Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

WG-3 GPS - Help with using GPS function (or maybe I just need to complain...)

So, I'm a little dissappointed in this camera, but it is my fault being a newbie and all, getting in over my head, trying to assimilate too much info too quick. Note: this is my second digital point and click ever, last one I bought was about 9 years ago.

My dissappointment has to do with how the GPS functionality has been integrated with the 'on your computer' software

I'm going on a long adventure, decided I need something rugged. I decided on Pentax. Next choice: WG-2 or WG-3. I decided that it would be cool have GPS functionality.

This was my understanding...

I shoot pictures with GPS on over a long outdoor adventure over 100's of kilometers. I go home, upload my photos with GPS information to the specialized program that will automatically mark my map with the location I took each picture, along with importing a link into the program to the actual picture. Seemed like the most natural and useful expectation from a camera with GPS. You know, send your friends and family a link to this map, they can see your progress, as well as click on links to see pictures of individual points of your journey.

Apparently I was wrong. Or, maybe I just haven't figured it out yet...maybe someone on this forum will say, 'Hey, that's exactly what you can do, and this is how!"

I have my doubts. Sure I can take pictures that will display GPS coordinates on the camera (can I see these coordinates on my computer - not that I know of). Sure I can take a GPS log of my trail, unfortunately it's not linked to my pictures (as far as I know). I've spent a bunch of time looking into this on my own, and am at wits end. I am looking for someone to at least tell me, "Shawn, you can't do what you were hoping to do".

All right, that's my gripe. Anyone have any advice or can point me out to a link with some tips? Thanks!

05-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if the WG-3 has an option to turn the GPS on or off, but my first bet would be tha it was never turned on. My cell phone has GPS turned off by default because a lot of people freak out over privacy issues - I'm willing to bet that its turned off by default on the WG-3 for similar reasons.

EDIT: What software are you using? If you simply upload a JPG to flickr, or 500px or Picasa you *should* have it automatically map it out if it was on in the EXIF data. Any chance you could post a picture with the EXIF visible so we could see if its even there?
05-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

I downloaded Picasa, which I didn't even know existed until you mentioned it, uploaded an image, and watched it automatically tag ad map an image on the google maps. I'm not sure why Media Impressions (the software that came with the camera) didn't work, but I like Picasa, and Picasa Web, so I'll stick with that. Thanks again!
01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Any way to link to Google Earth??