Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
given that the MX-1 is clearly being closed out at fire-sale prices right now. Still, I've seen no hints or rumors about a replacement.
Hmm, I wonder why dealers are selling it for half the original MSRP when it debuted less than a year ago. The K-01 and original Q also had similar massive price cuts, presumably to address poor sales and to clear out inventory. In the case of the K-01, however, there was no (and appears will not be a) replacement, but the Q10 and Q7 have come out to replace the first Q. I would hope there is a MX-2 the same way that other camera makers put out an LX5/LX7, or XZ-2, but then again, Ricoh may decide to concentrate its resources on the GR compact camera line with the much larger APS-C sensor, and leave the 1/1.7" sensor for the Q7.

01-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I doubt there will ever be an MX-2... any upgrades on the MX-1 will most probably create competition for their own product... Ricoh GR.
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I doubt there will ever be an MX-2... any upgrades on the MX-1 will most probably create competition for their own product... Ricoh GR.
So you think the MX-1 was in the Hoya product pipeline before the Ricoh takeover? That would make sense to me. They might not have enough spacing between the Q7 line of cameras and their GR to support yet another enthusiast compact.
01-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
So you think the MX-1 was in the Hoya product pipeline before the Ricoh takeover? That would make sense to me. They might not have enough spacing between the Q7 line of cameras and their GR to support yet another enthusiast compact.
Most probably MX-1 had its roots when Pentax was under Hoya... Q was under Hoya as well as far as I know.

Considering Q7 already has the same sensor size as the MX-1... I doubt MX-2 is even an idea for them.
I guess Ricoh is cleaning up and trying to organize and put some sense on their Pentax product line.

01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Not if it stays similar to what it is now - a smaller sensor (still good size for what it is) with a 4x fast zoom lens.

If they can get a newer, better version of the sensor I'm sure there's good reason to release an update. It's a great camera and the receiption has been very positive, which is good for the Pentax brand.
01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Not if it stays similar to what it is now - a smaller sensor (still good size for what it is) with a 4x fast zoom lens.

If they can get a newer, better version of the sensor I'm sure there's good reason to release an update. It's a great camera and the receiption has been very positive, which is good for the Pentax brand.
I hope I am wrong since I do like the camera... but I do doubt because like I have said above, Q7 already has the same sensor size as the MX-1.
To upgrade the MX-1 will probably mean to go to a bigger sensor size. Next best level is the APS-C sensor... P&S APS-C sensor... GR competition.
01-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the market for camera's in the pricerange of the MX-1 is small, so I guess that a lifetimespan off two years would be very normal. Overhere the price is 299 euro and already for some time now.

I guess that a new model would require a new sensor, otherwise there isn't much sense to update the model.
01-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Given the behavior of the camera industry... the answer to that question is apparently yes.
It does seem like anything with a sensor smaller than Full Frame gets updated every year. Apparently manufactures haven't managed to pull the wool over the the eyes of purchaser's of the pro bodies, or the the cost is too much or a combination thereof.

But as you say, in the US, the MX-1 is priced to sell as if to reduce inventory in a matter typically done before a launch. Having just gotten my MX-1 yesterday, I'm not looking to upgrade yet, but ultimately it would depend on what an MX-2 or whatever might offer. Oh and true to form for whenever I get a new camera, the weather outside is crap.

Last edited by RyanW; 01-10-2014 at 11:55 AM.
01-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
But as you say, in the US, the MX-1 is priced to sell as if to reduce inventory in a matter typically done before a launch.
Well, as of today, B&H now lists the MX-1 as "discontinued" and Adorama indicates it is no longer available.

That was not the case Friday morning when I logged into B&H and clicked the buy button. I apparently managed to order among the last copies (from B&H, at least). I am hopeful that I will actually receive it (the order has been "sent to the warehouse" but has not shipped yet). I fell in love with the little thing just in the nick of time, it would appear.
01-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

So, the MX-1 is discontinued a year after launch, much like the K-01. Is then the MX-1 a failure for P/R? I doubt it.
Personally I like to think the K-01 and now the MX-1 are deliberately limited editions which then become cult-cams
01-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
So, the MX-1 is discontinued a year after launch, much like the K-01. Is then the MX-1 a failure for P/R? I doubt it.
Personally I like to think the K-01 and now the MX-1 are deliberately limited editions which then become cult-cams

I think Pentax planned a certain number of units to run with. Good, bad, or indifferent the run is over. It's like a book that only gets a first printing. After that they may move on to a successor or maybe they will go on toward a different direction. Personally, I hope there will be a MX-2.
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Adorama still sells the Silver MX-1 from this link below, for $249
Pentax MX1 Digital Camera - Silver 12633

although it's weird that if you do a search on their website for "MX-1," this product page does not show up and it indicates that the black color version is discontinued. No silver version is found through a search.
01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #28
Banned

According to all sources, the MX-1 was selling well across different territories. Because it is a premium compact category, best of all compact camera classes — Pentax does not bother with any other compact category, only premium category. That category still sells well.

Thus the concept obviously works, people love the camera, and the new lens patent for 1/1.7” sensor’s 21-84mm fast lens may suggest we may see a first real wide-angle compact from Ricoh Imaging soon. Maybe the MX-2.

But many things have happened in the last 12 months, and one of them is that Ricoh Imaging has worked hard to implement the new imagine engine and new technologies. Some of it may go into a new compact camera and make it even better.
01-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Well, as of today, B&H now lists the MX-1 as "discontinued" and Adorama indicates it is no longer available.

That was not the case Friday morning when I logged into B&H and clicked the buy button. I apparently managed to order among the last copies (from B&H, at least). I am hopeful that I will actually receive it (the order has been "sent to the warehouse" but has not shipped yet). I fell in love with the little thing just in the nick of time, it would appear.
I got mine and really like it. Shot a bunch with it this last weekend.
01-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thinking of buying this for my mother who can't use a DSLR worth of &*(&*(&