Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sent FoTom a reminder message. Hope every thing is OK.
thanks
barondla

The Q is fun.

12-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
The suspense is killing us, FoTom
QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
Well said, Bart. I feel impatient, I just can't wait for the results
QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
.Knock-Knock.. Anybody home?
I'm terribly sorry about the delay, and I appreciate the support. Everything is good now and I'm back at the forum. =]
It was a quite difficult decision, but the here are the winners:

For the 3rd place, we have a draw!!
"The Living Daylights" by G.T, and pntx with "The Hand that Feeds"

I liked the simplicity of the shot, the mood, and the whole process of taking this photo, which involved the fact that it was taken under the rain, at night, and in movement, and the complete opposite between the title and the actual time the photo was shot.

"The Hand that Feeds" wins because of the improvised nature of the shot; I found the background a tad distracting, but still it's a very good image. The title, for some reason, I read it in my mind with an ominous tone, and together with the photo reminds me of the horror film The Birds, by Alfred Hitchcock. Killer photo.

For the 2nd place:
barondla with "Learning to Fly".

"Learning to Fly" was an instant hit for me, and I'm talking about the photo. It makes me imagine way up high, the camera -as an extension and analogy of the photographer, learning to fly, going to new heights, regarding photography or life itself. And it reminded me that if you fall, you can climb again and try one more time, or take the ATV and keep going by other means.

And finally, [drumroll.wav] the winner of the prize and the 1st place in this competition: Shawn67, with "The River of Dreams"!!!

First of all, the technical aspects; this photograph is well executed - the framing, exposure, movement without excessive or obtrusive blur, and the water-mirror was unique and makes you think and wonder and keep observing. And now, the good stuff. Feeling, thoughts provoked in me.. this photo has it. Now, one thing I had not mentioned, is that I observed each photo while listening to its song, and this photo, with that song.. well, do it and you'll know what I mean. It takes you back, and for me, the sky is full of stars -shooting stars, the quintessential wish-making, dream-fuelling celestial beings. Just listen to the song with headphones and a dim room, and put this photo in the largest monitor you can, to really appreciate this.

So this is how I judged this competition, I hope you are all satisfied and agree with me on the outcome.

It is worth noting that it was a very close call, and those 4 photos are my favourites, each with something different and fresh in its own right, it really was hard to judge. Perhaps next time I'll pick an easier [or narrower] subject haha. The rest of the photos were also very good entries, but didn't make the Top 3 because of the straightforwardness of photo+title, and thus not conveying a certain feeling or mood, even if correctly titled and perfectly shot; the purpose of this theme was that of conveying a feeling, mood or idea with a photo, and through a song title.

Thank you all for participating, it was really fun, I hope you got to listen to new music like I did, and had a great time like I did. So now, to the next challenge!!
12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Thanks FoTom for a great contest!

Congratulations to G.T, pntx, barondla and especially Shawn67 of course.
Looking forward to your contest.
12-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #49

congrats all particularly the winner Shawn67, FoTom thank you very much for your thoughtful comment on my pic

12-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #50

Can we include the GR in the next contest?
12-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Thanks FoTom for a great contest!

Congratulations to G.T, pntx, barondla and especially Shawn67 of course.
Looking forward to your contest.
My pleasure, and also looking forward to the next one!

QuoteOriginally posted by pntx Quote
congrats all particularly the winner Shawn67, FoTom thank you very much for your thoughtful comment on my pic
Sure thing pntx, and I really liked the song too, I had never heard it before. Cheers!
12-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #52

Thanks Tom! This was a very creative challenge and I think tying the photo to the song really added to thinking through the mood or impression that is trying to be expressed in the shot.

It was great to see all the entries, not sure I can come up with as creative a contest.

Shawn

P.S. Loved your comment about a big monitor... a gallery wrapped 27"x36" canvas of that shot was just delivered today. That MX-1 is a very capable little camera.

12-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you FoTom for a very creative contest. Congratulations to Shawn67, G.T., and pntx. Great images paired with strong songs. Well done. Thanks for awarding my image a ribbon. Even got to hear some new music.
Thanks
barondla
12-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
Thanks Tom! This was a very creative challenge and I think tying the photo to the song really added to thinking through the mood or impression that is trying to be expressed in the shot.

It was great to see all the entries, not sure I can come up with as creative a contest.

Shawn

P.S. Loved your comment about a big monitor... a gallery wrapped 27"x36" canvas of that shot was just delivered today. That MX-1 is a very capable little camera.
Many thanks, the idea came to me while half-asleep and I had music playing in the background. The next day I went for a walk to take the my shot, with headphones on, and when I was listening to No Way Back, I saw my shot right there! I'm sure your contest will have a cool theme too. Your photos say you're creative as well hehe.

Wow, that large??? Where do you print them? If it's an online service I might consider printing something for myself and as a gift =] I still wish I had an MX-1, but I'm very happy with its evil twin, the Oly XZ-2 haha. [same sensor, same lens]

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Thank you FoTom for a very creative contest. Congratulations to Shawn67, G.T., and pntx. Great images paired with strong songs. Well done. Thanks for awarding my image a ribbon. Even got to hear some new music.
Thanks
barondla
My pleasure, and I was actually a bit worried it might be confusing or disliked for being unusual. Thankfully, that didn't happen hehe.
12-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
Wow, that large??? Where do you print them? If it's an online service I might consider printing something for myself and as a gift =] I still wish I had an MX-1, but I'm very happy with its evil twin, the Oly XZ-2 haha. [same sensor, same lens]
I had it printed at:
Canvas Prints | Photo to Canvas | Canvas Pictures - Canvas On Demand

They have a 50% off sale going on at the moment. If you haven't printed one of your images that big before it is quite the treat opening the box and seeing it. The 27x36 was actually a 30.25"x39.25" image as I had this one in a thick gallery wrap with the image going around the wrap. I think it altered the framing slightly more than I would have liked but the picture wrap does look cool when mounted on the wall. Canvas is printed at 150 dpi so you can go bigger on canvas compared to a paper print.

Shawn
12-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
I had it printed at:
Canvas Prints | Photo to Canvas | Canvas Pictures - Canvas On Demand

They have a 50% off sale going on at the moment. If you haven't printed one of your images that big before it is quite the treat opening the box and seeing it. The 27x36 was actually a 30.25"x39.25" image as I had this one in a thick gallery wrap with the image going around the wrap. I think it altered the framing slightly more than I would have liked but the picture wrap does look cool when mounted on the wall. Canvas is printed at 150 dpi so you can go bigger on canvas compared to a paper print.

Shawn
Cool! Thanks for the link. I don't think I'll order any prints for now, seeing the prices hehe but it is in my to-do list. I bet your print looks awesome, you're going to put it like in your living room or something?