Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax MX-1 lcd problem??

I just received my new Pentax MX-1 from Woot, and overall I like it quite a bit. However, I notice a fog, smudging or maybe what appears like someone took a cloth and rubbed the inside of the glass. It can't be cleaned off by me as it's underneath. It covers nearly 75% of the lcd area. It's especially noticeable when a bright light is shined directly on the screen. It's not noticeable when the screen is turned on. Has anyone else seen this or is it just on my example?

Larry

10-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you possibly post a pic? I don't think that should be there- perhaps there's a gap somewhere and some condensation got in?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hmm, I do seem to see some unevenness in mine which can't be cleaned off. I can't tell if it is really behind the screen, or it is in the way that the anti-glare coating was applied. In any case, I can only see the mottled effect when the camera is turned off, reflecting the light at the right angle. I don't see it at all when the camera is turned on, or playing back images, so I'm going to try and let it not bother me too much.
10-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Two pictures to show the problem. These are enhanced to show the problem much worse than it actually is, but now you can see the smudging behind the screen. When the camera is on, this can't be seen. Even when the camera is off, it's not as noticeable as this without shining a bright light directly on the screen. This smudging is underneath and cannot be wiped away.

Larry

12-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I notice this also, it's def under the glass, some kind of splotches or residue.

A google image search possibly also shows it in this pic:
(huge size here: http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/pentax-mx-1-review-21412/images/highres-p...1357564414.jpg)

I wonder how many of these are affected?

Last edited by digital029art; 12-08-2013 at 07:51 PM.
12-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think I can see something similar very faintly in the right light at the right angle on mine (I had to clean off the finger & palm grease thoroughly to make certain..)
01-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

I just got my MX-1 from Amazon last night. Love the camera, but I too noticed this strange smudging/haze behind the screen. Mine looks just like the pics posted by larryinlc. I wish there was a store nearby that sold this camera so that I could compare to a display model. Just like you guys, it's not noticable when the screen is on; it just looks pretty ugly when the camera is off. Have any of you decided to ask Pentax about this, or have you all decided not to worry about it? I'm thinking of just trying to ignore it since it seems like it's just a side effect of the anti-glare film that they've applied and is probably normal. If you look at the pics on the photography blog review, they also seem to show this "smudginess":

The review:
Pentax MX-1 Review - Product Images | PhotographyBLOG

The Photo Showing the smudgy/hazy looking screen:
http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_mx1/pentax_mx1_06.jpg
01-07-2014, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #8

possible solution

Ok guys, so when I got home today I took a closer look at my MX-1's LCD and the weird haziness didn't seem to be on the inside (I could also see it on the portions covered by the black bezel). I had tried a couple different microfiber cloths and some LCD screen cleaner that I had and nothing seemed to remove the smudges (they appeared permanent...just like they look in the pics posted by larryinlc).

As a last ditch effort, I pulled out the good old Windex and a paper towel and cleaned the screen with that...sure enough the smudges were GONE! So hopefully this will work for you guys too. Turns out (for me anyway), I just needed to use a little bit stronger cleaning product. I was nervous to use windex on my brand new camera's LCD, but it didn't seem to harm it at all.

Now off to enjoy my amazing new MX-1...this camera is seriously awesome. Can't decide what looks better, the pics the camera takes or the camera itself! See y'all around the forums!