Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great out of focus rendering with the Q, barondla!

01-31-2014, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

I'm late but I'm here

All 3 pictures were taken this morning on my way to work. Traffic was very light so I knew I had some 15-20 minutes to spare.

All pictures taken with Pentax Optio RZ18, in Automatic Mode - Landscape. Processed in Corel Aftershot Pro.

The reason I stopped where I did was this "window" at a store in downtown Roswell, GA, made of bricks and colored glass:

This window also made an interesting visual element... complete with my reflection on it

I hope turning a pic to black and white still falls under "global processing". The interesting thing about this pic is the reflections on the window, such as the store sign that is outside. It was cool that a person was inside cleaning just as I walked by.

I took about 20 pictures total. Most ended up being useless... even these didn't look that great straight out of the camera. The RZ18 with its tiny sensor and slow lens, needs a LOT of light usually to get results that are acceptable... but hey it was just 70 dollars brand new so I'm not complaining
01-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Great entries, Christian!
01-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #64
Veteran Member

So many great photos on this thread!

Here is my humble attempt

Split Window Coupe | iPhone 4 | Fisheye 180 Lens

02-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Wonderful image, bucfan.
Also really fits the "rust never sleeps" theme
02-01-2014, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Windows Winners

I feel very humble making these selections as there were fantastic entries this month. I think anyone could choose among these and be able to select winners for many reasons. Thank you Bart for commenting all month, it helped to keep this going strong. Great way to start the year, and I will keep entering going forward myself, this is a lot of fun, definitely!

First Place:

Mooey: The Eye image is just great. Technically it is amazing, and it does show that depth of a person looking out, and then you can also see some of what the eye sees. The detail of the iris is lovely and brings you in. This is a wonderful and surprising interpretation of the theme, and gorgeous photograph. Is this a young child? The openness of the eye is really wonderful and helps with the feeling of the eye itself as a window. (your first window is also lovely, there's a story with all that weathered history).

Second Place:

Shawn67: The image with slides. This is also a surprising and lovely interpretation of the theme. There is a window, and then the slides are windows into a moment, and event in the past. The colors and composition are great, and the thumb adds an immediacy, too. I really like this.

Third Place:

ChristianRock: Your second image, the color window with Poinsettias. This photograph has so many layers. I love the reflections and the depth, and it is good to see the photographer, too. I like the relation of the flowers inside and out and the layering of the patterns. The window itself is lovely, too. Great interpretation of the Theme. (I also love the third image! So much going on there it was a tough choice, and the window itself is not seen...)

Special Mentions:

These are other images that I especially liked and deserve to be highlighted:

Bart: I love your third image. The table with the simple setting and the massive looking bare white walls make for a sense of enclosure and stillness, and then those windows and the light take you beyond. Great tension between inside and outside. The quality of the light and image are great. The Art Nouveau window is also great. I like the face with the eyes closed and then the gauzy curtains against the curved stone. Lovely.

Immunogirl: That second image is wonderful. It is all windows, but the abstract quality is great. Great interpretation of the Theme! The photograph of the chair and window is also lovely. I like how the chair with the bright fabric is so immediate, but the weathered wood and broken window counter that, with age and wear. This is an image that also has a window telling a story: it makes me ask what's behind this juxtaposition.

chubasco: This second photograph is amazing, with the bottles floating and then those xray images in the window. The light is fantastic. There is a feeling of mystery in this that is great. I really like the Abandoned House photo with the broken window, too. The light makes this one, and you know there is a story hidden in all these elements.

RoxnDox: Great composition. I love this in color, and beige of the glove inside echos the grass color more distant. The silhouette of the rifle is great. This is a window that tells a story, and that is a great interpretation of the Theme.

todd: I love the third image with the jalousie window. The window itself is great and the quality of light. I love the plants growing through the window and then all the things on the wall. There seems to be a story that goes with this one, too, meaning that you look at the things and it makes you ask what is going on, who lives here, where is it, what's going on. The stained glass skylight image is also very dramatic and wonderful. Is the object to the left a lamp?

barondla: Great image with the bees. I love that you don't 'see' a window, but you know it is there, and feel it so strongly through the bees--Let me out!

jmschrei: I really like the second image, with the broken glass that lets you see in so clearly and then the reflections. The holly in the foreground pulls you to the outside while the paint cans, the drapery and cobwebs pull you in. Nice interpretation.

rpthomas: I love that second bright colored window on the weathered wall. Great composition, and the reflections give it life. The film image of the square window is also great. I love the composition and also the lovely quality of the film. Lovely windows, and well captured.

pntx: I love the second image with the reflections of the church. The layering of the grid and distorted reflections is great, and then that lowest square almost looks like a painting hung on the facade. There is lots of mystery and interest here.

dtmateojr: Great to have iphone images! The second one has so much going on with the reflections of landscape behind and of the building too to the right. Then the perspective brings you deep to see inside, too.

kyteflyer: Two nice photographs, I love the composition of the first one, the massive wall makes those windows special, but I don't think I'd like to be on the inside. This is another photo that you knows has a story, and that aspect is great for the Theme.

RyanW: Great image with the window washer. Nice reflections in the facades, this is abstract and immediate, and a great interpretation of the theme. I also like the window with the bottles, great composition and layering, and strong feeling of inside and out.

ivoire: I love the train, the windows give it a face. The windows and color in the first image are wonderful as well, and the rain on the windshield was a great interpretation. If they had acted like lenses themselves to see beyond, that could have been a solid winner!

G.T: Power windows is a really fun interpretation! --And it is good to see French images, too.

bucfan1234: Great photograph and fantastic car, and split window cars are good to have here--great window into the past.

Thanks to everyone for entering. I learned a lot through all the photographs that were submitted, and look forward to February and a new theme!

David (Jacquot)
02-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Christian, Shawn and of course especially to Mooey!

And thanks you, David for a wonderful theme that invited such great entries by the participants.
And for the detailed feedback!

Looking forward to see you all back in Mooey's contest.

02-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #68
G.T
Veteran Member

I'm surprised to be among the mentioned pics. I try to enter every point & shoot contest, Jacquot.
Sure Bart, sure... we'll be there on the next contest.
02-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Congrats Mooey, Christian and Shawn! Nice work!
02-02-2014, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Congrats everyone! There were a ton of really great creative pics in this contest.
02-02-2014, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners. A very good theme with lots of creative images. #75 is next! A landmark in the history of the contest.thanks
barondla
02-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #72
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Jacquot, and well done to everyone else

The eye belongs to my daughter who was very brave because the lens was nearly touching her eyelashes, I couldn't of done it.

I'm guessing its my turn to start the next round, do I just go a head with a theme?
02-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, forge ahead. I love that photograph, and I think only a child could have that open look, really well done. Your daughter did well. I look forward to a new challenge!
David
02-02-2014, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats winners and thanks David for hosting with a great theme choice and seeing the difficult task of judging through...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
a lamp?
yep.. the statue is holding the lit up ball... I made a half-assed attempt at stitch of it that didn't turn out.. (My daughter was growing impatient with all my picture taking so I had to cut it short...) 15 hand held shots with FA31 - just to give you another look at it...
02-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Congrats Mooey on a fine entry and win!