Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the same stick on grip on my (much lighter) canon s95 for the past 4 years without any problems. In any case though, I always put my wrist through the wrist strap so even if the grip came off suddenly, it should still be attached to my arm.

05-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #107

Regarding a flash...

I just got a Sunpak PF20XD flash. It is a small (GN 20m) and light flash with both auto function and manual control. It has pre-flash suppresion so you can use it along with the MX-1 onboard flash.

I've been testing it and it works wonders for bounced flash, setting the onboard unit to -2. I'll try it on the streets this weekend and show you some results
05-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@gashcr - If it looks like it works, please let us know what setting you used on the flash. Thanks
05-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #109
Veteran Member

I use the GODOX CF-18 with my MX-1 when I want some fill flash.
Can be found cheaply on ebay.

Here's what I found works:

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
05-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just won an auction for a sunpak PF20XD. Would like to know which settings you find works once you test it.
05-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #111

Ok, I've tested the Sunpak flash during the weekend. What I mostly liked over the Godox is the size and functionality. This thing is pretty small, pretty close to a card deck. The other function that really shines is the easily accesible manual mode. I love being able to hand hold it and bounce it whenever I find suitable and adjust the power acordingly on the fly. On the bad side, it is completely useless outside. Even on a cloudy day. You need both your subject and the flash to be in the shade.

If you want to bounce it onto a low ceiling (my house is around 2,60m) I've set the MX-1 flash to -2 and pointed the Sunpak to the ceiling at 1/8 in the manual setting. Subject around 2m away, f/2.8 ISO 100. Obviously, different situations would require a different setting.

I'm attaching 2 pictures, first one with the onboard flash only, set to -0.3. The second one was shot with a setup pretty similar to the mentioned before, but I bounced the flash into a wall on my back since subjet was too close for a nice ceiling bounce. I like the results so far, light is a lot more even and flattering, and the horrible harsh shadows from the onboard flash are almost gone. Maybe I should have increased the power 1 stop on this one... but model was playing and it was hard enough to get these 2 some shots :P

Best thing about it is that you can get creative and use it a hairlight - backlight combined, or used as a side light. I'm even thinking on getting a second one in order to create more interesting setups .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
05-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, the second is more flattering. What mode settings did you use on the Sunpak (eg sync mode, A1, A2, etc)? Thanks

Last edited by Spodeworld; 05-26-2014 at 04:16 AM.
05-26-2014, 04:57 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gashcr Quote
Ok, I've tested the Sunpak flash during the weekend. What I mostly liked over the Godox is the size and functionality. This thing is pretty small, pretty close to a card deck. The other function that really shines is the easily accesible manual mode. I love being able to hand hold it and bounce it whenever I find suitable and adjust the power acordingly on the fly. On the bad side, it is completely useless outside. Even on a cloudy day. You need both your subject and the flash to be in the shade.
Actually, almost everything you said is pretty much exactly the same for the GODOX. And it's very close to the same size as the Sunpak.
Sunpak: 58 x 78 x 29mm
GODOX: 95 (inc the hotshoe mount) x 62 x 30mm
05-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I agree, the second is more flattering. What mode settings did you use on the Sunpak (eg sync mode, A1, A2, etc)? Thanks
@Spodeworld There's a little switch in the back of the flash for x-sync, pre-flash suppression slave and regular slave. It needs to be on the pre-flash suppression slave mode.

@Steve.Ledger I agree with the Godox being pretty similar, but I'm a bit picky with these things .I just liked better the power control on the Sunpak and to be honest haven't seen the Godox till now. I was actually thinking about the Metz 20 C-2, but I hated the color and the fact of it having the bracket integrated. I think it is a matter of preference. It is my imagination or the Godox has a swivel head? that looks cool
05-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #115
Veteran Member

From the photos of the GODOX is does appear ti have a tilting head I agree, but it does not. Hardly necessary really when hand holding the unit
05-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
From the photos of the GODOX is does appear ti have a tilting head I agree, but it does not. Hardly necessary really when hand holding the unit
Oh,tricky design then :P It would be nice if you like using it with the bracket, but I agree that handholding it is (at least for me) more convenient in most situations.
05-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks gashcr!
05-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I'm reading this right, there's no setting that works with the standard, default, flash setting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I use the GODOX CF-18 with my MX-1 when I want some fill flash.
Can be found cheaply on ebay.

Here's what I found works:
06-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My $200, new, MX-1 is supposed to come today, YAY!
Thanks to all the posters above for leading the way to some great accessories.
The brown slip-in case is already on a slow boat from China.

This is the camera I wanted, but was priced too high for me until the fire sale, so I had purchased a Fuji XF1 for $180.
I've really enjoyed the XF1, but look forward to the heft, and features of this camera, as well as the familiar to me Pentax controls.
06-26-2014, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the new acquisition! You're going to love shooting with it as well as the images it captures. The only significant drawback for me is the lag in SD card writing time, but I've just adjusted my expectations and learned to be patient. otherwise it's a cracking camera!