Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax MX-1 - Just Got Mine Today

Just received a truly like new used black Pentax MX-1 from eBay. This thing is awesome! What the heck is wrong with everybody? If only I could put the sensor from my RX100 in this camera! But that's not too big a drawback. So the higher ISOs aren't as great as the Sony. But this MX-1 is so much more intuitive and fun to use! And way more handsome. Very happy with it. Snaggled it for just $185 including box and all parts and accessories! Pentax registration even accepted the serial number as being new. That's pretty great too. If this camera is used I certainly can't tell. Baffled as to why seller got rid of it.

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-31-2013 at 07:41 PM.
12-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It's a great camera, I even enjoy just holding mine!
12-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The MX-1 is an under appreciated camera for sure. IQ is outstanding with that great lens.

Dale
12-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
The MX-1 is an under appreciated camera for sure. IQ is outstanding with that great lens.

Dale
I just got mine today from amazon. I agree with you davids8560, it is such a beauty and fun to use. I'm looking forward to use this tomorrow on my day off.

12-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also have the RX100 and the XZ-1. Had and got rid of a G12, and maybe that was a mistake. Very interested in Nikon P7800 - articulated LCD, viewfinder, and relatively fast 28-200 reach.

I am not unhappy that the MX-1 is not really pocketable. In fact, the accentuated oblong shape makes it easier for me to push the right buttons and easily adjust exposure. Love that dedicated Ev knob!

Funny how virtually all the cameras in this class share the 1/7" sensor.

Whenever you can I would love to see your MX-1 pics! Maybe you got a mo' better MX-1 copy than me!
01-06-2014, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine should be here by the end of this week. Ordered it a few months ago when Adorama had it on sale, but it went back ordered right away with no estimate on restock, so I cancelled. I've been mulling it over since then and found it at B&H today for a good price.

It can't hang with a big sensor for IQ in some scenes, but in the right light it will do wonderfully. I have a nice 20 inch print made off of the not so stellar Optio E60 and I'm sure this is much better than that.

Looking forward to putting it to use. I've got a project in mind that will utilize it's fast lens nicely. The Lumix LX7 might have a slightly better lens speed wise. I know if I want to shoot jpg the Pentax has nicer color to my eyes, especially sky and greenery. I have an RX100 I will sell. I just can't get past the user interface. I'll take lesser IQ for superior shooting experience in some cases and this is one of them.
01-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Just received a truly like new used black Pentax MX-1 from eBay. This thing is awesome! What the heck is wrong with everybody? If only I could put the sensor from my RX100 in this camera! But that's not too big a drawback. So the higher ISOs aren't as great as the Sony. But this MX-1 is so much more intuitive and fun to use! And way more handsome. Very happy with it. Snaggled it for just $185 including box and all parts and accessories! Pentax registration even accepted the serial number as being new. That's pretty great too. If this camera is used I certainly can't tell. Baffled as to why seller got rid of it.
I have had mine for about a month and absolutely love it. I have the silver version. I take it with me just about everywhere I go. Image quality is amazing for the size of sensor it has and it just looks so cool. My favorite P&S ever. A hot shoe would be nice, along with the ability to add an EVF. Maybe Ricoh/Pentax have that in mind for the next version. Bought mine new for $249.00. A real bargain when compared to other cameras in this category.
01-29-2014, 02:27 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which version did you get.............all black or silver trimmed?

01-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
I ordered a black one from Woot for $169+taxes/shipping. It arrives on Saturday.