Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

RS1000 - SD cards don't format

I'm having SD card issues with an Optio RS1000. The camera and card have been in use for an extended length of time with no issues. Now, when I insert the SD card, the screen message says "Card not formatted". I've gone through the formatting procedure multiple times, and in each case, the screen message "Processing data" appears, and then a few seconds later it says "card not formatted".

I'll also mention - When the camera was new, I purchased two identical SD cards. Both formatted fine initially, but this problem of one of the cards not formatting appeared a few weeks later. I discontinued using what I thought was a defective or corrupted card, and the remaining card has worked fine for many months in that camera, and has just developed the formatting issue. But......the first card that could not be formatted in my first camera is now formatting and functioning fine in a second RS1000 that I bought a few weeks ago.

I'm now thinking that the problem isn't the cards, or I wouldn't have been able to reuse the first non-formatting card in the other camera. What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks for your advice.

03-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried formatting on your PC?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried formatting on your PC?
Thanks for the reply, Adam. No I haven't tried doing it on the PC......I didn't even know that was possible - I assumed from what the camera manual said, it wasn't possible to use a card that had been formatted on a different camera. Where would I likely find the information to do that? -Is it something in my camera manual, or would I be able to lift the instructions from a site online?