Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #1

Point and Shoot Competition #72: Photographing Song Names

Contest #72: Photographing Song Names

Let's get away from the regular themes for a moment. In this round, the photo's title will be the name of a song, and the photograph must depict it. A link to either the song itself [on youtube for example] or its lyrics would be nice also, mostly in case I don't know the song, or anyone else on the forum for that matter. This could be a cool way to get to know new music! Any language is fine, but if it's not English, a translation of at least the title is necessary. Allow me to demonstrate:

Foo Fighters - No Way Back

Taken with my Nokia 7610 Super Nova [3.2MP] everything in Auto mode, no useful information in EXIF data.

-----------

This competition will be judged based on creativity, conveyed feeling, and lastly technique. Those three factors help determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. If there are any questions, feel free to ask!

Update: The winner of this competition gets a fantastic prize!!
The fine print: It's just a small gift, but I think it's a nice gift.

Note: Song names, not band names

The rules:

1. Have fun!
2. Cameras:
  • No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
  • No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
  • No interchangeable lens cameras.
  • No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):
  • Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
  • Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder cameras.
  • Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
  • TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).
  • Any camera brand allowed.

3. Entries will close on 30 November, 2013 23:59 CST (USA).
4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.
6. Post-processing is fine.
7. The photos in this contest must be shot after this thread was started, meaning you have to get up, get out, and shoot! Photos shot before this date and time will not be valid. EXIF data is required for date verification purposes. If you're resizing and the EXIF data gets lost in the process, a screenshot of the data/image/filename could also work, but only as a last resort.
8. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.
9. Enter up to 3 images.
10. HAVE FUN!

Last edited by FoTom; 11-06-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Formatting
11-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is going to be fun!
11-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
G.T
Veteran Member

Great theme! Really!
Only the shooting time span makes things a bit harder. Party on.

Last edited by G.T; 11-04-2013 at 12:56 AM.
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
This is going to be fun!
Indeed! I hope many people come by =D

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
Great theme! Really!
Only the shooting time span makes things a bit harder. Party on.
Awesome, I'm glad you like the idea! Regarding the time span, you think it's too long or too short? I set a month because I think the previous one was also one month long, I could be wrong.. but if it's not the norm, I guess I could change it. That was the first time I participated and this is the first time I'm setting the rules for this competition so I don't really know how things roll around here.

I still think one month is enough for people to come by and participate, and also to get ideas and most importantly get out and shoot stuff!
Plus I did shoot "No Way Back" for this competition..

11-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
G.T
Veteran Member

That's the idea of the pic being taken within that month which seems a bit difficult to me. That won't prevent me (and possibly other competitors) to give a try, though.
11-05-2013, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #6

All shot 11/5/13 with a Pentax MX-1

Songs from the Woods - Jethro Tull

Shawn

P.S. Screenshot of EXIF attached...
Attached Images

Last edited by Shawn67; 11-05-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added EXIF
11-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
I just updated the main post, please take a look!!

That's the idea of the pic being taken within that month which seems a bit difficult to me. That won't prevent me (and possibly other competitors) to give a try, though.
I see.. Well, hopefully a lot of people can participate. Do try! I'm sure you can shoot something inspiring. If you want a tip, go out for a walk, grab your iPod or music player of choice, and your camera. Play some music, walk, get your camera ready. It'll come by itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
All shot 11/5/13 with a Pentax MX-1
River of Dreams - Billy Joel
Songs from the Woods - Jethro Tull

Shawn

P.S. Screenshot of EXIF attached...
Very nice entries! The stars you painted are quite inspiring =] Took me a little while.. And the colours of Songs from the Woods [Side A] give me this nostalgic feel.

11-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #8

"The stars you painted are quite inspiring =] Took me a little while.."

Thanks, but I didn't add them, the 'stars' are part of the capture. That shot was cataloged in LR, DNG 'developed' in Photo Ninja, cropped a little in LR, passed through Perfectly Clear (levels, contrast, sharpening) and then put through PT Lens for distortion correction. Nothing was added or removed from the photo.

Shawn
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
"
Thanks, but I didn't add them, the 'stars' are part of the capture. That shot was cataloged in LR, DNG 'developed' in Photo Ninja, cropped a little in LR, passed through Perfectly Clear (levels, contrast, sharpening) and then put through PT Lens for distortion correction. Nothing was added or removed from the photo.

Shawn
Hehe yes, I know you didn't add them in post, but you did paint them with a slow shutter
I'm aware it's dirt or something in the water, and that it's a reflection, and thanks to that it looks like star trails. Brilliant!

Last edited by FoTom; 11-06-2013 at 10:40 AM.
11-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #10

Yup, algea flowing past. All the little green dots in the other two shots. The almost bird swooping thing was a leaf floating by. I was trying to get it to look as if the trees were flowing down toward the viewer in the bottom right. Wish that branch wasn't there but it was stuck in the waterfall and I couldn't get to it to remove it.

All in all I am very happy with how that one turned out. MX-1 far exceeded my expectations.

Shawn
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yup, algea flowing past. All the little green dots in the other two shots. The almost bird swooping thing was a leaf floating by. I was trying to get it to look as if the trees were flowing down toward the viewer in the bottom right. Wish that branch wasn't there but it was stuck in the waterfall and I couldn't get to it to remove it.

All in all I am very happy with how that one turned out. MX-1 far exceeded my expectations.

Shawn
Ah, algae. Very nice shots, really. And yes, the MX-1 is one hell of a camera. I recently was going to buy one and opted for its sibling, the Olympus XZ-2 [same lens, same sensor, but better physical dials]. I wish I was rich and could have both, I'm still infatuated by the MX-1 hehe.

Anyway, did you reread the main post? Now there's a prize for the winner! Still deciding if "prize" or "prices".. but for now, 1 prize.
11-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
G.T
Veteran Member

Good morning ladies and gentlemen!

How many times have I written "I think I have something" in the past? Perhaps once per contest. I will do it again.

I think I have something. All fresh...

Not many bus stops look like that one in France. Most are just steel & glass boxes, most ancient are just made of concrete. This one is just a little chalet, and hereby is in tune with its surroundings.

EXIF :

I forgot to adjust the camera's clock to reflect the wintertime, hence the difference between the capture and saving time.

That leads us to the Hollies' "Bus Stop":

Last edited by G.T; 11-09-2013 at 03:48 AM.
11-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great entries, Shawn and G.T!
Cool songs as well!
11-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Night Owl

By coincidence, I had the opportunity to take this image.

Panasonic FX500
Exif is in place.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a "Baker street" handy.
11-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
Good morning ladies and gentlemen!

How many times have I written "I think I have something" in the past? Perhaps once per contest. I will do it again.
I think I have something. All fresh...

Not many bus stops look like that one in France. Most are just steel & glass boxes, most ancient are just made of concrete. This one is just a little chalet, and hereby is in tune with its surroundings.

I forgot to adjust the camera's clock to reflect the wintertime, hence the difference between the capture and saving time.

That leads us to the Hollies' "Bus Stop"
Hey, nice photo! I like the colours and mood in the picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
By coincidence, I had the opportunity to take this image.

Panasonic FX500
Exif is in place.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a "Baker street" handy.
Striking portrait of a statue, the deep shadows are great.