Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

MX-1 - New Firmware update

Has this thing had any firmware updates yet or have RICOH abandoned it?
I see nothing on any of the Ricoh support pages regarding the MX-1 firmware. Seems odd, especially in view of the issues encountered with really slow RAW writes and the lack of ShutterSpeed/ISO control for video.

11-27-2013, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware updates for point and shoots are very rare. The MX-1 doesn't seem to be having any stability issues. The slow RAW processing time is likely a hardware limitation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
'Advanced digital compact with DSLR-like features in a compact body'.. I'd hardly pigeon-hole it as a point'n'shoot
Seem to be loads of Optio model (PnS) firmware updates.
11-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is an explicit menu option on the K-01, Q, etc. to view current firmware, or import a new firmware release. This is missing from the MX-1 menu.

In the "old" K-5 method, if you hold down the menu button when you power it up, it tells you the firmware release. But that doesn't work on the MX-1 either. So I don't believe it would give you an option to import a bin file in the SD card's root directory, either.

So I don't believe the MX-1 can be field upgraded.

11-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm sure there will be a way to do it if they actually release any updates... they will give instructions on how to.
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope I'm wrong. It seems odd these days to not have the ability to upgrade the firmware, especially given the pressure to release products quickly, and the resulting risks to product quality.
11-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't this camera almost the same as an Olympus model? If so, has the Oly had any updates and how was it imported into their camera? WARNING -not saying to use an Olympus update( if one exists) in a Pentax.
thanks
barondla

11-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Isn't this camera almost the same as an Olympus model?
What!?
11-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out Olympus XZ2. Same lens and sensor. They lose the brass but gain a hotshoe. Happens all the time in compact cameras. Almost all Nikon Coolpix are made by someone else. The largest compact camera manufacturers aren't even companies most people have ever heard of. Same as quality bicycles.
thanks
barondla
11-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeh I figured it was the XZ2. Not going there though, Olympus are too hipster for my tastes, what with all their effects. I don't have an MX-1 yet, but I'm tempted to grab a silver, and well, I like the simple Pentax menus.

And yep, the XZ2 has 3 firmware updates
Download Files: Software, Firmware, Drivers - OLYMPUS digital camera
11-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Isn't this camera almost the same as an Olympus model? ..
You mean Casio as well?
MX-1, XZ1 and 2, New Casio etc., are all variations on the same design made by OEM suppliers. In this case, Sanyo most likely.
So ask Sanyo about the future plans to improve OEM designs, and you'll see them upgraded in Ricoh's, Olympus' stables too.
11-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You mean Casio as well?
MX-1, XZ1 and 2, New Casio etc., are all variations on the same design made by OEM suppliers. In this case, Sanyo most likely.
So ask Sanyo about the future plans to improve OEM designs, and you'll see them upgraded in Ricoh's, Olympus' stables too.
Casio!? Which model was that?
11-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Casio Exilim EX-10: Digital Photography Review

Ugly..
11-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Oy-vey... I'm glad MX-1 exists lol (speaking of I just purchased one is in my way towards me... excited )
11-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Wasn't saying buy the Olympus. Just saying if their version had the ability to update firmware ours probably does too. Since Oly has 3 updates we will likely get some. Unless Olympus messed up the core camera in ways Pentax and Casio didn't. This is possible. My Oly cams have much more complicated menus than my Pentax. Oly used to make you update their post processing program, hook camera to computer, and funnel new camera firmware thru processing program. It was a mess. Don't know if they still do that or not.

If Sanyo makes them that means Panasonic is involved.

thanks
barondla