Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

1 inch sensor in wg series?

While the current waterproof compacts are ok. I always wonder why not a larger sensor as like those in the Sony rx 100? Throw in some great video control and frame rate, wifi, tiltable screen, raw, aa filterless option, nd filter.... we are good to go!

08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be very hard to keep the same form factor if you still want to be able to zoom...not sure if a fixed-lens waterproof would sell.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah...I see. That could be a problem.
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It would be very hard to keep the same form factor if you still want to be able to zoom...not sure if a fixed-lens waterproof would sell.
Well, it wouldn't have to have a large zoom range. If the sensor and optics are well designed, then you could even crop. They make waterproof cases for the Lx series of cameras I believe. WhichUnderwaterCamera.com

I think there would be a market for it, have great high iso capabilities, full manual flash control and the divers would be all over it!

08-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some thing like 24 70 or even 20 50 f1.4 to 2.8 with great macro capabilities had to be highly desirable!
09-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think a larger sensor would also be significantly more expensive on its own since less units fit on the same sized wafers used in their manufacturing.
09-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually the waterproof cameras are ruggedized, which seems to rule out a tilt-out screen. I do think a bigger sensor in a waterproof camera is an interesting idea, but the market is more for kids and families - plus the ruggedized series for people who are out at parks, hikes etc. Everything has to be internal, so I think you'd be well out of the pocket-sized arena.

09-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Nikonos were fixed FL.

A larger sensor would very much help under water.

I suspect we'll start seeing a lot of 1" sensor zooms and fixed lens cameras in the near future to differentiate from smartphones and keep margins higher.
09-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Nikonos were fixed FL.

A larger sensor would very much help under water.

I suspect wel start seeing a lot of 1" sensor zooms and fixed lens cameras in the near future to differentiate from smartphones and keep margins higher.
I agree on this. They might split the wp market into enthusiast and mass market. Not forgetting many extreme sports need good iq and vq. I am from the outdoor industry and it is frustrating to see the lack of options. There has to be a better way out.
09-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nikon AW1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review so looking forward! bye pentax Hello nikon!
09-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. A very smart move by Nikon. Still not sure the price is realistic.
09-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony rx100 ii is going for 700 and this two lens kit with body is 900. 1 inch punch is pretty lethal these days lol.