Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

X-5... The demise of Pentax!?

First, a search did not even come up with Pentax X-5!!

I bought this because I wanted a better option to my dated Canon ELPH.

My X-5 lasted less than 6 months - major problems - what happened to Pentax Quality???
Pentax's online support is worse than ever.

HEY!! Over 40 (YES FORTY!) years of exclusive Pentax. I am beginning to have my doubts.

I was actually considering the K-5 II - think I'll wait on that...

Guess everyone here is an SLR type... I own two K-10s, and enough older film Pentax cameras and lenses to choke a horse.
This was a knock-around (I had hoped) but quality seems to be sadly lacking.

Last edited by fbecht; 06-02-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added content
06-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What happened that caused it to fail?
06-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fbecht Quote

My X-5 lasted less than 6 months - major problems - what happened to Pentax Quality???

HEY!! Over 40 (YES FORTY!) years of exclusive Pentax. I am beginning to have my doubts.

Guess everyone here is an SLR type... I own two K-10s, and enough older film Pentax cameras and lenses to choke a horse.
The X-5 has a lot of outsourced components in it, just like many other point and shoots from various brands. Luckily, the warranty lasts for a year, so you should be able to get a replacement or at least have Pentax fix your camera for you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is an X-5 thread at
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/19949...-got-x5-2.html
There are very few problems with K5-II, if any (contrary to K5).

06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is demised?

What problems are you having? Just curious what the problem is. As noted it is a one year warranty so I would get it sent back asap.
06-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Every camera brand makes duds. Took me months to just communicate with canon over their dud (actually 2 cameras same issue) and they wouldn't take any responsibility. I had a dud pentax film point and shoot camera going back 20 years ago. I have more recently purchased a lumix underwater camera that fogs up when you hit the water - great. If all the camera brands stuck with about 6 megapixels with their point and shoots, the cameras would take much better images. etc etc. Buying electronic gear where the model has a very short life on shop shelves will always be a gamble.
06-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The X-5 has a lot of outsourced components in it, just like many other point and shoots from various brands. Luckily, the warranty lasts for a year, so you should be able to get a replacement or at least have Pentax fix your camera for you.
I received an X-5 as a gift, I didn't expect all that much from it (being a point and shoot). It's been a great camera. Although I like my K-30 better, my X-5 is a cheap durable camera I can easily carry around.

06-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Last year we had a 3 month old Canon S100, brought in NZ (USD $600) - a premium compact camera at the time. We were in Stockholm, Sweden about to watch the changing of the Palace Guard when the lens zoom mechanism broke. The camera at that point was unusable, and had to be sent (once we got back to NZ) for warrantee repair, which took about 2 months. About a month after the S100 broke Canon issued a worldwide advisory on the issue (it was that common) with guarantee of no questions asked repair in case of this failure. Thankfully I had my K5 with me also, and it performed faultlessly for the entire trip, and since.

Since Canon is having its premium compact cameras fail due to the use of cheap weaker plastic components - does this mean this is the demise of Canon?

Of course it doesn't!!!

What it means is that very camera is built to a price these days, and they all have strengths, weaknesses, issues and failures. Don't even get me started on the Nikon D800 focus issues, or the D600 oil and waste issues in the mirror box. That isn't great publicity for Nikon either - but no one is predicting their demise because of it.

As camera manufacturers continue to outsource production I am not expecting the problem to get any better.

I don't think Pentax is any different than any other manufacturer in regard to quality.
06-02-2013, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, that makes sense since the X5 and K-5II are so similar.
I make it a policy to never buy anything from any company that doesn't have a perfect record.

06-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, that makes sense since the X5 and K-5II are so similar.
I can see why you look up to the Simpsons.
06-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think that the X5 is still under warranty. CRIS in Chandler, AZ does Pentax warranty service. The camera with the sales receipt (which contains the date), is all you need. Just contact them directly.
06-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Unregistered User

I believe you got a bad copy. Read the 46 reviews of X5 on amazon.co.uk, virtually all favourable.

I have an X90 myself; never had a problem.

Dom

06-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Every camera brand makes duds.
true, I have a canon 1DX with a dud sensor* - D3s with a misaligned AF module component, a Leica M9 with a dead battery, a Leica M8 that ate through freshly charged batteries in less than a day. If every component used in a camera doesn't have competent QC you can expect duds, and the chance of dud components ruining the parts increases with the amount of outsourced components.

* though Canon makes their sensors in-house, after a few days of use I had noticed the sensor had a rather serious issue with a residue which turned out to be on the reverse side of the cover glass used on the sensor. Something I could no get to without voiding my warranty, to canon's credit - they replaced the entire camera.
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
X-5 Problem Update

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

First, my issues about Pentax go a bit deeper than the X-5 problem. Why can't I buy Tamron lenses? (Owned by Pentax). When I started with Pentax eons ago, they were a contender and there were lots of Pentax mount options.

The other day I read about Samyang's Shift lens - visited their site - NOT available in Pentax mount. What!!
Maybe it's because Pentax is more affordable (a shrinking point) than Nikon or Canon. HOWEVER - I agree we get a helluva camera for a lot less money.

Anyway, back to the X-5. This seems to be an issue with this model.

Here's a link on this forum to the problem I am having:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/20992...ml#post2407049

Of course, other point-and-shoots have similar issues. I was just hoping for more from Pentax.It's that I sometimes want a lighter, simpler camera, not always a DSLR

noose.

The problem is repeatable. It is a Low Light (In this case today, outdoors at noon under a porch roof?) Focusing and using Flash. I was attempting to shoot a bird's nest -

locked up! I have been able to reproduce the issue several times. Sometimes the display will come back after 3 to 5 minutes. Other times it is totally locker. Batteries

must be removed, thenr upon replacing you get a "Battery Depleted" message. Camera shuts down, then you can restart.

Guess this may be a full daylight camera only.

I will be sending it in for repair / replacement, but don't have high hopes as support acted like this was never heard of - typical I guess with any manufacturer.

Wish me luck, and thanks again for the replies.

Fred
06-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Inactive Account

David

Not sure if this is any help for x5 owners but page 204 of owners manual shows
very occasionally static electricity may cause camera malfunction.
It goes on to say take out batteries and install them again etc.
My x5 is 3 weeks old and 1 lockup so far did what they said and its ok.
Will see how it goes.