Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #76

I got my replacement today. ...think this one works!

07-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I got my replacement today. ...think this one works!

Great!! Glad you gave it another shot.
07-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #78

A few from this weekend:

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 07-28-2014 at 07:48 AM.
08-04-2014, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In praise of the Mx-1
Like many with this camera, I’m surprised at the quality you can eke out of it. But what is harder to quantify is the fun and the exploration this camera encourages.
I find myself grabbing it more than my K-30, and truth be told, it just feels great in the hand, like it’s meant to be used a lot.
Here’s the kicker for me, though. I’ve wanted to explore square format photography. I have an old Yashica TLR, but film and processing is not cheap. So, I now regularly switch the MX-1 to the 1:1 format, then to monochrome (I shoot in RAW so I know the colour is still there, but seeing the screen in b&w helps to see the textures, the composition). I put the screen in the 90 degree angle, and voila, I’m shooting somewhat like an old twin lens reflex.
What’s surprising is how much this changes your photography, how you see things a bit differently – subtle differences perhaps, but there’s a novelty at work if you are used to 4:3.
Anyway, just wanted to add my voice to the praises of this humble little compact.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-04-2014, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

Hibiscus Harlequin Bug

1cm Macro mode

08-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Which mountain is that?
Cool shot btw
Thank you!!! Sorry for not replying (somehow I missed the post)

-It is Mt. Hood (near Portland, OR)

And the pictures are taken through not so clean window in a moving plane...
08-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been enjoying the MX-1 immensely. Its definitely my "carry all the time" camera and allows me to capture shots I wouldn't otherwise get because its always with me.

Its also small enough that people don't look at you funny when you start shooting with it (as opposed to a dSLR which sometimes makes people uncomfortable).

08-13-2014, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #83
Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone in this thread as your comments and photos were a big encouragement to me to get my "new" refurbished MX-1. I was looking for a camera to carry with me all the time. I love my K-30 but it's just too big and heavy and inconvenient to carry with me everywhere. This morning I was driving to work and noticed the sunrise and since I had my MX-1 with me, I was able to get this shot.

08-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
In praise of the Mx-1
Like many with this camera, I’m surprised at the quality you can eke out of it. But what is harder to quantify is the fun and the exploration this camera encourages.
I find myself grabbing it more than my K-30, and truth be told, it just feels great in the hand, like it’s meant to be used a lot.
Here’s the kicker for me, though. I’ve wanted to explore square format photography. I have an old Yashica TLR, but film and processing is not cheap. So, I now regularly switch the MX-1 to the 1:1 format, then to monochrome (I shoot in RAW so I know the colour is still there, but seeing the screen in b&w helps to see the textures, the composition). I put the screen in the 90 degree angle, and voila, I’m shooting somewhat like an old twin lens reflex.
What’s surprising is how much this changes your photography, how you see things a bit differently – subtle differences perhaps, but there’s a novelty at work if you are used to 4:3.
Anyway, just wanted to add my voice to the praises of this humble little compact.

Aspect ratio aside, the "waist level finder" on the MX-1 has grown on me immensely. It makes the MX-1 the kind of discreet camera that can be taken anywhere. Dare I say more discreet than even the diminutive Q? I'll be sad when the electronics finally fail as all electronics do (hence my slow migration to a hybrid package). Till then, however, this has become my "go to" walk around digital.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-14-2014 at 12:05 AM.
08-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #85
Pentaxian

I've went through the Flickr offerings of a couple of PF members, and it helped seal the deal. We hike a lot, and I shoot a lot of flowers -- but of course there's landscape to be taken in, as well. I usually juggle a combo of Tamron 90/Sigma 10/20/ Kit 18-55 on my K-50, but that usually sees me lagging pretty far behind my wife and daughter on the trails. I was considering a Sigma 18-250 or Pentax 18-135 (seemed to have the best ratings/picture samples), but then I saw a black MX-1 go up for listing in our Marketplace -- and I pulled that trigger instead. I like the macro results I see from it, and the 24mm is wide enough for scenery. When I look at shots from the MX-1, and those two other lenses, I don't see enough of a quality difference to justify spending at least $150 more for a lens that I would rarely use outside of hiking/vacations (maybe). When I go to shoot, I go with an idea in mind of what I want to do, so I usually just bring that specific lens for the job. I may very well invest in a super-zoom of some kind down the road, but I think the MX-1 will fit the bill nicely for now

Needless to say -- really looking forward to the mailbox each day
08-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #86

This is a great thread for me - trying to find the right compact. Had got it down to LX7 or RX100. The Sony is very fiddly to use, so was about to click the button for an LX7. Now seriously considering the MX-1 as well.
08-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #87
Site Supporter

My only complaint so far with the MX-1 is the Auto WB.
I'm not used to having to change it, but must for some inside light or outside shade situations.
It's my go to camera for pics to post on my bbq forum.

08-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #88
Site Supporter

WB update.
Poked around and found "AWB in Tungsten Light" in the menu (C-4) set it to strong correction and this seems to have fixed my main WB problem.
So many menu items, so little time.
08-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
WB update.
Poked around and found "AWB in Tungsten Light" in the menu (C-4) set it to strong correction and this seems to have fixed my main WB problem.
So many menu items, so little time.

Thanks, just tried, really does improved......
08-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Just received it today -- I like it. Agreed with all on the AWB -- it needs help. Seems like a nice little piece of gear. Will probably go hiking this long Labor Day weekend, so it should see some action.