Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

optio s6 operation troubles

Hi everyone.
hows it going?

I have an Optio s6 that was given to me as a gift. It is a very nice camera, and I've had it now for about 8 months. Recently, the camera seems to be freezing up when taking pictures. I push the shutter release half-way to focus, and sometimes, the whole camera just freezes. I have to take out the battery, re-insert and push the power button to get it to work again. I tried emailing Pentax about the issue, but havent heard anything from them for a month. Would anyone here know a possible cause and solution?

I've tried using three different batteries and two different SD cards (512MB Lexar card and a 2GB Sandisk card) and no SD card at all, but this odd, random freezing thing happens using any combination of the above batteries and memory cards.

Sorry for the long description, and thanks for any help you can provide.

01-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi not2sure,

Sorry for delay in responding. This is not a long description at all. As long as we understand you, that's what matters.

Unfortunately, I'm stumped and I think others are as well. Could explain the lack of responses. (Psst. Greenbeen may be able to help out - he's a Pentax Tech. lol) I think this could be a warranty issue, but we need to do some brainstorming.

Trying to rule out static as a cause for the malfunction because this might not be covered under warranty. In terms of humidity, is your environment very dry? What type of clothing were you wearing? (that arctic fleece stuff - very static prone if you wear it with cotton)

Now working with the internals there is a bunch of stuff here. Hope not to overwhelm you. Print this out and use it as a checklist.

Does the problem happen in a certain focal range (zoomed in full tele, or full wide, or somewhere in between?)

Batteries - you mentioned trying different types - how old are they?

Working with the shutter button itself - do you push it very lightly and it happens, or sort of jab at it half way. Do you rub your finger on it? Yes, some people don't notice this.

What else can I think of? Oh. Is the flash on? Is it charging while you press it half way? Is the flash in Auto and it happens? Try turning the flash off and do it.

Lighting - Does the problem happen under dim lighting conditions where the AF light normally turns on? I'm flipping through the manual I found on-line. Try disabling the Aux AF Light in your menu settings. If the problem doesn't happen the problem is there.

If you get the problem happening consistently using one of the items described above, you can bring it back to the store where it was purchased, describe the problem and the situation in which it happens and you may get a quicker resolution.

Hope this all helps and good luck!
01-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey Alvin,
Thanks for your response!

I removed the battery and SD card for about two days, and have stuck them back in now. I read somewhere that this may help resolve the problem.

I will update you on my findings and on the scenarios you listed.

Thanks again.
02-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hello again.
- I live in Calgary, AB. I dont think there is a static issue.
- Different zoom ranges do not seem to be a factor.
- All three batteries are brand new. I've had the camera for about 9 months now. One battery is 9 months, the second about 7 months and the third about 2 months.
- I push the shutter lightly half-way to get it to focus and then push with about the same pressure the rest of the way to take the picture. If I push the shutter relase too quickly, nothing happens.
- charging the flash is not an issue for freezing the camera. The freezing thing happens with or without the flash on.
- the aux AF light is usually on when the camera freezes, but sometimes, even with the AF disabled, the camera freezes.

I think I may have to go through the warranty for a bad camera.

Thanks again for your help Alvin.