Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Question on MX-1 electronic shutter option

The manual doesn't seem to say much about the electronic shutter, which is switched off by default. Since it expands the available shutter speeds, is there a reason I wouldn't want it turned on all the time?

08-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #2

I'd wondered the same thing so your question inspired me to do what research I could on the internet.

Took some digging but came upon a couple of enlightening discussion threads:

Electronic shutter vs mechanical shutter: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
¿Why don't EVIL cameras have silent shutters?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

From what some posters indicate using the electronic shutter may negatively affect the image quality by making the sensor more prone to light blooming during the exposure.

In my experience the MX1, even with electronic shutter enabled, will cap the shutter speed at 1/2000 unless you bump it higher in Tv or M. If that's the case then it's probably to preserve the image quality.

Still digesting all the other trivia I picked up along the way.

Anyone with more knowledge got any insight?
08-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting. So I wonder if the electronic shutter is enabled, does the MX-1 always use it, or only when the shutter speed is over 1/2000?
08-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #4

I'm pretty sure it only uses it at speeds faster than 1/2000 and even those it doesn't seem to automatically go to.

08-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found this comment on a review from digital camera review. It agrees that it makes sense to keep the electronic shutter activated.

Pentax MX-1: Performance

QuoteQuote:
And while we're on the subject of shutters, the MX-1 has two settings. The default setting provides a shutter speed range from 1/2000 of a second to 30 seconds; you can go to item number 7 on page 2 of the custom settings menu and enable "electronic shutter" to expand that range to 1/8000 of a second to 30 seconds. With a minimum aperture of f/8, that 1/2000 of a second might be marginal with a light subject on a sunny day, particularly if you bump to the ISO to 200 gain some extra speed without a significant noise penalty. Shooting the MX-1 with the electronic shutter both enabled and disabled I could detect no change in autofocus times or perceived shutter lag -- enabling the electronic shutter seems like a no-brainer to me.
08-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #6

I can confirm it doesn't use the electronic shutter slower than 1/2000; mechanical shutter makes a click at speeds slower than 1/2000, silent when faster.

Like the guy said, no reason not to have it enabled.
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, is there any downside to leaving it on?

QuoteOriginally posted by MX1_fanboy Quote
I can confirm it doesn't use the electronic shutter slower than 1/2000; mechanical shutter makes a click at speeds slower than 1/2000, silent when faster.

Like the guy said, no reason not to have it enabled.
08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

Not really.

Unless you consider it a problem that your camera will give you the option to take photos that may be more prone to flair if you set it to.

Probably set to off in the factory defaults for this reason.