Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

MX-1 Most Underapreciated Compact?

It appears that the close out pricing of the MX-1 is increasing sales based on more forum interest. I too picked an MX-1 up a few months ago and it is a gem; possibly the best value proposition out there in a compact. Fast and sharp zoom lens paired with a good sensor. Where have we heard that before? The K01 was also a camera that sold once prices were discounted and unfortunately for Pentax, both cameras were not successful on the sales front (at least at regular prices). Hopefully, if there is an MX-2 it has a few extra features that pull more users.

Dale

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want one. With everyone talking about them I would love to have one I keep in my glovebox for the times when my SLR is not handy. It doesnt hurt that it is one sexy little beast as well.
02-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice photo, DDoram...good ad for the MX-1!
02-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks as it is a neat camera.

Dale

02-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great camera but I think the Olympus XZ-2 might be stealing its glory. It has the same specs plus the hot shoe and the possibility to add the very nice digital viewfinder.
02-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Great camera but I think the Olympus XZ-2 might be stealing its glory. It is an identical camera plus the hot shoe and the possibility to add the very nice digital viewfinder.
This should be a bit more correct.
02-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It will be a hot cake if it has the sensor of the GR.
02-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
While the GR is in another class, the XS-1 sensor performs quite well with that sharp lens.

Dale

02-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Where is the proof (not hearsay) that the MX-1 and the XZ-2 are Identical Cameras. Show me evidence that these two cameras are internally the same camera.
I'm not disputing it, I just want proof which is not based on similarities and rumors or that it's been done before with other models.

I read a lot of this sort of thing on forums, but it's never backed up with any proof, only regurgitation of posts from elsewhere.
02-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'll go and find the lens diagrams, but in the mean time you can 1. compare the spec sheets or 2. look at both from the front (yeah, it's that simple).

Edit: Can't get the images to display properly. You'll have to google, sorry.

Seriously, when a camera has identical hardware specs to another it's sort of guaranteed they are identical internally. It's not the first time this has been done and not the last. And there are not that many camera and lens designs, at least for compacts.

Last edited by Giklab; 02-16-2014 at 02:42 PM.
02-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Obviously the lenses are the same. The firmware's not the same. Everything in between (besides the externals) I don't know.
02-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I've read, in posts here and elsewhere about the MX-1, is that owners love it. Solid, great handling, excellent images for its sensor size.

'Underrated' may actually mean a lack of marketing dollars. A lack of advertising and promotion and sample cameras given out for reviews. Look. In real life, almost ALL new cameras are pretty good. But the ones that get the best reviews, and the most reviews, are Nikon, Canon, and now Sony. And they all spend massively on product promotion. You know, I'd bet every cent I have that if you gave me the same ongoing ad and PR budget for the MX-1, I'd have people lining up for it. It is a good camera with real selling features and would be easy to market.
02-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If the MX-1 brand name was either Canon, Nikon or Sony it would have sold many times over because of marketing brand name and reach of the big companies.

Dale
02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I'll go and find the lens diagrams, but in the mean time you can 1. compare the spec sheets or 2. look at both from the front (yeah, it's that simple).
For you perhaps this is enough, for me it's not proof of anything but similar specs, something you can find with any number of products on the market.

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
It's not the first time this has been done and not the last.
I repeat:
>>I'm not disputing it, I just want proof which is not based on similarities and rumors or that it's been done before with other models<<

I'm quite willing to accept the internals and lens were all made by the same company, but I'm not ready to accept forum hearsay which is based largely on repeated hearsay which basically has gone a little viral. Both cameras might be quite similar due to current technology and pricing/competitive reasons but I shy away from saying is an identical camera - that's way too absolute without supporting evidence.
02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I love my MX-1...
But let's be a little objective. When it first was released, it was $300 more expensive than it is now. It was also released much later to the market than other compacts in its class such as the LX7, XZ-2 and Fuji X20.