Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After dithering for a while, I've decided to get one while the getting is good. I blame Blunty. He has a lot of love for the MX-1, and his enthusiasm is contagious.

02-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Haha, yeah - he's cost me a few dollars on various things as well..
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Be that as it may, but where is the original source (manufacturers) of this information? Do Ricoh send this proprietary/in-house information to review sites to let everyone on the web know they have a 90% clone of another brand?? Or do reviewers just read what someone has guessed at then repeat it in their own reviews? I mean, review sites like DPR are always 100% right, right?
No, of course they are not always right, they are written by humans just like the rest of us and often reviews of a product has errors, sometimes they haven't actually held the product at all, they just needed to be first to the post to attract hits to their site. (Cynic, me?! )
The internet is a wonderful place and a great source of information, but it's also full of rubbish, fools, liars, armchair experts and monumental ultracrepidarianism.. Personally I never accept anything which doesn't have some verifiable supporting evidence, especially from casual posts on forums. But that's just me.
Steve, I've read this in numerous reviews...I only cited a few examples. Based on how often I read it, I assumed it was probably true. But to your point, I never blindly accepted that...it just wasn't important enough to me to invest the effort to 100% confirm it. I bought the MX-1 based on its own merits, owner reviews, and the price point.

I've only had a few chances to shoot it so far, I've been too busy digging out from the constant snowstorms we've been getting hit with in the Northeast. But so far, I really like it.
02-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Steve, I've read this in numerous reviews...I only cited a few examples.
Yep, but (for me) it doesn't make it any more valid. Just repeated.

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
But to your point, I never blindly accepted that...it just wasn't important enough to me to invest the effort to 100% confirm it. I bought the MX-1 based on its own merits, owner reviews, and the price point.
Exactly, Dave

(PS: I wasn't directing my comments squarely at you, my questions are mostly rhetorical)

02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Steve.Ledger -- ultracrepidarianism ?!? Had to look that one up --

"Ultracrepidarianism is the habit of giving opinions and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge. "

You used this unique word perfectly!
02-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
@Steve.Ledger -- ultracrepidarianism ?!? Had to look that one up --

"Ultracrepidarianism is the habit of giving opinions and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge. "

You used this unique word perfectly!
If there were ever a Ultracrepidarianism filter applied to the internet. Most of the content would disappear
02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I would not expect DSLR response...but for $199 i say its well worth it. I personally have not felt the sluggishness, but I have not taxed it too much. For me, this is a casual camera where I don't need high performance.
the sluggishness is when you use Raw+ (JPEG)