Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Point & Shoot Competition #75: Miniature World

The topic for this month will be "Miniature World"

Small objects in a large world, this should be fun, considering most of the smaller cameras have great macro modes.

The idea is key here, you dont need elaborate set ups, theres loads online for inspiration [Google image search]

Inspiration

The contest will be judged on composition, technique and imaginative interpretation of the theme.

The rules:

1. Have lots of fun!
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras.
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).
Any camera brand allowed.

3. Entries will close on Feb 28, 2014 Midnight (GMT).
4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.
6. Post-processing will probably be needed but try to get as much of it within camera. If PP is used please submit before/after shot to show how great you are.
7. The photos in this contest must have been shot within the last 6 months.
8. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.
9. Enter up to 3 images.
10. Feel free to post a shot which shows off your setup.
11. HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Mooey; 02-06-2014 at 07:32 AM.
02-03-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
When a competition is running, maybe a mod could make it into a 'sticky thread'? (Especially as this thread contains donuts)
02-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great theme--and photograph! I love it.
David
02-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

I would love to participate but my only compact is a Ricoh GR which ticks all the boxes except sensor size one. Impossible to reconsider us "GR-ists"?

02-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't point two under "cameras permitted" allow a GR?
02-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
The way I read it, sensor size is no longer a huge factor as long as it's 35mm or less, and fixed-lens. An A7R or an NEX-5 wouldn't be allowed, but any fixed-lens 35mm-and-under film or digital would..even a GR, an X100 or a RX1.
02-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The way I read it, sensor size is no longer a huge factor as long as it's 35mm or less, and fixed-lens. An A7R or an NEX-5 wouldn't be allowed, but any fixed-lens 35mm-and-under film or digital would..even a GR, an X100 or a RX1.
Sorry guys, I misread that part. but this put me off

QuoteQuote:
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
Ok then. GRs allowed. good to know. Ill give it a try. cheers.
02-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice one, more the merrier. I've got an idea but I need to go the shops and buy my actors ;-)

02-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

Ricoh GR, Macro setting, at F2.8, cant remember the iso or shutter speed on top of my head. Only contrast added in lightroom.
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote
Sorry guys, I misread that part. but this put me off

Ok then. GRs allowed. good to know. Ill give it a try. cheers.
Actually, I must have missed that, because I was looking for it. That would limit the sensor size to 1" cameras like the Sony RX100 as the upper limit, not the APS-C GR.

Sorry, I missed that.
02-05-2014, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote

Ricoh GR, Macro setting, at F2.8, cant remember the iso or shutter speed on top of my head. Only contrast added in lightroom.
Amazing photograph, Chris.
02-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Actually, I must have missed that, because I was looking for it. That would limit the sensor size to 1" cameras like the Sony RX100 as the upper limit, not the APS-C GR.

Sorry, I missed that.
If you read the rules in order it starts off with the 1" sensor size limit (along with no ILCs) but then has the line...

Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder cameras.

That should mean an APS-C camera with a fixed lens (like the GR, X100 or Sigma DPs) is allowed.

Shawn
02-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
If you read the rules in order it starts off with the 1" sensor size limit (along with no ILCs) but then has the line...

That should mean an APS-C camera with a fixed lens (like the GR, X100 or Sigma DPs) is allowed.

Shawn
So we have a rules coding problem. I thought we had all agreed some time ago after a gigantic argument that, I have to admit, I started, that for digital cameras 1" was the maximum, but for film cameras, 35mm was the maximum, as long as none of them had interchangeable lenses (except the Auto 110 and Q which get special dispensation.) And further, you could go up to 6x9 as long as it was a folding, box, or holga-style film camera.

So, the judge has final say, so which is it? 1" for digital cameras, or 35mm? The Judge can change the rules for the individual contest, I just thought our camera definition was a pretty good baseline.
02-06-2014, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I copied and pasted the rules......I don't really care to honest. Somebody with more authority can have the final say.

So many posts and only one image, lets get them cameras out and start clicking.
02-06-2014, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooey Quote
I copied and pasted the rules......I don't really care to honest. Somebody with more authority can have the final say.

So many posts and only one image, lets get them cameras out and start clicking.
Nobody has more authority than the judge.