Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Can't decide yet: MX-1 or X20?

So now that I have 3 SLRs [2 digitals, 1 analogue] I want the one camera that I'll carry with me always, everywhere and anywhere [besides my phone]. It has to be sturdy, fast [as in turn on and shoot right away], and small. And, of course, powerful enough to not make me miss my SLR when taking most photos.

I've read the reviews, I've watched the videos, I've seen a few sample images.. Maybe writing it down will help me with the decision, but I'm posting it here to see if someone could give me advice or share experiences [and photos!] with either of the cameras. Help with this, please? =]

This is how I see them:

MX-1:
Pros: Smaller, better IQ, $100 cheaper, tilty screen, faster lens, is a Pentax.
Cons: RAW write speed and no firmware updates, no optical viewfinder, no hotshoe [for a viewfinder anyway, I never use flash].

X20:
Pros: Looks a tad cooler, has optical viewfinder [!!!], has those Fuji film-esque effects.
Cons: Slower lens than the Pentax, IQ is not as good even with the larger sensor and more MP, is $100 more expensive, I've read several comments of people repairing their Fujis so I'd think they are unreliable, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

UPDATE: I made a choice. It wasn't easy, but I chose the Olympus XZ-2. It's basically the MX-1 with another shell, and that shell sports a ring around the lens for manual focus, aperture, or zoom control.

Last edited by FoTom; 10-10-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: I made up my mind.
10-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
So now that I have 3 SLRs [2 digitals, 1 analogue] I want the one camera that I'll carry with me always, everywhere and anywhere [besides my phone]. It has to be sturdy, fast [as in turn on and shoot right away], and small. And, of course, powerful enough to not make me miss my SLR when taking most photos.

I've read the reviews, I've watched the videos, I've seen a few sample images.. Maybe writing it down will help me with the decision, but I'm posting it here to see if someone could give me advice or share experiences [and photos!] with either of the cameras. Help with this, please? =]

This is how I see them:

MX-1:
Pros: Smaller, better IQ, $100 cheaper, tilty screen, faster lens, is a Pentax.
Cons: RAW write speed and no firmware updates, no optical viewfinder, no hotshoe [for a viewfinder anyway, I never use flash].

X20:
Pros: Looks a tad cooler, has optical viewfinder [!!!], has those Fuji film-esque effects.
Cons: Slower lens than the Pentax, IQ is not as good even with the larger sensor and more MP, is $100 more expensive, I've read several comments of people repairing their Fujis so I'd think they are unreliable, please correct me if I'm mistaken.
The lens on the MX-1 is really excellent and I would hate to give up the speed. I also think the IQ is very impressive for the sensor size.
10-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Consider if you need a viewfinder. If so, go for the fuji and donīt look back. That said, I donīt think youīll like the MX-1 if you are going to shoot RAW.. I donīt have one but from the reviews and others users comments itīs no fun. Also, it wonīt fit in your pocket. If you have 2 K mount DSLRs why not buy DA21 or DA40 (or both) and use that kit? I take my K-5 nearly everywhere since I bought the DA40XS.
For when I need something to carry in my pocket y got the Canon S100. Great images, really small and fast to shoot RAW. The slow lens (when zooming) is kind of a pain but I rather have the small size.
10-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
The lens on the MX-1 is really excellent and I would hate to give up the speed. I also think the IQ is very impressive for the sensor size.
It is indeed impressive, particularly against the X20.

I'm not a pixel peeper, yet I am taking this into account because one would think the bigger sensor would win, but clearly doesn't. That, in my opinion, means Fuji isn't doing this as well as Pentax, and if this is the case with "just" the sensor, other areas could be the same, and the Fuji cameras are just for show and looks. They do look superb.

10-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Consider if you need a viewfinder. If so, go for the fuji and donīt look back. That said, I donīt think youīll like the MX-1 if you are going to shoot RAW.. I donīt have one but from the reviews and others users comments itīs no fun. Also, it wonīt fit in your pocket. If you have 2 K mount DSLRs why not buy DA21 or DA40 (or both) and use that kit? I take my K-5 nearly everywhere since I bought the DA40XS.
For when I need something to carry in my pocket y got the Canon S100. Great images, really small and fast to shoot RAW. The slow lens (when zooming) is kind of a pain but I rather have the small size.
I don't need a viewfinder, but I favour having one. In part that's why it's hard for me to decide; it's an important factor but not enough to be the deciding one.

The RAW thing really worries me, though and that gives major points to the Fuji. And I have a K-01 with the 40mm XS. It is small, but not enough for me to take everywhere. Plus it's not very discrete being white. No, I do want a compact, and I want the convenience of a zoom lens. I'm a prime guy, but if I'm going to "replace" my SLR, the zoom lens will give me more flexibility in my shots.

Now the Canon S100 I haven't looked at that. Let me read some reviews and I'll get back to you on that. Any other suggestions?
10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

For over a year now the RX100 has had the best IQ for a pocketable camera.
10-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got my partner the MX1 after researching all the contenders. Didn't consider the Fuji as it did not have a moveable back screen which was a necessity. She loves the MX1 and all the items I thought could be an issue were not. So far we are really pleased with the images. It does not have a hotshoe which would be an issue if it were my camera. The lack of a handgrip has not been an issue.

If i am correct the fuji has a manual zoom which I find a really nice feature, but I can't comment on the image quality as I have not used one. I find the fuji sits nicer in the hand.
10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
For over a year now the RX100 has had the best IQ for a pocketable camera.
And is quite expensive, too =\

10-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The raw speed is too slow but it is not impossible. I wrote to Pentax to speed up the raw processing in a firmware update but I guess many more need to do the same.
10-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
And is quite expensive, too =\
There's a good reason for it though. Its often hard for me to pick even on a 27" iMac whether a photo is from my K-5 or my RX100. After my previous disappointing experience with the Canon S90, the RX100 has been a revelation.
10-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I got my partner the MX1 after researching all the contenders. Didn't consider the Fuji as it did not have a moveable back screen which was a necessity. She loves the MX1 and all the items I thought could be an issue were not. So far we are really pleased with the images. It does not have a hotshoe which would be an issue if it were my camera. The lack of a handgrip has not been an issue.

If i am correct the fuji has a manual zoom which I find a really nice feature, but I can't comment on the image quality as I have not used one. I find the fuji sits nicer in the hand.
I can live without a hotshoe, but I can't live without RAW. Has she used the Fuji and still prefers the Pentax? Because yes, you are correct and the X20 does have manual zoom, I also really dig that!

I've only held the X10, which is identical [physically] to the X20 and found it nice as well, but I've never had the MX-1 in my hands so I can't compare =\
10-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
The raw speed is too slow but it is not impossible. I wrote to Pentax to speed up the raw processing in a firmware update but I guess many more need to do the same.
I'm looking for a video where they show in real time how long it takes, and guesstimate if I'd be okay with that. And I guess I could hope for a firmware update that addresses that issue. I'd write to Pentax about it too!
10-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
klh
Site Supporter

In my opinion, while a viewfinder would have been a plus, the lack of a viewfinder is not worth the $100 difference. I do like the Fuji X20 manual zoom lens. But at the end of the day, it is the image quality that counts, and the MX-1 image quality is excellent for a pocket camera. And yes, it fits into a jacket pocket or a small belt case easily. I wouldn't want it in my pants pocket anyway since my mobile phone is there.

If Ricoh delivers a firmware update to fix at least the RAW write times, I would wholeheartedly recommend the MX-1. Until then, just be warned that the "Data being recorded" message will be very annoying and is embarrassing for a camera of this caliber. It is beginning to look like it was hurried to the market then abandoned.
10-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There's a good reason for it though. Its often hard for me to pick even on a 27" iMac whether a photo is from my K-5 or my RX100. After my previous disappointing experience with the Canon S90, the RX100 has been a revelation.
You got me thinking so I just saw a couple of reviews and checked prices. Still going for the MX-1 or Fuji X20. It's just a lot of money for me, for a compact.
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
In my opinion, while a viewfinder would have been a plus, the lack of a viewfinder is not worth the $100 difference. I do like the Fuji X20 manual zoom lens. But at the end of the day, it is the image quality that counts, and the MX-1 image quality is excellent for a pocket camera. And yes, it fits into a jacket pocket or a small belt case easily. I wouldn't want it in my pants pocket anyway since my mobile phone is there.

If Ricoh delivers a firmware update to fix at least the RAW write times, I would wholeheartedly recommend the MX-1. Until then, just be warned that the "Data being recorded" message will be very annoying and is embarrassing for a camera of this caliber. It is beginning to look like it was hurried to the market then abandoned.
Exactly. I just watched Blunty's review and comparison versus the RX100 and again I'm more inclined to the Pentax. The Fuji is gently whispering in my ear "RAAAAW fiiiilesssssssss..."