Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

Follow-up to the MX-1?

Now that the MX-1 is a year old...has anybody heard of plans of a follow-up to it?

01-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do we need an annual replacement to every model ?
Life isn't a competition.
01-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Given the behavior of the camera industry... the answer to that question is apparently yes. At least for most of the camera makers. But the question from the OP is not illogical, given that the MX-1 is clearly being closed out at fire-sale prices right now. Still, I've seen no hints or rumors about a replacement.
01-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes. We need two more:

MX-2 = hot shoe & EVF accessory (hot shoe mountable) on top of the current body

MX-3 = fixed 50mm f2 lens with 35mm sensor and EVF/Hotshoe from MX-2, add on a front control dial and weather sealing if there is time

I'm dreaming

01-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
MX-1ii?
01-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Given the behavior of the camera industry... the answer to that question is apparently yes.
Since when have PENTAX followed the trends and developed herds of sheeple?

I'm all for a firmware upgrade, but I don't need a new MX.
Hot-shoes on compacts are way overrated.
01-09-2014, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
I see, so simply asking if anybody has heard of a replacement warrants a crotchety response like that? I never said anything along the lines of "Ricoh should have an MX-1 replacement announced by now" but I think it would be interesting to see what their level of commitment to this segment (enthusiast compacts) is and whether the MX-1 was a one-off or they build on what was already a great camera.

01-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to see a replacement, but since the MX-1 is based on the Olympus XZ-2, I would guess that we have to wait for the Oly successor first. Just my opinion on this narrow matter...

Last edited by filoxophy; 01-09-2014 at 09:08 PM.
01-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

But business is!
01-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We have already seen the Olympus XZ-2 successor, haven't we? It's that the Stylus 1?
01-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
I see, so simply asking if anybody has heard of a replacement warrants a crotchety response like that? .
Oh come on, I think I am entitled to ask a question without anyone assuming I am crotchety It was a question followed by an opinion, don't make the mistake of assuming I was attacking you for posting your question, I wasn't - that's the internet for you, it's all in your head.
A simple question, "Do we really need an annual update to all models?"
I personally don't think we do, especially for a model where one of the design features are the brass plates which are designed to show through 'in time' to give that classic patina. Clearly designed to be a shooter to last a fair while not exchanged annually before it hardly has any finger grease on it.

As far as the business being a competition comment, yes well - you've taken my use of the word out of context, think about that
01-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Given the behavior of the camera industry... the answer to that question is apparently yes. At least for most of the camera makers. But the question from the OP is not illogical, given that the MX-1 is clearly being closed out at fire-sale prices right now....
In the US perhaps. In Australia it still fares at its $450 dollars, with no sign of dropping down in price anywhere yet.

But it is interesting to see how Ricoh Imaging reacts to different markets differently. So two possibilities are, that (1) they want to increase volume sale in the US through all its distributors and the MX-1 was specifically designed camera for it (it is made of mostly OEM parts), and (2) that a possible new successor camera is around the corner.

I would not be surprised if the MX-2 repeats the GR/K-3 success story, by coming with an entirely new (and larger) sensor, lens and updated image engine.
01-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh come on, I think I am entitled to ask a question without anyone assuming I am crotchety It was a question followed by an opinion, don't make the mistake of assuming I was attacking you for posting your question, I wasn't - that's the internet for you, it's all in your head.
A simple question, "Do we really need an annual update to all models?"
I personally don't think we do, especially for a model where one of the design features are the brass plates which are designed to show through 'in time' to give that classic patina. Clearly designed to be a shooter to last a fair while not exchanged annually before it hardly has any finger grease on it.

As far as the business being a competition comment, yes well - you've taken my use of the word out of context, think about that
I can never get the hang of these emotion icons so people often take my comments the wrong way on forums.

I think manufacturers perceive that unless a model is new then the public will forget it exists, hence the need for continual launches. Aside from having a Pentax dSLR I also have a Nikon J1 which I really like, Nikon are now up to J3 and there are rumours of a J4. All the Nikons J1,2 and 3 are still available new from places such as Amazon and if you read reviews a lot of comments about the J2 remark on the the fact that there is hardly any difference from the J1 - clearly Nikon felt the need to push their model back onto the 'New' list.

Remember classic cameras like the Olympus Trip that was made, largely unchanged, for 15 years - ah thems were the days.
01-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
Now that the MX-1 is a year old...has anybody heard of plans of a follow-up to it?
The news & rumors section isn't for speculation- moved to the compact section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Given the MX-1 is modeled on an older style, I see no reason why it couldn't last a few years at least.

Regards