Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Good things about the X-5!

Feel free to post all of the things you like about your X-5 here! I know their are some people that like it because of its amazing reviews.
My likings so far
1. In camera photo editing (really love this)
2. Picture Quality (yes it has a small sensor, but it puts out some good pics)
3. The Grip, it just feels amazing in hand!
4. The Price, was 199 at target!
5. The looks, it looks far better than a few of its super zoom competitors

That's what I have come to like after a few weeks of use, share what you like and post your favorite pics!

06-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A good initiative to start this thread, there seems to be a renewed interest in the X5, not only on PentaxForums. I recently looked at it as an alternative for the Kr (discontinued) because you can put AA batteries in it directly, it is light (500 gr), and it has the same body style (silver or black). I like its no-nonsense appeal, kinda funny cult camera.
06-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To focus manually (MF) the PDF manual says to use the 4-way controller (chapter: Taking Pictures | Setting the shooting functions | Selecting the focus mode). Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING). Seems to be an awkward procedure. Can I also focus with the lens itself?
06-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
If you could focus with the lens, and if it recorded in RAW this would be the best bridge camera available. I have not tried the manual focus much, but I do know that the rubber on the lens is strictly for looks.

06-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jetwiz Quote
If you could focus with the lens, and if it recorded in RAW this would be the best bridge camera available. I have not tried the manual focus much, but I do know that the rubber on the lens is strictly for looks.
Thanks jetwiz. Well, that tells me enough. I'm actually searching for something that has an OVF + AA batteries to be used as an outdoor point-and-shoot (for about $300,- max). I also gave the Lumix (Panasonic) bridge camera's a look but none is fitting my needs. It's probably quite unusual to have a bridge camera that can be focused manually with the lens. The K-r is OK for me, but (new) kits almost costs as much as a K5-II body. So, that's no option either.
I think I'm going to wait for the K3. When it's APS-C my current K5-II can be configured as an outdoor camera, fitted with a DA 40mm Lim to keep it small.

That said, I still like the X5. It is cheap and packed with many features, some of them serious (1 cm macro) others quite funny (smile, blink, pet detection). When I have the chance to take one in hands maybe I still buy one.