Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

Buy Mx-1? Or wait for Mx-2?

I'm wondering what people's opinions are on purchasing the Mx-1?
I'm looking to buy a more compact camera before summer and I can't decide if to purchase the Mx-1 now while it's so cheap or wait for the Mx-2 (or whatever the next in the line is called).
I'm leaning a little more towards buying the Mx-1 because its 1/4 of the price it came out at now.
Convince me either way please!
Thanks

02-01-2014, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How can one possibly think of waiting for something that doesn't exist?

If you want to shot some pics, buy a camera - period.
02-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I actually just received my MX-1 a couple days ago and I am pretty impressed. It's very attractive, in my opinion. It looks like a camera. :-) Handling is great and the buttons and menus are familiar, coming from my K-30. I love the features accessible by the various buttons on the machine and you don't have to dig too deep in the menus to change the other various things (Info button is a go-to, for sure). Articulating screen is handy, I don't miss the viewfinder and I've never used a hotshoe in my life.

I had the same intentions as you with this purchase; I wanted something smaller than my DSLR to carry with me, and for the features and the price, this was definitely the best choice for me. It doesn't leave me wanting much and the image quality is very good, though, obviously not DSLR-good.

It's fun to use and makes nice images. Not more I could ask for!
02-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
How can one possibly think of waiting for something that doesn't exist?

If you want to shot some pics, buy a camera - period.
I own a K-30, but I want to downsize for backpacking and camping.
I'm not looking to replace the K-30, but just have an alternative, smaller camera.

And I'm waiting for the possibility of it coming out. I don't know what it will be like, but I'm speculating.

02-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I actually just received my MX-1 a couple days ago and I am pretty impressed. It's very attractive, in my opinion. It looks like a camera. :-) Handling is great and the buttons and menus are familiar, coming from my K-30. I love the features accessible by the various buttons on the machine and you don't have to dig too deep in the menus to change the other various things (Info button is a go-to, for sure). Articulating screen is handy, I don't miss the viewfinder and I've never used a hotshoe in my life.

I had the same intentions as you with this purchase; I wanted something smaller than my DSLR to carry with me, and for the features and the price, this was definitely the best choice for me. It doesn't leave me wanting much and the image quality is very good, though, obviously not DSLR-good.

It's fun to use and makes nice images. Not more I could ask for!
Thanks for this advice. Sounds like a mini, not quite as good version of the K-30. I think if I can round of the money I will go ahead and purchase it. Sounds like a great camera.
02-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been eyeing the MX-1 for a while now - especially since the price cut.

I don't need a smaller camera, and some others I've tried in the past left me wanting after being spoiled with the APS-C sensor without the AA filter in my K-5IIs. But I know I have to learn to comprimise if I am going to buy a smaller sensor camera.

I like the feature set of this camera, and the images I've seen from it are great. A big plus for me is the ability to shoot raw.

Sdenby - I need to apologize for the tone of my post above. I've just seen so many people take rumors to the point of thinking something they want is actually coming. Even if a new version of the MX were announced next month, the time it takes to be produced, shipped to the dealers, and into your hands is a few months at best. That is why I say if you want a camera for this summer, you may as well get one now. Also.....it seems there are very few of the MX-1 left at the great discounted price. Myself, I am such a procrastinator, that I will probably wait too long and will miss out. One thing for almost certain though - if a new version does come out you can bet it will be at least 2x more expensive - maybe even 3x.
02-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For $250, you will not have any regrets. Truly, the RAW quality is excellent and very workable in my photo editing software (PSE 11). I am coming from all manual lenses, so I am having to adjust to using auto-focus. But, the manual focus feature on the MX-1 is much more pleasant than I imagined it would be. Precise and intuitive, in my opinion.

Like I said, I only got the camera a couple days ago, so I am still learning its features, but so far I have been able to achieve what I want with it. And, after all, that's what our cameras are for: Capturing our visions! :-)

02-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've been eyeing the MX-1 for a while now - especially since the price cut.

I don't need a smaller camera, and some others I've tried in the past left me wanting after being spoiled with the APS-C sensor without the AA filter in my K-5IIs. But I know I have to learn to comprimise if I am going to buy a smaller sensor camera.

I like the feature set of this camera, and the images I've seen from it are great. A big plus for me is the ability to shoot raw.

Sdenby - I need to apologize for the tone of my post above. I've just seen so many people take rumors to the point of thinking something they want is actually coming. Even if a new version of the MX were announced next month, the time it takes to be produced, shipped to the dealers, and into your hands is a few months at best. That is why I say if you want a camera for this summer, you may as well get one now. Also.....it seems there are very few of the MX-1 left at the great discounted price. Myself, I am such a procrastinator, that I will probably wait too long and will miss out. One thing for almost certain though - if a new version does come out you can bet it will be at least 2x more expensive - maybe even 3x.
No worries. I haven't even heard any rumors about an Mx-2. I'm trying to weigh the consequences of possibly waiting for something that may not ever exist.
02-01-2014, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #9

"For $250, you will not have any regrets."

Available on Woot right now for $199. I bought mine from them a couple of months ago (@249). Great little camera.

Shawn
02-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Another feature that I just learned about after watching a review video is the macro feature. It seems with the MX-1 you don't need to push a button or access a menu item to get into macro mode like with similar cameras - the MX-1 does it automatically.

Another feather that I really want is the tilting LCD screen. One thing I really miss when I had a Panasonic GH2 was the articulating screen. I like to do a lot of close up pics very low to the ground. I just can' get down on the ground anymore due to physical limitations so the tilting screen along with the easy macro mode really talks to me.

Also nice to hear the manual focus works well.
02-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
"For $250, you will not have any regrets."

Available on Woot right now for $199. I bought mine from them a couple of months ago (@249). Great little camera.

Shawn
I can't find it on woot?
Is it just a daily deal thing on there?
I see previous sales of the Mx-1 and Q-10 but no current ones.
02-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with Stan, if you need a small and compact camera, GET IT! I'm sure it won't disappoint. You'll regret it when they sell out... aren't they like in the $200-250 range? That's a crazy good price! (only thing that has personally been holding me back is lack of a hotshoe, because it is a very important feature for me and the fact that my old Canon P&S is still going strong after so many years and IQ is still good for such an old cam... but soon as it does bite the dust, it'll be hello to a new MX-1 for me! )

So even if you did wait and there was an MX-2 released, it would not be anywhere near that price by summer- it be more like $500+ and you can get TWO MX-1s + accessories and extras for that price. Plus, I can't see how they could offer massive improvements... probably won't have any super amazing new features, maybe a a couple more MPs or something...
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #13

"to get into macro mode like with similar cameras - the MX-1 does it automatically."

Up to a point. It has two macro modes. In regular autofocus mode it will go into the second of the two macro modes automatically. However, for the nearest macro mode 1cm (which fixes the zoom position) you do need to hit a button to change the focus mode. Another nice focusing feature is the mash the shutter PF feature, though the AF itself is very fast on the MX1.

Shawn
02-01-2014, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #14

"I can't find it on woot?
Is it just a daily deal thing on there?"

Woot has their daily deals as well as some that last a few days. Right now the MX-1 (and Q10 and K500) are on a deal that ends Feb. 6th.

Cameras & Accessories

MX-1 is getting so cheap I'd love to get a second one and modify it for IR.

Shawn
02-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I agree with Stan, if you need a small and compact camera, GET IT! I'm sure it won't disappoint. You'll regret it when they sell out... aren't they like in the $200-250 range? That's a crazy good price! (only thing that has personally been holding me back is lack of a hotshoe, because it is a very important feature for me and the fact that my old Canon P&S is still going strong after so many years and IQ is still good for such an old cam... but soon as it does bite the dust, it'll be hello to a new MX-1 for me! )

So even if you did wait and there was an MX-2 released, it would not be anywhere near that price by summer- it be more like $500+ and you can get TWO MX-1s + accessories and extras for that price. Plus, I can't see how they could offer massive improvements... probably won't have any super amazing new features, maybe a a couple more MPs or something...
Great points here. Maybe I will just buy a ton of accessories