Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I just got this camera this week and I don't see any issue with speed shooting RAW+, keeps firing away. It does make you wait to access menus or change settings, but I have yet to kill the buffer when shooting in single shot drive.

I was hoping to see that Pentax was going to be doing firmware updates for minor improvements and that's why I stumbled into this thread.

02-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Not allowing the camera to do anything with the lens cap on is the first thing I would change. ..
02-23-2014, 01:33 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Not allowing the camera to do anything with the lens cap on is the first thing I would change. ..
Well you can preview and delete images, also you can make menu changes with the lens cap still on.
Just press and hold the Preview button on the camera to start it up without the lens extending.
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Well you can preview and delete images, also you can make menu changes with the lens cap still on.
Just press and hold the Preview button on the camera to start it up without the lens extending.
Thanks for that tip
I guess I should read the manual before I complain...then again what would the internet be with complaints

03-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware Release for the MX-1

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote

In the "old" K-5 method, if you hold down the menu button when you power it up, it tells you the firmware release. But that doesn't work on the MX-1 either. So I don't believe it would give you an option to import a bin file in the SD card's root directory, either.

So I don't believe the MX-1 can be field upgraded.
I have tried the "old" K-5 method of checking the firmware release number, i.e. hold the menu button while powering up, and my MX-1 certainly displays, "VER 1.00". This suggests to me that Pentax thought there might be the possibility of other firmware versions
03-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Too bad they didn't think it worthwhile to do one. Faster RAW writes would be a huge improvement

QuoteOriginally posted by rrodgers Quote
I have tried the "old" K-5 method of checking the firmware release number, i.e. hold the menu button while powering up, and my MX-1 certainly displays, "VER 1.00". This suggests to me that Pentax thought there might be the possibility of other firmware versions
03-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Olympus version of the MX-1 had a firmware update..
But this has all been hashed out before..
I don't find the RAW writes any slower than the Q.
03-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrodgers Quote
I stand corrected, not sure why I didn't see this earlier -- maybe because one has to hold them both down for a little bit longer than on the K-5. Since no one called me out on this earlier, maybe nobody else who tried this waited long enough either.

Thanks for coming back to the thread with the corrected information. I would edit my earlier incorrect post, but it looks like I can no longer edit that (maybe it is too old).

Last edited by Tanzer; 03-30-2015 at 08:38 AM.
03-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The Olympus version of the MX-1 had a firmware update..
But this has all been hashed out before..
I don't find the RAW writes any slower than the Q.
Probably a hardware limit. With a fast class 10 SD card a raw file writes in 2-3 seconds. Not too bad for 20 MB. And switch off raw+jpeg, the raw includes a perfect full jpeg already. IPads can read/import the raw and save as jpeg of about 3 MB.
03-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, but you're preaching to the choir here
10-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiderX Quote
Probably a hardware limit. With a fast class 10 SD card a raw file writes in 2-3 seconds. Not too bad for 20 MB. And switch off raw+jpeg, the raw includes a perfect full jpeg already. IPads can read/import the raw and save as jpeg of about 3 MB.
After more than 3 years of heavy use of my MX-1, I still think that the time to write RAW files is a little slow, even with the latest fastest cards. Probably due to a hardware limit as you say...
3 Days Ago   #42
Forum Member

My MX-1 shows Firmware Version V666-53, Holding Menu button down when powering up. Anyone else with this firmware version?
3 Days Ago   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I no longer have my MX-1, but Ricoh never released public FW updates for the MX-1.