Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

MX-1 Video samples

Stills are simply awesome, but I'm also quite impressed with the MX-1 for video in spite of having little manual control over movie settings.
I've only shot cats and stuff around the garden so far but it has enthused me enough to have a promised place in the bag for the first Mako bitumen sprint event in my area in March.
The stereo mics also seem much better quality than the K-01 and certainly less noisy in my experience.

These birds obliged me this morning by ignoring me while they held their meeting. The 4x optical zoom of the MX-1 is enough to get closer and retain sharpness from it's great lens (although YouTube encoding has smudged some of the fine detail unfortunately)
Hand held and SR was 'on' for this sample.

02-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #2

Looks decent, but how about low light?
02-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, looks good enough in daylight ...the audio sound very clear as well.
02-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
Looks decent, but how about low light?
I have little occasion to need to shoot anything in low light, so it's not high on my it must do list, but I'll try it out sometime and post the results in this thread.
I would imagine the auto exposure and auto ISO will produce some noise, though the fast lens will definitely be a help.

02-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, here's a short vid in low'ish light (one fluoro) - thank goodness for cats

The last two clips in the sequence SR was 'off'
AWB used.

02-26-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
klh
Site Supporter

I've never tried embedding video from my smugmug account, so bear with me if this doesn't work.

MX-1 in Paris. I love the one-touch video feature.

02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I love the one-touch video feature.
I don't use the Red button (one touch) video feature because it uses fixed picture style defaults where there is too much contrast and sharpness. Using the Video mode allows me to change picture style settings (Cont/Off - Sharp/Off - Sat/Off) This gives me some latitude in post.
02-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't use the Red button (one touch) video feature because it uses fixed picture style defaults where there is too much contrast and sharpness. Using the Video mode allows me to change picture style settings (Cont/Off - Sharp/Off - Sat/Off) This gives me some latitude in post.
Hi Steve,

I am not a video guy at all and have a question for you. Do you leave the autofocus off or on? If you leave it off, do you prefocus on a point before you start recording? Thanks.

02-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
klh
Site Supporter

Great suggestion Steve. I'm not nearly as advanced with video. I'll have to play around with it some more.
02-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bowdish67 Quote
I am not a video guy at all and have a question for you. Do you leave the autofocus off or on? If you leave it off, do you prefocus on a point before you start recording? Thanks.
AutoFocus for video mode on the MX-1 means it will auto re-focus as the subject focal length changes during capture. So I leave video AF "off'.
What happens is the camera will first lock focus when the shutter is half pressed, so you have a fixed focus point this way. This is what I do because leaving AF on in video mode, the MX-1 constantly seeks to micro adjust focus (micro hunting) even with the camera stationary which makes for much less sharp video.
I also lock AE. Which means I point the camera to a light source I want to meter off, press the AE-L and then shoot. (note: I have the histogram enabled on screen)
SR seems to be pretty good with the MX-1, much better than the K-01. I think this might be using sensor shift because it has that smooth floating motion and the typical bounce back when you stop panning. (If the internals are also the same as the Olympus model, then this would make sense)

Also, if you want a soft blurry background to your subject, step back then use the full 4x optical zoom.
PS: The exposure comp dial is also useful in video (gain).

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 02-27-2014 at 02:01 PM.
02-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Forum Member

AutoFocus for video mode on the MX-1 means it will auto re-focus as the subject focal length changes during capture. So I leave video AF "off'.
What happens is the camera will first lock focus when the shutter is half pressed, so you have a fixed focus point this way. This is what I do because leaving AF on in video mode, the MX-1 constantly seeks to micro adjust focus (micro hunting) even with the camera stationary which makes for much less sharp video.
I also lock AE. Which means I point the camera to a light source I want to meter off, press the AE-L and then shoot. (note: I have the histogram enabled on screen)
SR seems to be pretty good with the MX-1, much better than the K-01. I think this might be using sensor shift because it has that smooth floating motion and the typical bounce back when you stop panning. (If the internals are also the same as the Olympus model, then this would make sense)

Also, if you want a soft blurry background to your subject, step back then use the full 4x optical zoom.
PS: The exposure comp dial is also useful in video (gain).
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer - some great tips sprinkled in there! I'm excited to give the video a try tonight - thanks again.
03-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I'd love to get my hands on a file from the mx1 that i can play around with in post. wide scene, landscape.
Possible?
Here's the google drive link to three videos straight out of the MX-1.
Click the thumbnail which plays the [google] re compressed preview, then find the download link [an arrow pointing downwards] bottom right of the screen for the original .MOV file.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwSAsvC6B0lNTTZhRVNmeWpyTG8

*Natural picture style. Saturation right off, contrast off and sharpness off. No SR.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-05-2014 at 05:46 PM.
03-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's the google drive link to three videos straight out of the MX-1.
Click the thumbnail which plays the [google] re compressed preview, then find the download link [an arrow pointing downwards] bottom right of the screen for the original .MOV file.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwSAsvC6B0lNTTZhRVNmeWpyTG8

*Natural picture style. Saturation right off, contrast off and sharpness off. No SR.
Not bad actually.
Does it have a muted picture style as well?
03-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Does it have a muted picture style as well?
No.
Bright/Natural/Vibrant/Reversal/Monochrome