Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #46

Hi...

I am new user of MX-1, I want to ask about M (Manual Mode) in MX-1, if I chane the value of Aperture and or Shutter speed, how to make this changes affected that we can look at in the display? so I am sure the vale of Aperture or Shutter speed was correct.

Thank and have a nice day

07-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #47

To the best of my knowledge you can't. You get the little yellow triangle telling you if, and by how much, you are over / under exposed but you don't get a lice view type representation of the scene in front of you. I wish it did do this.
07-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by judderman62 Quote
To the best of my knowledge you can't. You get the little yellow triangle telling you if, and by how much, you are over / under exposed but you don't get a lice view type representation of the scene in front of you. I wish it did do this.
Yes judderman,
I am usually use fuji x-e2 and nex-6, those 2 cameras represent realtime if we change the parameter whether it Aperture, Speed, or ISO, so this don't happen on MX1, is it?
thank you
07-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

The x-e2 and nex-6 and both MILC cameras with view finders.
The MX-1 is not. Compacts with only a rear LCD tend to keep their set brightness so you can see what you're setting and aiming at.
Press the GREEN button for optimum settings in M then go from there

07-15-2014, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #50

Photos: Gallery
MX-1 samples

some of my shots with MX-1 (i wnet on a business trip and took my MX-1 instead of K-30 due to the size and weight.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
07-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #51

Nice photos from an airplane.
07-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #52

Thank you skyoftexas!

07-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Which mountain is that?
Cool shot btw
07-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I am rather "meh" about it. Bigger and heavier than I expected; build quality not quite what I expected. Menus are not quite what I expected. Shooting manual is difficult as the AV/AE-L button is too close to the dial (making it hard to adjust aperture) I don't like the "light meter" at all.

I took a few shots this morning before leaving for work (the camera does fit nicely in my work satchel, but doesn't seem like it would be easy for carrying around). OOC JPEGS are good (much better than Q), but you can see lots of noise at ISO 800 and purple fringing. I will take her for a walk tonight and see how she does.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 07-18-2014 at 09:02 AM.
07-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Aesthetically, I wonder why they decided to use the tilting LCD. It works quite nice, but an ELF would have been more in line with the design of this. Conversely, the tilting LCD would have been right at home on the k-01.
07-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #56
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Aesthetically, I wonder why they decided to use the tilting LCD. It works quite nice, but an ELF would have been more in line with the design of this. Conversely, the tilting LCD would have been right at home on the k-01.
Back LCD has a longer expiry date. EVF does not, and EVF deteriorates value of the camera very quickly.

Which means, a camera with a nice tilting LCD can be used for a much longer time than a camera with an okay EVF, as we humans are more finicky and demanding re EVF technology. That is also why any DSLR has a longer expiry date and is better investment than any mirrorless solution because OVF is not dependant on limitations of the EVF tech.

Actually, if you think more carefully, Pentax indeed thinks about longevity of their cameras. They would like people to use them for a longer time, and longer time in use deepens dependability and relationship. Accordingly, they invest in technologies that allow that positive longer use of a camera. However, the EVF is one of those technologies that clearly and inevitably renders camera obsolete the very next month.

Just look at Sony, Oly and Fuji users, they are already caught in shopping and constant upgrade frenzy, as they are dependant on the weakest part of the mirrorless system — the EVF.
07-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member

For me, the tilting LCD was a selling point, as well as the attractive "retro" design. I don't think it's a clash. I think it was a good choice to give me, at least (and I am a valid consumer), exactly what I wanted.

Pentaxian_TMB - I think you definitely need to give the MX-1 more time and different scenarios. I don't think you've found the strengths of the camera yet. Every tool is different and can't be mastered in just one day.
07-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm enjoying the MX-1 very much, with only one complaint, AWB.
I'm not use to having to adjust WB very often, but tungsten and outdoor evening light is a real problem on mine.
07-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm enjoying the MX-1 very much, with only one complaint, AWB.
I'm not use to having to adjust WB very often, but tungsten and outdoor evening light is a real problem on mine.
Agreed; it does struggle, especially with artificial lighting. Another good reason to shoot RAW! Setting manual white balance is a BREEZE, though, and I can't believe I didn't get my white balance cards sooner. It is easy as pie! and greatly improves accuracy. I use the white balance cards to manually set the white balance the majority of the time, now that I have them. For my MX-1 and K-30. I highly recommend it.
07-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Walked around with my new mx-1 before heading home from the office. The camera actually fits nicely in the palm of my hand. The LCD screen performs well in sunlight. JPEG engine renders colors nicely. Very "fun" to use. Still, I read the rave reviews about the great lowlight, ISO performance of this thing. But, take a look at my shot of the capital below. At ISO 540, there is TONS of purple noise in the sky. Also, the camera seems to produce a fair amount of barrel distortion (note the leaning tower dome in the bike pic.) I read about the problem with the tungsten WB, did didn't realize it would be this bad. I had the color profile set to normal and WB to tungsten and it doesn't look like the tungsten compensator has any effect.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo