Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wish List for Pentax MX-2

With the price of an MX-1 about $229 U.S. as of the day of this post, it's clear the MX-1 is being closed out. There's no word on whether there will be an MX-2. I just sold my MX-1, despite loving it, because I simply have too much gear. But here's a wish list that could prompt me to buy an MX-2, if it ever happens:

1) Larger sensor. I'd prefer a one-inch sensor (there's no reason they couldn't get it into that hefty body) if Sony will sell them. If not, how about a micro four-thirds sensor (Sony or Panasonic) - or even a 2/3" sensor from Fuji? I'll bet Fuji wouldn't turn down the business.

2) Control dial around the lens - with clickable detents. This could be used for manual focus, aperture changes or shutter changes depending on which mode one is working in.

3) Faster/larger buffer for both continuous shooting/burst mode and RAW file transfer.

4) How about an electronic viewfinder? Again, they should be able to fit at least a small EVF into that body. If not, how about an optional external EVF for the hot shoe? If an EVF isn't in the cards, how about using the White Magic technology employed in the Ricoh GR for the rear LCD?

That would do it for me. How about you?

01-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My only wish is that the MX-1 doesn't share the same fate as the K-01 And if it doesn't, it needs to be equipped with a faster processor for RAW files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Those are all good wish list items.

I have been quite impressed with the image quality of the 1/7" sensor, over the 1/2.3" sensor in the Q and other contemporary models. If they put in a larger sensor, the zoom range and/or aperture will suffer unless they put an even bigger lens in. So for me it's a wash. Personally, I don't need such a wide-ranging zoom, so if I had to choose between two of the three, I would go for a slightly larger sensor and fast lens, and give up some zoom range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
... how about an optional external EVF for the hot shoe?
Well this brings up another point, that it would be nice to have a hot shoe to begin with. I would probably prefer a hot shoe over an EVF, if I had to choose between the two.

JMO, I generally agree with your points.

Last edited by Tanzer; 01-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.
01-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would add manual zoom on the lens (even more than manual aperture or manual focus), and a TAv mode (a Pentax differentiator).

01-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
...and a TAv mode (a Pentax differentiator).
Ah, yes. An excellent suggestion.
01-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, a zoom or focus ring on the lens (choose which via menu option)
Also a separate door for the SD card. It's a nuisance that a tripod quick release plate prevents removing the card without first unscrewing the plate, which destroys the whole point of a quick release plate.

I don't care about a hot shoe, the MX-1 can sync with off cam flashes which are arguably more useful. I never use the hotshoe on the Q either.

Also, the WB should be a button on the back like other Pentax cams, and bring back the on screen EV meter.
01-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't care about a hot shoe, the MX-1 can sync with off cam flashes which are arguably more useful. I never use the hotshoe on the Q either.
I originally was disappointed in the missing hotshoe because I thought I would use it with my radio triggers, but I've come to the conclusion that it's really not necessary. If I want to carry flashes, I'm going to bring my DSLR anyway.

01-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Like others have mentioned - a hot shoe will be greatly appreciated. And a pop up flash which could be tilted up for ceiling bounce. And a fast f/1.4 & wide 24mm - doesn't need to have over 100mm telephoto - a portrait focal length will be sufficient for me. Not sure about OVF or external EVF since the LCD is hi-rez enough and angles up and down - good for street photos. Aiming & composing thru viewfinder will attract more attention than shooting from waist level. And maybe a filter thread.

Rick
01-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Right, definitely would be nice to have a filter thread. Seems like that wouldn't cost anything. Could use that for a lens hood.
01-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Intervalometer might be nice too.
01-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #11

I'm all for manual zoom. Hot shoe too.
01-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Intervalometer might be nice too.

Yes to that !
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EVF and a control ring around the lens are huge points for me. the control ring needs to be able to be mapped to aperture control as well.
01-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Faster startup, larger buffer/faster flushing and a control ring will probably make me buy one.