Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about the Pentax Q7 with zoom? Menus like your DSLRs. Raw is as fast as the K-01. Image quality comparable to MX-1. For other shooting you can pop on the f1.9 normal prime or the fisheye. It has the standard Pentax hotshoe. The Q is my take anywhere camera.Check out Blunty's original Q review. Q7 has bigger sensor with even better IQ. The Q is small and fun.
thanks
barondla

10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
How about the Pentax Q7 with zoom? Menus like your DSLRs. Raw is as fast as the K-01. Image quality comparable to MX-1. For other shooting you can pop on the f1.9 normal prime or the fisheye. It has the standard Pentax hotshoe. The Q is my take anywhere camera.Check out Blunty's original Q review. Q7 has bigger sensor with even better IQ. The Q is small and fun.
thanks
barondla
I saw that review and I fell in love with the damn little thing. I'm trying not to buy it, on purpose. If I do that, I know I'll want all the lenses because there are only a handful of them -in fact, I want the full kit that includes the body and all lenses, but it's a lot of money, and just the body+kit lens is $500, which makes me want the better performer MX-1 for $400.. not speaking of RAW write speeds of course.

For now I want a point and shoot, be it the X20, MX-1, XF1, RX100.. not another EVIL one --yet. My plan is to get it [the Q7] in the very long run, after a compact and the K-3. That means probably until next year.
10-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 user here who picked up a MX-1 as my walk-around. Got it for 399 (in Canada), but now see it for 299 at Henrys. Honestly, I like the thing more than I thought I would. It's been an everyday friend, and I am very please with the image quality. The fast lens is great, and when zoomed all the way in you can get some nice bokeh. The build quality is very good, and I have enjoyed the tilting screen for street shots.

One of the main reasons for me to get it was how it felt in hand. Yes, there were smaller cameras, some with better specs, but they often felt slippy, or not secure in the hand. There was just something about the MX-1 that felt very secure while carrying it.

There are a few issues - the RAW write time is a bit slow, but you sigh and get used to it. As others have said, we hope for a firmware update. The camera hangs strangely with the strap lugs, but one of those pseudo leather ebay cases (really cheap) actually look ok, and make it a great old school walk-around.

Yes, the screen is a bit bulky and takes away from the look, but for me, the main deficiency is the ring around the lens, which does nothing. If it was a manual zoom, that would have truly elevated the camera. That was a missed opportunity. I don't need a hot shoe, because this is not the camera I am using with a flash. An optical finder would have been nice, but again I have the K30 for that style of shooting.

The key thing I would recommend is holding the various cameras. The Sony cams, for example, just didn't feel right to me. The Olympus xz2 (it's twin in many ways) was good, but again felt a bit cramped. It's hard for us to get it all - we want pocketable, but them the controls and hold feel cramped. I don't put the mx1 in my pocket - it's just too big for that. But it goes in my knapsack or slung over a shoulder, a lot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
10-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
K-30 user here who picked up a MX-1 as my walk-around. Got it for 399 (in Canada), but now see it for 299 at Henrys. Honestly, I like the thing more than I thought I would. It's been an everyday friend, and I am very please with the image quality. The fast lens is great, and when zoomed all the way in you can get some nice bokeh. The build quality is very good, and I have enjoyed the tilting screen for street shots.

One of the main reasons for me to get it was how it felt in hand. Yes, there were smaller cameras, some with better specs, but they often felt slippy, or not secure in the hand. There was just something about the MX-1 that felt very secure while carrying it.

There are a few issues - the RAW write time is a bit slow, but you sigh and get used to it. As others have said, we hope for a firmware update. The camera hangs strangely with the strap lugs, but one of those pseudo leather ebay cases (really cheap) actually look ok, and make it a great old school walk-around.

Yes, the screen is a bit bulky and takes away from the look, but for me, the main deficiency is the ring around the lens, which does nothing. If it was a manual zoom, that would have truly elevated the camera. That was a missed opportunity. I don't need a hot shoe, because this is not the camera I am using with a flash. An optical finder would have been nice, but again I have the K30 for that style of shooting.

The key thing I would recommend is holding the various cameras. The Sony cams, for example, just didn't feel right to me. The Olympus xz2 (it's twin in many ways) was good, but again felt a bit cramped. It's hard for us to get it all - we want pocketable, but them the controls and hold feel cramped. I don't put the mx1 in my pocket - it's just too big for that. But it goes in my knapsack or slung over a shoulder, a lot.
Wow, that's very cheap! The one I'm eyeballing is $400 [includes SD card and whatnot] but I didn't know they were $100 less expensive. I might have to check elsewhere.

The RAW speed does worry me, but the K-01 isn't stellar in that department anyway and I have no complaints, so I think I could live with the MX-1's speed, and hope for an update too. Now, the ring around the lens.. When I started writing this thread it was Pentax vs Fuji. Now it's versus the XZ-2 and precisely because of that focus/aperture ring around the lens. It's like having a mini dSLR. If I didn't know the MX-1 existed, I'd get the Oly. The problem is that I can't go and try them myself, I have never seen them in real life and probably never will in a store until I buy mine. Here in Mexico they don't carry Pentax or Olympus anywhere I've looked, so I'm stuck with online reviews and that's why it occured to me I should ask here.

Manual focus is a biggie for me because I tend to shoot faster that way, or simply gives me better control. If the MX-1's autofocus is good enough, I probably wouldn't need it and relegate manual focusing to when I'm planning on using my SLRs. That sounds simple enough.. but knowing there's a camera around that size, around that price, with pretty much the same IQ, but looks horrible in comparison and does have that focusing ring.. that's what makes my brain itch.

It basically comes down like this: The camera I'm in love with VS the camera that is great as a tool but, for me, has no soul.

Note: Fantastic photo!

10-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter

That was my choice too, the Oly or the MX-1. I really like the Olympus but again the Mx-1 felt better in my hand. For what it's worth, I've found the autofocus on the MX1 works fine, and I haven't used the manual focus (which is a bit awkward). But that's how I use the MX-1 - a street camera, using autofocus and the tiltable screen. Right now, at the store in Canada where I bought my camera, there is a 200 dollar difference between the two, in favour of the Pentax.
10-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
That was my choice too, the Oly or the MX-1. I really like the Olympus but again the Mx-1 felt better in my hand. For what it's worth, I've found the autofocus on the MX1 works fine, and I haven't used the manual focus (which is a bit awkward). But that's how I use the MX-1 - a street camera, using autofocus and the tiltable screen. Right now, at the store in Canada where I bought my camera, there is a 200 dollar difference between the two, in favour of the Pentax.
I wish there was a camera store here where I live..

Wow, $200 difference? I see the Pentax for $400 in a kit, and the Oly for $360 just the camera, sent from Hong Kong [both on eBay]. This is why price is not a deciding factor here, they're both the same and I can't decide! Haha.. I usually go for function rather than form, and my obvious choice would be the Olympus. But oh that MX-1 is surely making me forget about manual controls with that look and feel everyone talks about, and the macro function. Actually I'm puzzled, if it's the same sensor and lens, why does the Olympus not have that macro function?

Anyhow.. you see how torn I am. Could you please describe to me how the manual focus works in the MX-1?
10-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #22

Original Poster
In case anyone was wondering, I bought the Olympus XZ-2. Why? Because it's the same sensor and lens as the Pentax, and sacrificing auto-macro mode and looks, I went for that excellent ring around the lens in the Oly. And the RAW writing speed. Let's see how it goes once it gets here! =D
10-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the update. I hope it delivers. How do you know itīs the same sensor and lens as pentax?

10-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
thanks for the update. I hope it delivers. How do you know itīs the same sensor and lens as pentax?
Well, since I started this quest I read about 5 reviews for each camera, learned pretty much all the specs, saw several videos.. they share the f/1.8-2.5 lens, made by Olympus. It's also the same 1/1.7" sensor as stated in various reviews and direct comparison between both cameras. They share lens and sensor, but processor and controls [and software of course] are different, that's what made me go for the Oly; I get to keep the marvellous macro mode, super fast apertures, nice zoom range, excellent image quality and noise performance.. and get extra stuff like that ring around the lens and a 5fps burst rate even in RAW + JPEG. I only sacrifice brass and Pentax fandom, but since I'm getting a K-3 [eventually] I can live with that hehe.

Check this out.
10-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
Site Supporter

If it wasn't for the slow RAW write speed, the MX-1 would be really awesome!
10-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't know anything about either camera but woot has the MX1 for half off.

Woot: The Community: Woots: Pentax MX-1 12MP 4x Opt Digital Camera
10-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
If it wasn't for the slow RAW write speed, the MX-1 would be really awesome!
Oooh, nice macro! The Oly should be exactly the same, as it has the same sensor and same lens. What the Pentax has in total advantage is how it automagically switches from normal to macro to super-macro modes. The Olympus needs some menu fiddling to set it up every time.
10-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I don't know anything about either camera but woot has the MX1 for half off.

Woot: The Community: Woots: Pentax MX-1 12MP 4x Opt Digital Camera
Wow, that is an amazing deal! If I had more money I'd get it, thanks for the link and great find, but I already bought the Olympus XZ-2 [although it hasn't arrived].