Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

WG-3 macro disappointment

I found a WG-2 at my local camera store, but waited for the WG-3 to come out. I'm very disappointed in the quality of the macro shots I am getting, especially that of depth-of-field. Although some of my shots are excellent, most of them are blah, suffering from fuzziness and lack of detail, especially in bright sun and shadow. I expected more from a 16MP camera with 1cm macro. And the digital microscope mode only processes at 2 MP!!! What a disappointment.

I'm not getting high dof, i.e., many of my insect shots are not focused well. Now, I've just read your in-depth review, which was VERY helpful, and I have made some adjustments (took off IQ and set ISO to 125).

But, no matter what I do, I can't get the camera to go above f/3.0, even if the speed is up to 1/800!

I need some help here, guys, or I'm going to get rid of this thing...

(Sorry for the rant.)

06-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cadam Quote
And the digital microscope mode only processes at 2 MP!!! What a disappointment.
If you put the camera in P mode and go into 1cm macro mode manually via the focusing menu (right button on the 4 way pad), you can shoot at full resolution. There's going to be heavy distortion around the corners in 1cm macro mode, but at least you'll be able to work with the full-size image.

Can't help you with the aperture issue, unfortunately- the camera has a mind of its own as far as settings go. While reviewing it, I found that at ISO 800, it decided to go all the way down to the minimum aperture for no apparent reason.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's quite a marvelous little machine in my opinion. Macro shots aren't ever going to look like a DSLR+Macro Lens combo though. I might suggest using additional lighting (LED Flashlight works at close range), as well as taking Adam's advice in order to get better results.