Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #1

Pentax WG-10 questions about scratches

I recently purchased a Pentax WG-10 camera for general purpose point and shoot. I wanted something sturdy that takes better pictures than my phone but can withstand being stuff into my pant pocket, dropped into the creek and get handled by a toddler.

I notice that the phone does not have a retractable lens cover. I don't care if the case get scratch, but having the lens or LCD getting scratch is a no-no.

1. How durable are the lens and the display? Most phone tend to have a coating on the display that resist scratches from metal keys, but not from sand.

2. Because of sand scratches, I usually put a screen protector on the display. Anyone recommend a particular brand.

3. Is there actual lens protector? I often put a filter on my SLR to prevent scratches. This camera actually comes with an adapter that I can click in front and screw on a 46mm filter. However, the adapter sticks out and probably snap if it was dropped. Any suggestions?

Paul

09-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Paul. I've got a pretty new WG10 also, for kayaking/rafting/snorkeling. So far it's held up well as far as scratches - a couple of itty bitty ones on the LCD screen, none on the lens cover. If you look close the lens itself is protected behind the front glass, which is in turn recessed a bit into the camera body. I don't think I'd spend too much worry about it, just go out and have fun with it.

Jim
09-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
WG-2 Scraches

I bought a WG-2 for a trip to Jamaica this spring and I found that the front cover is very scratch resistant. But I found that the rear LCD screen is really prone to scratches. I take pride in taking care of my equipment but during a week on the beach the rear screen came up with several scratches. These are only visible when the screen is off and the light hits them just right. They are not visible when the screen is in use.

I think the carbine hook was the culprit when I was carrying the camera in the pocket of my swim trunks. I would definitely invest in a screen protector if I had to do it again...but they are only cosmetic in nature.

Here is a picture of the rear screen.

And with it on...you can't see the scratches when it is turn on.