Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ricoh gr in-camera effects to Lightroom

Hi all,

I find the gr in-camera effects are good..but it only bake into jpg.

When I import the raw files to computer, I saw the preview thumbnails in Lightroom and bridge are with the effects. But when u click on thumbnails, it generate as raw files preview.

Does it mean the adobe software recognize the in-camera raw adjustments? Is there a way to import it to Lightroom or the pentax software silk pix?

11-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
Hi all,

I find the gr in-camera effects are good..but it only bake into jpg.

When I import the raw files to computer, I saw the preview thumbnails in Lightroom and bridge are with the effects. But when u click on thumbnails, it generate as raw files preview.

Does it mean the adobe software recognize the in-camera raw adjustments? Is there a way to import it to Lightroom or the pentax software silk pix?
Another user who finds the cons of using any other camera than CaNikon... No TRUE proper RAW support...

More of such people must stand up and screw Pentax-Ricoh into giving their JPEG processing recipe to Lightroom!
11-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax embeds a small JPG of the image into the RAW file. I believe the JPG is created using the camera settings set for JPEG processing at the time the image was captured eg effects settings, CA correctionon/off, etc. That embedded JPEG is what you see on a preview initially. It is not a view based on an on-the fly conversion based on parameters recorded within the RAW file. As LR completes the RAW file import, it creates its own preview from the RAW data and any import presets specified and then displays that (and no longer the embedded JPEG).

To clarify your request, and some of the initial responses in this thread, when you talk about the in-camera effects, are you simply referring to things like white balance, picture mode (bright, neutral, etc) or the more 'artistic' effects like cross processing. It's not reasonable to think that the 'artistic' effects should be/could be given to Adobe and other vendors of raw processors. I agree it would be nice if the picture mode processing like Bright, Neutral. etc were available.

If the Ricoh is anything like Pentax, the one way you should be able to shoot RAW and get the benefits of the in-camera effects is to use the camera manufacturer's supplied computer application (Digital Camera Untility (DCU) in the case of Pentax). That should have the proprietary effects programmed within it and enable those to be applied to the RAW file. As an aside, I'm quite amazed at how successfully DCU can rescue JPEGs from completely butchered white balance settings (eg recovering from having accidently set the camera to custom white balance without realising) just by selecting the required setting like "Daylight" with one click. While white balance is supposedly baked into JPEGs, DCU did an amazing job returning me to the correct daylight rendering for images what were just ghastly out of the camera.
11-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Pentax embeds a small JPG of the image into the RAW file. I believe the JPG is created using the camera settings set for JPEG processing at the time the image was captured eg effects settings, CA correctionon/off, etc. That embedded JPEG is what you see on a preview initially. It is not a view based on an on-the fly conversion based on parameters recorded within the RAW file. As LR completes the RAW file import, it creates its own preview from the RAW data and any import presets specified and then displays that (and no longer the embedded JPEG).

To clarify your request, and some of the initial responses in this thread, when you talk about the in-camera effects, are you simply referring to things like white balance, picture mode (bright, neutral, etc) or the more 'artistic' effects like cross processing. It's not reasonable to think that the 'artistic' effects should be/could be given to Adobe and other vendors of raw processors. I agree it would be nice if the picture mode processing like Bright, Neutral. etc were available.

If the Ricoh is anything like Pentax, the one way you should be able to shoot RAW and get the benefits of the in-camera effects is to use the camera manufacturer's supplied computer application (Digital Camera Untility (DCU) in the case of Pentax). That should have the proprietary effects programmed within it and enable those to be applied to the RAW file. As an aside, I'm quite amazed at how successfully DCU can rescue JPEGs from completely butchered white balance settings (eg recovering from having accidently set the camera to custom white balance without realising) just by selecting the required setting like "Daylight" with one click. While white balance is supposedly baked into JPEGs, DCU did an amazing job returning me to the correct daylight rendering for images what were just ghastly out of the camera.
Yea.... Not griping big time about it but i do hope that Pentax will share their in-camera JPEG processing to Adobe as how CaNikon does it.

In the sense, they don't need their own proprietary software(do they have?) cause Adobe does it for them the anyway.

In short, you shoot an image under "Bright" and you just need to pull the shadows, leaving everything as it is, with CaNikon, that's what you do; just adjust shadows.

With non-CaNikon, you will need to adjust whatever that is needed to bring it back similar as to the JPEG rendered and then you pull the shadows..

Also, if you "accidentally" shoot in a wrong in-camera picture mode for CaNikon, they have the same in-camera picture mode in Lightroom for example. So you just adjust whichever picture mode you had intended to do..

11-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Yea.... Not griping big time about it but i do hope that Pentax will share their in-camera JPEG processing to Adobe as how CaNikon does it.
Are you sure Nikon and Canon just hand over the algorithms? That doesn't seem like something they would do. I think it is more likely that Adobe just tried their best to copy them.
11-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Not griping big time about it but i do hope that Pentax will share their in-camera JPEG processing to Adobe as how CaNikon does it.
I've been using LR since the beginning. I recall reading somewhere from an authoritative source that Adobe recreates to their best ability the jpeg modes by Canon and Nikon. I believe that Pentax is the most cooperative with Adobe out of the three brands under discussion; it's just that the number of Pentax users are so minute that the business case for replicating their modes seems unworthy.

M
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Are you sure Nikon and Canon just hand over the algorithms? That doesn't seem like something they would do. I think it is more likely that Adobe just tried their best to copy them.
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I've been using LR since the beginning. I recall reading somewhere from an authoritative source that Adobe recreates to their best ability the jpeg modes by Canon and Nikon. I believe that Pentax is the most cooperative with Adobe out of the three brands under discussion; it's just that the number of Pentax users are so minute that the business case for replicating their modes seems unworthy.

M
Hmmm.... I guess i'm barking up the wrong tree... LoL! My apologies!

Looks like more of us would need to "bark" at Adobe then.. Haha!