Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
which camera with tilt screen

I have used Pentax bodies to the exclusion of every thing else since the 80's and now find that I might have to look else where.

I am finding it harder and harder to squat down which is something I have to do to get the camera down to about 2 foot off the floor which I need to do for my work.

I currently use 2 K5 bodies and was rather hoping that the k5 replacement would have tilt screen as do some of the other brands top or nearly top end units that are on offer.on offer

I think there is or was a Pentax bridge camera with tilt screen but the image quality was poor and lousey iso at anything above 400

my other half has a old canon gG11 which is ideal and image quality is brilliant but I really want the slr functionality of controls menus, buttons , with two dials and so on but with out having to swop lenses

give the above what choices do i have that would hopefully avoid having to buy extra lenses in any brand?

11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but have you considered a reflex waist level finder? This Varavon Uni is a little bulky, but it's pretty versatile. It can function as an LCD shade, a loupe for video, or a waist level finder. Maybe not as elegant as an articulated screen, but it looks like it can be installed on just about any camera with an LCD.
11-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I've seen aftermarket mirrors you can attach to the camera - with a top LCD giving you info and the mirror allowing you to check focus it may work well.

I also have a right-angle finder which you attach to the optical viewfinder which is nice.

I wouldn't count on Pentax providing a tilt screen on anything above a K-500 type camera. The rugged flagship cameras almost certainly won't. I can say I think one drop my K-5 suffered would have sheared a tilt-screen right off.

My Dad has a Sony Alpha he bought because of the tilt-screen. It's nice.

PS. That Varavon is a nice piece of engineering...

Last edited by TER-OR; 11-14-2013 at 09:47 AM.
11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am with you on this. I also can no longer kneel or squat, and I like to take most of my pics from a lower perspective.

The only camera I tried was the Fujifil X-S1 which had a tilt screen. The IQ was OK, but am spoiled by my Pentax APS-C sensor. A few years ago I also tried a Panasonic GH2 which had an articulating screen which I just loved, but again the IQ wasn't what I wanted.

From some of the comments I've read, some people feel that articulating screens don't belong on higher end cameras - that I don't understand.

I need a screen like this so badly that I came close to buying a 7" field monitor for my K-5IIs, but that would add so much bulk. Then the K-3 promised wireless teathering which would work for me, but that hasn't materialized yet either.

11-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well one obvious alternative to the G11 is the MX-1, it doesn't have twin control dials but otherwise has full manual control. I'm liking the image quality, better than the (original) Q, and certainly better than the X90 bridge camera.

No viewfinder but the G11 doesn't really have an effective viewfinder, either.

No hotshoe either, if that is important. I use my Q or K-5 when it matters to me.
11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Once I get my FLUcard, my iPad will be my off camera screen viewfinder… I'll just bypass tilt screen altogether.
11-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm still waiting to see the Flu card materialize - looks like it is at least 3 months away yet.

I'll have to do some research on it as I don't have any Apple products.

11-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks every one,

Maxfield, the Varavon look interesting but to change a battery looks like you have to remove the whole thing which might be a problem since it looks like you are in LV as the original finder can't be seen and lv eats battery power,

Ter-or the 90 degree finder might work if i bend over i guess i have a feeling my back might object to that as much as my knees to squatting!

Stormtech i also looked at monitors on the hdmi cable but it not practical in the field.

and Tanzer thank you i had forgotten the MX-1 as you say the x 90 was awful IQ

perhaps I should also look for a cheap used unit with a tilt screen from one of the other mfg which would also have a view finder as well.?

Flu card is not a option as I have no intention of buying a K3
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm still waiting to see the Flu card materialize - looks like it is at least 3 months away yet.

I'll have to do some research on it as I don't have any Apple products.
Not to recommend this to anyone as of course it's completely illegal, but when I got my first tablet, I found a torrent for 100 great photography books, and downloaded 100 books in PDFform, which I've slowly been working through… I take them with me where ever I go, and read when I have a chance… it would be impossible to take 100 real books with me, it's like walking around with a Library.
11-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

@adwb - I really have no intention of updating to the K-3 either as I just love what my K-5IIs does for me. As I said above, I have tried a couple small sensor cameras for the main reason of having the tilting or articulated screen, but always felt wanting for the IQ of my then K-5 and now K-5IIs. So now I am trying to find a solution that will work for me in APS-C format at least.

Here is a typical setup of mine. In years past I would just get down on the ground and shoot using live view. Now my situation has changed, so this is how I need to shoot:

Sorry if I am taking your thread off topic here........
11-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
not off topic and a solution for some. my problem is that I am doing commercial photography on a tight budget and have to work fast to make money, tripods and setting up is just not a option, as I said squatting did and still painfully works and i tried the G11 and it was OK and thats what gave me the idea. for a tilt screen..
11-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I believe there are a couple threads mentioning using a 7"+/- LCD that works off the HDMI port.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-monitor-interface-dedicated-high-definition/d...d_sim_sbs_pc_1

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
11-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

@adwb - I took a look at your website - I see your need to getting down low quickly is a lot different than mine.

By the way - great website and I really like your wedding work.
11-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
@adwb - I took a look at your website - I see your need to getting down low quickly is a lot different than mine.

By the way - great website and I really like your wedding work.
thank you for the kind complement, the real knee breaker are these Hyundai used cars | Simonstone Bristol | Hyundai to get the angle right as dictated by the car mfg for images you have to be about 2 ft of the deck with the lens. click on any car to see the set of images.

more non knee hurting work here Al Barclay, a Bristol, City of Bristol BS1, UK based Photographer. / Portfolio hosting and networking for models, photographers and related creatives / PurplePort

or here Alistair at Country Studio's photosets on Flickr

i contacted veravon one of the products will fit a K5 but its pricy and if fitted then the camera is in LV all the time, I have not tried LV for any length of time but I have the impression it sucks batteries flat very quickly, but I might be wrong, I know the battery indicator is a bit inaccurate when in LV to say the least.