Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

MX-1 Arrived :) First Thoughts

So, my MX-1 arrived yesterday I could not resist the firesale price, especially since i have been in the hunt for a good compact camera for a while now (since I lost my RX100 )
I will comment on the image quality in a following post, because i just played around with it and have not yet looked at any of the pics on a full sized screen.

It is smaller than I pictured it would be. Granted, I am a big guy, so my perspective may be skewed, but a lot of the comments i have read focused on how big it was. I found the opposite to be true. In fact I can fit it in my jeans pocket no problem. Like i said though, i am a big guy and i DO NOT wear skinny jeans lol.

It is built very densely, and is very solid, probably the most so of any compact camera i have handled.
The dials are nice and tight, moreso than my K-30, which is a peeve of mine. I want a positive feel when i switch modes and exposure compensation and have confidence that they wont be turned accidentally.

I LOVE the articulating screen. I know a lot of people require a viewfinder...for me i dont need one in a compact camera. And the articulating screen makes getting low much easier than I could with a view finder. That opens up a whole new world for me Plus looking down makes me more "incognito" than holding a camera to my face. Great for street shooting
I also like the fact that I can make adjustments and see how they look real time. This helps me out for B&W shots.

The lens cap/leash is kind of lame. I will change it out for something better. It is definitely a weak point, I know the lens cap will come off everytime i stick it in my pocket.

More to come. Tonight I will be going to a concert, so we shall see how it performs in the worst kind of lighting.

02-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
compare to Lumix LX7!

I would love to see this camera, and also the Ricoh fixed-lens pocket cameras, compared to the Lumix LX7. It's a great little camera with a really wide zoom, and it would be fascinating to see how it stacks up against the Ricoh/Pentax point-and-shoots.
02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexcox Quote
I would love to see this camera, and also the Ricoh fixed-lens pocket cameras, compared to the Lumix LX7. It's a great little camera with a really wide zoom, and it would be fascinating to see how it stacks up against the Ricoh/Pentax point-and-shoots.
The LX7 is the camera i wanted for the longest time. I really like that is goes to 24mm equivalent.
With MX-1, the price was right. Also, i really wanted an articulating screen for a camera this type.
02-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the LX7 and while good ended up selling it. The MX-1 IQ appears to be better for me and is only missing the 24mm equivalent view and f1.4 lens.

Dale

02-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some pics I took:

The top two shots were at ISO 3200. I used DxO and i think it over did the noise reduction...but I doubt you could tell if I were to make 4x6 prints of them.
I think if you are careful with post processing, you can get away with ISO 3200 no problem.
02-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Here are some pics I took:

The top two shots were at ISO 3200. I used DxO and i think it over did the noise reduction...but I doubt you could tell if I were to make 4x6 prints of them.
I think if you are careful with post processing, you can get away with ISO 3200 no problem.
to be serious I think most ppl can't tell whether a 4*6 picture is took by a PS or a DSLR unless the DOV is very very shallow.
and the iso 3200 looks very acceptable for me. for a 1/1.7 i try to keep iso below 400, but probably i can try higher....
02-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

Just got mine as well and the low light performance is damn good at F1.8. The macro mode is quite impressive, I am almost afraid of banging the lens into the subject! My only gripe is that it's a bit chunky but for the IQ, I will suffer through it gladly.

Unedited Samples:

02-23-2014, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some I took at a concert a week or so ago:

02-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

amazing. and you used the star filter?
02-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
amazing. and you used the star filter?
No star filter...they were raw files, white balance was out of the camera and just used DxO defaults for all of them.

The lens is bitingly sharp. You can look at the full size files and pixel peep.
02-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No star filter...they were raw files, white balance was out of the camera and just used DxO defaults for all of them.

The lens is bitingly sharp. You can look at the full size files and pixel peep.
I mean the third picture.....the only reason is, all the starlight seems post-edited and a little bit artificial.
03-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

These shots are wonderful. Sure they are high ISO and not flawless but they have nice detail and tonality. Well done; might be what I am looking for.
03-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
These shots are wonderful. Sure they are high ISO and not flawless but they have nice detail and tonality. Well done; might be what I am looking for.
Agreed! The MX-1 definitely seems like a slick little camera. The close focus ability seems especially impressive.
03-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea, if you keep your ISO low and don't have the idea that you will be making 20x30 prints, then this camera can do almost anything you need it to... in a very pretty package
03-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

I like the folding lcd screen. I am visiting memphis and I can just tilt the screen and look down at the camera to frame the shots. Its great.