Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
MX-1 in the Texas Hill Country - First Shots & First Impressions

Here are some of my first shots from my MX-1. Compared to my Q, the image quality is a noticeable step up. There are a few refinements that I wish would come as a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath. I love the tilting, high-res LCD. The battery life is much stronger than the Q. The JPEG processing is much more aggressive and artificial-looking than the Q's light-handed approach... but there is much more detail in the MX-1 files. RAW highlight recovery is awesome (see bridge picture). RAW write times aren't as bad as some say, in my opinion. As long as you aren't shooting fast action I don't see it being a problem. The fast lens produces some convincing bokeh, even at longer distances. This would be an almost ideal travel camera.

Some of these are RAW, some are SOOC JPEG. Enjoy!

02-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've eyed this cam since it came out but have been happy with my Ricoh GR flavours coupled with my DSLRs ... It always seemed to be redundant, falling in the middle of the two. But these images are really nice... as the price comes down I might have to pick one up to tinker with and pack around with me. It's nice seeing this series all in the same photo outing to give context from one image to another. Thanks.
02-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos OP--thanks for posting. Unless I miss my guess, some were taken at Enchanted Rock State Natural Area. The mix of pink granite and lichen on the mountainside there makes for a very beautiful combination.

I've learned to love my black MX-1, it produces some gorgeous images--whether RAW or JPEG. A much under-appreciated camera.
02-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes! Enchanted Rock. My uncle has a ranch house near Stonewall, TX which is a short drive down the road so I've visited often. I look forward to shooting in the coming Spring months when there's a bit more green.