Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I've been thinking about getting one. Just a small camera when I don't want to haul an SLR. Something easier for my wife to use as she's clueless about the capabilities of our K-5. Been looking at other cameras though while researching.

01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I've been thinking about getting one. Just a small camera when I don't want to haul an SLR. Something easier for my wife to use as she's clueless about the capabilities of our K-5. Been looking at other cameras though while researching.
Exact reason I'm seriously entertaining getting one. Would replace my Panasonic FZ28 and her Sony pocket cam, but would be enough camera for me to leave the KX at home if/when it's not entirely necessary. Only thing that worries me is the widely reported sluggishness when shooting RAW/RAW+JPEG which is me preffered method.
01-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
Exact reason I'm seriously entertaining getting one. Would replace my Panasonic FZ28 and her Sony pocket cam, but would be enough camera for me to leave the KX at home if/when it's not entirely necessary. Only thing that worries me is the widely reported sluggishness when shooting RAW/RAW+JPEG which is me preffered method.
MX-1has an exceptional JPEG quality. Q7 as well.
01-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote

I guess it comes down to compromises... what are we willing to give up to get a small form factor? We want a fast lens and awesome IQ, gotta give somewhere.

If I can get 4-5 shots before it chokes on itself, I'd be alright with that. From what I've read, the complaints aren't the FPS, it's how long it takes to write all the data to the card and the camera is effectively locked out while the data is being processed/written.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
MX-1has an exceptional JPEG quality. Q7 as well.

I'm going to look for a side by side comparison of the two for size and overall specs. The idea of a P&S what to eliminate the need for changing lenses and to shrink the size of the gear. The Q does both other than the swapping lenses bit.

01-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, IF you don't fiddle with the controls in between the shots / right after the shoot, you will not notice the lag almost at all.
However, if you attempt to change a settings right after a shot, you will have to wait a second and a half or so. Personally I do not find it a big thing...
01-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Well, IF you don't fiddle with the controls in between the shots / right after the shoot, you will not notice the lag almost at all.
However, if you attempt to change a settings right after a shot, you will have to wait a second and a half or so. Personally I do not find it a big thing...

I'm guessing once the WB is set and any exposure comp dialed in, which doesn't involve the menu system, there wouldn't be that much to change. For the price these things are selling today, hard to complain. I bought my wife a 3MP P&S years ago for about the same price as the MX-1 sells for today and that things is crap compared to what I've seen from the MX-1. That thing has been relegated to my daughter's toy to play photographer.
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

RAW 100% of the time here. Lag? Meh, not an issue unless you are the super impatient type

I even prefer the video it produces to the K-01. Sure, you have less control but the camera does what it does very well. Just turn off contrast and sharpening and flatten the saturation some. I'm very please with it. The AGC is also a lot better than the K-01.

I just bought a Metz LED mecalight-320 to use with any of my cameras or free standing as a fill light for videos and even stills.
Works great, even in daylight where backlight blacks out the subject, the Metz does a fine job.

01-31-2014, 06:56 PM - 3 Likes   #23

This was a completely vain and unnecessary activity but...as many have noted, the lens camp that comes with the MX-1 is rather plain. I found an old metal Asahi cap that I had, and noticed that it fit perfectly on top of the existing MX1 cap, with just enough space to press the cap tabs. I had some thick two-sided tape, and voila.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

With the sale at Adorama going on, I ordered one.
02-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

With the sale at Adorama going on, I ordered one.
Me too I wanted a nice compact camera and was going to buy one last year. ...but I had a son and that put the brakes on my search.
But this price was just too good to pass on.
02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #26

I'm guessing once the WB is set and any exposure comp dialed in, which doesn't involve the menu system, there wouldn't be that much to change. For the price these things are selling today, hard to complain. I bought my wife a 3MP P&S years ago for about the same price as the MX-1 sells for today and that things is crap compared to what I've seen from the MX-1. That thing has been relegated to my daughter's toy to play photographer.
I was thinking the same thing about the P&S my mom replaced with a KX. Seeing this sale and reading about the MX-1 in the forums is really not doing my GAS any favors.

QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
This was a completely vain and unnecessary activity but...as many have noted, the lens camp that comes with the MX-1 is rather plain. I found an old metal Asahi cap that I had, and noticed that it fit perfectly on top of the existing MX1 cap, with just enough space to press the cap tabs. I had some thick two-sided tape, and voila.
Nice!
02-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I am really enjoying my MX-1 so far. Only had it for three days but in that time, have gotten the Eye-Fi SD card set up and done a few test shots around my house. One issue I am having is that the right strap lug digs into my middle finger; it's uncomfortable and I have to change the way I hold the camera. However, I'm hoping that once I order and receive a Flipbac stick-on front grip, this problem will go away a bit.
02-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
outdoor shot

Still seeing what MX-1 can do. Here's a quickie outdoor shot after lunch. 62mm Circular Polarizer attached, 6mm, f/2.8, 1/2000th sec., ISO 100, moderately cropped. PP with DxO Optics Pro 9 and PS Elements 9. Camera fits perfectly in my winter coat, easy to carry anywhere. Also found out that the cheapo chinese remote will work pointing at the back side of the camera. cool...

Last edited by goldenarrow; 07-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.
02-10-2014, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooey Quote
Love the MX-1, my D300 hasn't seen light in ages.

I would be tempted to sell my Nikon gear and get a K-3.
(Chants) One of us.. One of us

Never owned a Nikon
02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dual lens macro photo method

A reversed 32mm Brandon "birder" telescope eyepiece held up to zoomed out camera lens and then cropped heavily. I think it is 3/4 life size before cropping but correct me if wrong (24mm/32mm). "7" is the 70mm mark on a plastic ruler, hash marks above are mm marks. Horrible vignetting and distortion but the center is sharp and clear.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 08-26-2014 at 08:32 PM.