Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #15

Sorry for the wait. My creative juices weren't really flowing today so let me know if this picture is workable. I literally pointed and shot since I couldn't really see the LCD in the bright sun. If not, I'll look through old stuff and putting something else up. Full size link below. I don't remember if I restricted downloading. Let me know if it doesn't work.

The Rules
1. Have Fun!
2. Use any Post Processing Software and techniques.
3. Entries will close on September 30, 2013.
4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels
5. Max of 3 image entries per person. Entries may be withdrawn or changed
6. List software used, as well as your method, with your entry so we can all learn.
7. There are no limits or restrictions - make the subject image into whatever you want!
But please do not copy or alter other entries....
8. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date, and judge’s next competition

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3795/9694686849_ddaf8c8eab_o.jpg

09-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is my entry

I used a piece of software that has been pretty much my "go to" image processing workhorse when it comes to creating HDRs and single image enhancements. It's called EasyHDR Pro and it creates natural looking HDRs without it being over processed. After I did that, I brought the finished image into Photoshop, applied a high pass filter sharpening to the image. This technique I learned sharpens edges without sharpening the overall image. I also used Topaz Labs DeNoise to remove some color noise that resulted from HDR processing.
Attached Images

09-08-2013, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started with DxO Viewpoint in order to correct for the perspective.
I first tried for a full turn to a straight on point of view but there wasn't enough leeway so, I settled for a straitening of the parallels.

Then I ran this result through DxO Filmpack 4 to get these 3 interpretations.

"Photo 60's"

"Fuji Velvia 50"

"Kodak Tri-X 400"

Godzilla was otherwise engaged.
Oh and the ufo just crashed somewhere in New Mexico.
Sorry
09-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Nice entries guys

09-08-2013, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I took Bart's challenge to attempt correcting the perspective. I don't have a perspective specific app though so tweaked with the perspective tool in Gimp for a couple hours (while watching football) to get this result. I like Bart's overall result better but it was good practice for me. I did basic perspective corrections that would have normally been enough but weren't for this image. So then I went to selective perspective corrections of different areas that didn't look right and tried to clone things back to not being distracting after that... By the time I was burned out on trying I was tempted to just dump the efforts but I don't think it's bad it just doesn't look good compared to Bart's.

After all the fussing with perspective I resized and spent about 2 minutes with the 'beautify' filter plugin in gimp with about 5 different filters adjusting opacity to taste on each one to get to the final image.
09-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thank you, Samtr87.

That is pretty close, todd.
And I lost more of the picture in the process.
09-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Thank you, Samtr87.

That is pretty close, todd.
And I lost more of the picture in the process.
Yeah, it's that top right corner that is the trickiest part, which your correction wasn't able to fully fix either...
09-18-2013, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Here's my effort with this fun pic. I lost even more of the photo to perspective correction. I too ran into the wonky right corner. I used a warp tool and attempted to correct the angles. I don't know if I helped the situation or just caused another issue Anyway, it was a good exercise in using layers and trying out some presets I've never used before.
Edits done in LR4 for perspective, rotation and distortion, white balance, noise reduction etc.. Corel PSP4 for layers, cloning and photoshop for the warp tool. I found the warp tool later in Corel also.

Used Lightroom B & W Yellow filter Preset on this one.

Attached Images

Last edited by chemtech; 09-18-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: All the pics ran together.
09-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The Second is a preset from Topaz adjust - Retro style II ( the only one that gave a cooler sky tone).
Attached Images

09-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The third is just for fun - it's rather shocking - but the patterns and details really are highlighted A preset from Topaz again for old film styles.
Attached Images

09-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Great result.
I like the interpretations!
09-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Thank you, very much, Bart!
10-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
So it is October 1st and that means it's time to pick the winner for September's contest. Thanks for participating everyone.

3rd place goes to todd. The building in this picture is in an older area of town and I think the colors showed it well.

2nd place goes to Bart. I liked how the reds stand out because that was what the building was all about: the red bricks, the red sign, and the red accents. And it retained a classic style that fit look of this neighborhood.

1st place goes to chemtech. It was a very nicely done B&W and what stood out to me the most is the perspective correction which in my opinion was the best. And since this was the hardest to fix in the picture, it makes it deserve 1st. But, the pyramid frame thing on the top of the building got cut off and I think it would have been better to completely take it out.

Congrats to the winners.
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thank you, samtr87!
Congratulations to Todd and especially to Edith of course!
10-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Yes congrats Edith (aka PerspectiveMaster)! And to you too Bart. Thanks for hosting samtr87!