Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX-1 and RAW

Well, I just got my MX-1. Seems quite nice. The write speeds are painfully slow in RAW, and it lacks a bit in ability to customize your settings, but other than that it seems quite promising (OK, I won't bring up the lack of a hot shoe).

I have the camera set up only to shoot in RAW. But, when I change the image size control from 12 to 7 or 5 megapixels, for example, I see the number of shots left on the card go down. I would understand that if I was shooting JPEGs or RAW+, but I am only shooting RAW. Does that selection also impact the size of the RAW file? That would be the first time I've seen a megapixel selection impact the size of a RAW file. I thought that selection only impacts the JPEG but not the RAW files which would always be at the full 12 megapixels.

One other thing. I haven't noticed an in camera menu setting that would allow for a firmware update, if one should ever come out. I am hoping they will address the RAW write speeds. Does this mean under its current structure a firmware update would not be possible? It's hard for me to imagine it was designed like that.

Thanks

08-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #2

Hi - I don't think the lack of a menu option for firmware updates means that won't be possible. I think that you'd end up putting firmware on a formatted memory card, and the camera would recognise it when you power up. I don't recall my K-5 having a firmware option in its menu system either, but there have been a number of updates for that camera. For the MX-1 I'd like more control over NR so I'm hoping for an update at some point.

Jon
08-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jon...I assumed that there would be a provision to update, if an update comes out....which I hope it does.

Anyone know if there is any impact to RAW file size when a megapixel selection is made?

Thanks
08-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

On most models (like K-5) there is no FW update menu option. You turn of the camera, put the FW in the root directory of the SD card, and hold the Menu button down when turning on the camera. Then the camera shows you the FW it finds, and gives you the option to upgrade. You do the same process to "show" what FW is already loaded on the camera. You might try this trick and see if the MX-1 tells you what firmware is loaded.

Only in some newer cameras (K-01, Q, probably the K-30, maybe K-5II/s) did they start having a regular menu option to view/upgrade the firmware.

08-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just turned it on with the Menu pressed down. It showed me the firmware version, but no option was presented to upgrade.
08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

That's because you don't yet have another firmware binary file in the root directory of your SD card.
08-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I have the camera set up only to shoot in RAW. But, when I change the image size control from 12 to 7 or 5 megapixels, for example, I see the number of shots left on the card go down. I would understand that if I was shooting JPEGs or RAW+, but I am only shooting RAW. Does that selection also impact the size of the RAW file? That would be the first time I've seen a megapixel selection impact the size of a RAW file. I thought that selection only impacts the JPEG but not the RAW files which would always be at the full 12 megapixels.
Just checked and the camera does do this. Weird - because the megapixel size is listed specifically as the JPEG record size but it does change the number of shots left on the card.

The way to test it out would be to take RAW photos at the different settings and look at their resolution in your computer (or in camera in the playback??).

Either way, that shots left number is never that accurate on any camera in my experience. I always seem to get a +20% out of it.
08-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went and gave it a test. It doesn't make a difference to the size of the RAW file. They were all about the same. It only affects the JPG.