Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the WG-3 shoot in RAW?

I'm looking to get a smaller, compact P&S camera to take with me on biking tours and long rides. As a Pentax guy my first thought was the WG-3, because it can withstand being caught in the rain, and falling from a bike, but can probably still fit in the back pocket of my jersey or my saddlebag.
But, being the nitpicky photographer that I am, I still want it to shoot in RAW. From what I've read it seems it only shoots in JPEG? Is this true? If it is that kinda sucks.
If this rules out the WG-3, do you have any other suggestions for a pocketable compact with specs similar to the WG-3 that does shoot RAW?

Thanks!

11-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
I'm looking to get a smaller, compact P&S camera to take with me on biking tours and long rides. As a Pentax guy my first thought was the WG-3, because it can withstand being caught in the rain, and falling from a bike, but can probably still fit in the back pocket of my jersey or my saddlebag.
But, being the nitpicky photographer that I am, I still want it to shoot in RAW. From what I've read it seems it only shoots in JPEG? Is this true? If it is that kinda sucks.
If this rules out the WG-3, do you have any other suggestions for a pocketable compact with specs similar to the WG-3 that does shoot RAW?

Thanks!
The WG-3 only shoots JPEGs. Nikon 1 AW1 perhaps? It's a bit bigger though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #3

Get a Canon, hack it with CHDK. You're welcome.
11-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Google is releasing an updated version of Android which will allow for RAW format from any android phone.. also burst mode.. Google Confirms RAW Photo Support and Burst Mode Coming to Android | Droid Life

With this in mind, I suspect it is only a matter of time before most point and shoots have RAW format ability (to compete/stay relevant). Which will likely also squeeze the smaller bridge market.. which will both likely squeeze the lower end of the APS-C DSLR market... which will somewhat squeeze camera makers with 'lower end' APS-C DSLR products to market more differences to the mid to upper end APS-C DSLR products... trickle up!

I too would like to see RAW format on the WG-3 .. if it had it, I'd have bought one for a rugged, pocketable camera when I don't feel like lugging around my DSLR or am not primarily tasked with photography..

11-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #5

Wow, the Android RAW thing is awesome, I cannot wait for it!! However, I don't think they'll add RAW support for every camera [or the Nokia and all Android phones and P&S], because even if they have RAW support, most people will never want to bother with such large files, or know what is the difference between a JPEG and a RAW file, let alone having a RAW developing workflow and dedicate a vast amount of time for that. RAW is merely for the few who both know how to work with them, and most importantly, want to work with them. Hell, even a big percentage of people with dSLRs use JPEGs all the time..