Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love for a bit of extra lens reach if possible, and a smaller format, like my Option RZ18. I can take the RZ18 in my pocket and it's what I take pictures at baseball practice, where there's no time or place for a large SLR.
But I'll likely still buy an MX1 (or MX2) anyway, at the current prices it's quite the deal.

02-01-2014, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Move the lugs
Would not be a Pentax MX if they were moved.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
02-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Would not be a Pentax MX if they were moved.
The world has moved on, Gunslinger...
02-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

So what you're after is all new styling, iow - you don't like 'Retro' ?

02-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

So what you're after is all new styling, iow - you don't like 'Retro' ?
Well, are the location of the lugs what makes this camera a Pentax MX? Because... I ain't no expert, but it appears as if they have changed a lot from the original design of the Pentax MX. You know, like... pretty much everything. ;-)

Why keep the lug location since it is now inefficient? Coming out with new designs is meant to improve on the old one. The lug location doesn't work.

I'm not looking to start a war, and I'm sure this topic has been talked TO DEATH. I read a hundred reviews before I bought the MX-1 and the awkward angle the camera is forced to hang at because of the imbalance created by the lug placement was mentioned in every single one. I'm not making any great revelations, here.
02-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ah, well you should have mentioned that in the first place, I thought you just wanted them moved for the sake of change
The body shape, the brass and lugs are really the most important part of the MX flavour which they obviously felt important to retain, for retro's sake.
Personally I never hang cameras around my neck, so it's no issue to me at all. I don't actually even use the strap either, it only needs a wrist strap.
Though I don't recall reading any reviews that mentioned the lug placement is a problem tbh. Were they a problem for the original MX users?
02-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Ah, well you should have mentioned that in the first place, I thought you just wanted them moved for the sake of change
The body shape, the brass and lugs are really the most important part of the MX flavour which they obviously felt important to retain, for retro's sake.
Personally I never hang cameras around my neck, so it's no issue to me at all. I don't actually even use the strap either, it only needs a wrist strap.
Though I don't recall reading any reviews that mentioned the lug placement is a problem tbh. Were they a problem for the original MX users?
I TOTALLY agree that the elongated, low form and the cool-to-the-touch weight of the brass is iconic to the style of the MX-1, which I love. I wish the DSLRs had the classic, vintage look, not to mention the beautiful text font; so much personality!

BUT. I do use the neck strap! When i got my MX-1, I attached the (cute little) neck strap and slipped it over my head just to confirm: Yep. Nope.

I'm currently shopping for an appropriately classy wrist strap. :-)

02-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The camera does point up when its around your neck, I wanted to do some stealth street shooting with a remote (as an experiment) but I had to pull the screen out to straighten it (not very ninja like).

I always use a wrist strap anyway, got a nice leather one with the case, miles better.

The only thing that should be important for the MX-2 is the price, after all, that's why I bought the MX-1.
02-02-2014, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Mashup #2

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
02-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #25

Same size sensor and same lens, functional ring around the lens to change settings (eg aperture), larger buffer and faster raw processing, hot shoe and optional EVF = most of the minor irritations with the first camera ironed out for me. WiFi would be nice. WR would be even nicer. Could live without the hotshoe and EVF.
02-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The red quick movie button should inherit the Movie mode settings.
02-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

So, the MX-1 is showing as discontinued at B&H. MX-2 must be around the corner
02-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Doubt it. Nothing followed the K-01 discontinuation.
Besides, an MX-2 so soon wouldn't have allowed enough time for MX-1 owners to see the (much advertised) brass 'patina' appear
02-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Doubt it. Nothing followed the K-01 discontinuation.
Besides, an MX-2 so soon wouldn't have allowed enough time for MX-1 owners to see the (much advertised) brass 'patina' appear
I don't know. The K-01 was widely panned. The MX-1 got great reviews and a lot of happy customers...
02-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

People have been speculating about this for over 7 months...still cricket cricket in reality.