Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
MX-1 and AF assist light

Hi,

I've treated myself to a new shiny MX-1 for Christmas, I managed to persuade my wife to 'let' me take it out for a spin.

I was taking some street shots (stealth like) with the screen flipped out, what I didn't notice was the AF assist light flashing when you take a shot, even when its disabled in settings.

You can stop it flashing using the 'Candid capture' scene preset, but you then you don't have full manual control.

Anybody else come across this?

Great camera by the way, I was getting tired of lugging my D300 (with grip) everywhere, the raw files are really good.

12-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yep, same here - just a flicker as the shot is taken.
Might be a bug.
Camera could use a firmware update imho.. There's some things that need better control. First in my mind is more picture style control for movies. Even with contrast right off, the movies come out too black in the dark areas. I can fix this in post, but I shouldn't have to.
Also the sharpness for JPG is too aggressive in the default setting, again I set this to off for all picture styles, but there still a tad too much sharpness.
I can't imagine why they don't just use the same degrees they use on the Q. The MX-1 is an advanced PnS with DSLR-like controls (say the ads) yet it fall short in the menus.
12-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I might put some black tape over the light

Your right about the firmware update, its much needed. Would transform the camera.

I read everything on the internet (before purchasing) about its little quirks and was ready for it, but you know the tinniest of tweaks would make life a hell of alot easier.

I missed a really important shot because the RAW file was still writing, even if that process was sped up it would make a massive change for me.
12-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was also looking to get one one but I have to admit I getting more and more drawn to the Oly xz-2 , hot shoes no slow raw complaints , cracking sharp focused images ,

12-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The images on the MX-1 are pin sharp, I do agree on the other points.

Its personal taste I think, these cameras are so close in terms of spec, if you were to buy any model it would be hard to get disappointed.

For me, I wasn't too bothered about not having a hot shoe, I've got another camera for that. The MX will be the camera I take on holiday or when I'm out walking.....ideal (and it looks great as well )
03-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #6

Did this get sorted out?

Or do we have to put up with the AF light flashing as photo is takem?

Thanks
03-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There have been no firmware updates for this camera since release.
The flicker doesn't bother me at all.
03-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussieflicker Quote
Or do we have to put up with the AF light flashing as photo is takem?

Thanks
Not unless pentax has released a firmware update. Shooting with 'candid capture' scene stops it flashing, for now.

03-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #9

Thanks.
03-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

I just put tape on mine. Need to be extra stealth with the street photos..
05-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #11

you could place a spare finger over the lamp