Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Pentax compacts have sensor shift SR?

I'm looking for a second hand Pentax P&S for my daughter (so I can get my Q back!). I was hoping for one with sensor shift shake reduction. Most seem to have digital SR but I have seen a few do have real SR. But which ones?

Last edited by p38arover; 08-07-2013 at 11:49 PM.
08-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Current models with SR include the WG-3, X-5, and MX-1. Not very many legacy cameras have it, but off the top of my head I recall that the S1, RZ-10, I-10, RZ-18, and VS-20 do. Check out our camera DB for a complete list (looking at the thumbnails will probably suffice):

Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

IMO it doesn't make much of a difference in a point-and-shoot, though, as the automation prevents you from locking in a manageable shutter speed such as 1/10s or 1/15s in low light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I hadn't thought about the content of your final paragraph.

From all the reviews I've read thus far, it's not looking like the older Pentax P&S cameras are worth pursuing.

My daughter is going to the US for a holiday and doesn't want to take the K100D so I have lent her the Q. However, I wonder if a P&S might better suit her. Also, if she loses it, I won't be that worried.
08-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Thanks Adam. I hadn't thought about the content of your final paragraph.

From all the reviews I've read thus far, it's not looking like the older Pentax P&S cameras are worth pursuing.

My daughter is going to the US for a holiday and doesn't want to take the K100D so I have lent her the Q. However, I wonder if a P&S might better suit her. Also, if she loses it, I won't be that worried.
The X-5 might be an option for this trip? It's relatively inexpensive.

08-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The X90 also has mechanical SR, if you can find one.

Yeah it's a bridge camera which nobody seem to respect around here, but don't be put off by that. For one thing, it is still very compact overall, compared to most other bridge cams. Also, it comes in a nice "steel blue" color.

It allows full manual control of shutter speed, of course, so the can SR make a difference.
08-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Lens Buying Addict

Pentax Optio A40 has mechanical IBIS for a 12Mp CCD 11.7 sensor. As compacts go it has quite extensive manual controls as well. It was released May, 2008. My wife still carries hers in her purse everywhere she goes, though she also has a Q now.

Review: Overview