Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #1

Waterproof is not waterproof

Pentax cameras WG-10 thera are 4. cameras with seral numbers:2606391, 2606392, 2606393, 2606394. That cameras has to be waterproof for 15m, but they all laks water after 15 cm of water. Bran new i send them to service, but they did not accept the fact that the cameras lak water and they insist to tell me that the cameras are 100% waterprof. AND THEY DID NOT ACCEPT THE RECLAMATION. The return the usless cameras, and recoman me to by others.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 03:35 AM ----------

they are not serius

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf FR41073636-1-v1.pdf (42.0 KB, 182 views)
02-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm, well, yes. My WG-3 has developed a fault after a few months of irregular use: It can't be shut off completely now, one of the ring flash lights surrounding the lens is always on when the battery is inserted, and this leads to battery drain within a few hours. This is also because water leaked into it.

I don't care enough to go through with a reclamation though - I got it as a toy, and I can still use it on the beach / for the kids to play with - and now I got an underwater case for my k5: Even if the case should turn out to be defective, I have a high level of confidence in the weather proofing of my k5. In my experience, Pentax delivers top quality on their top equipment, but their consumer gear never impressed me much.

I'm sorry to hear that your reclamation was turned down. Was it turned down by the retailer or by the Pentax repair service?
02-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
It was turn down by Pentax service. It is dificult to belive, but that happend to FOUR ( 4 ) cameras with similar body numbers.
02-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

...but your pdf suggests "Replacement proposal for a OptioWG3 (with all reserve of the availability of the camera)." That sounds like an ok deal? Didn't you get a WG3 to replace it then?

02-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Who refuse it?
02-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
The test was made in France. It is in the Adobe atac
PM2S France
Z.A. Croix Bonnet
7 rue Georges Méliès
78390 BOIS D'ARCY
Franceh.
02-24-2014, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Let me get this straight.
  • You bought four cameras (WG 10, no longer made)
  • All leaked after submersion in 15cm water for an undetermined amount of time
  • You want replacements under warranty
  • Pentax pressure tested camera(s?) and found it to be waterproof to advertised standard (10m/2hrs)
  • Pentax found internal damage (oxidation) to camera consistent with misuse
  • Pentax offered replacement with the current model WG 3 at a little under current retail price
So, what technical issue* is it that you want help with...or is your post just a rant?

If it is a technical issue, I would suggest that you not submerge your cameras for long periods of time in 15cm of water.

Steve

* Originally posted in technical troubleshooting section of site.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-24-2014 at 10:53 AM.
02-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Let me get this straight.
  • You bought four cameras (WG 10, no longer made)
  • All leaked after submersion in 15cm water for an undetermined amount of time
  • You want replacements under warranty
  • Pentax pressure tested camera(s?) and found it to be waterproof to advertised standard (10m/2hrs)
  • Pentax found internal damage (oxidation) to camera consistent with misuse
  • Pentax offered replacement with the current model WG 3 at a little under current retail price
So, what technical issue* is it that you want help with...or is your post just a rant?

If it is a technical issue, I would suggest that you not submerge your cameras for long periods of time in 15cm of water.

Steve

* Originally posted in technical troubleshooting section of site.
Pretty sure is more of a rant rather than anything else.
Understandable... I guess... but still, for such an old camera(s) that I guess were bought in "used" condition(!?)... is expected.
Pentax offer was quite nice though.

02-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Pretty sure is more of a rant rather than anything else.
Understandable... I guess... but still, for such an old camera(s) that I guess were bought in "used" condition(!?)... is expected.
Pentax offer was quite nice though.
Yep. Expectations are often high for these cameras and most people do not understand that "waterproof" is determined by pressure, time, and frequency to depth. They also don't understand that momentary high pressure (e.g. forced impact at the water's surface, hose spray, waterfalls, white water, surf) may result in water intrusion with even commercial grade enclosures.

Steve
02-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Anyway, a WG-camera has its value as a toy you can bring to the pool/beach and not worry to much about harming or losing, and I have some nice family snapshots from mine. But I found a (toy level) underwater case for my K5, which allows me to take THAT to the pool, and for anyone seriously interested in IQ that definitely takes the fun to new levels (at less on an expense, assuming you have a DSLR already). I have pictures with both the WG-3 and the K5 + housing in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/252619-people-underwater-fun.html - and the difference is very obvious.
02-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Anyway, a WG-camera has its value as a toy you can bring to the pool/beach and not worry to much about harming or losing, and I have some nice family snapshots from mine. But I found a (toy level) underwater case for my K5, which allows me to take THAT to the pool, and for anyone seriously interested in IQ that definitely takes the fun to new levels (at less on an expense, assuming you have a DSLR already). I have pictures with both the WG-3 and the K5 + housing in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/252619-people-underwater-fun.html - and the difference is very obvious.
So neat! I'll have to get myself one once I upgrade to the K3 and can retire my K5 as an anything goes camera.
02-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think their offer on the WG-3 is pretty poor.. you can buy that camera all day for 200 dollars brand new. Why would I go through pentax support to buy it? Does it even come with the full warranty exchanged this way?

I guess that is their way of saying "Sorry, I cannot help you" without really saying it.
03-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
Forum Member

The Optio W30 that Racer gave me was a replacement for someone who had bought it and had trouble with the waterproof feature. The story from the guy was that he had purchased the camera, taken it to the beach and used it to take pictures in and around the surf. Then it apparently had gotten seawater inside the case and quit working. The guy returned it, Pentax replaced it with a brand new one, and not wanting to have the problem repeat itself they guy put it up for sale.

Racer bought it for something like half the cost new, and gave it to me as a Christmas gift. He also told me that it would be a great camera to take on our kayak trips down the river we live on, as there would be no concern if it got wet. It has made many trips down the river, and also on kayak adventures on local lakes, without a single problem.

I think maybe the guy who had water intrusion problems may have been careless and not closed the battery/SD card door properly. I have looked at that and been concerned myself that if I am not careful it may let water in.

Now that the camera is 7 years old Racer wants to give me a new Optio, but I keep telling him this one works fine and there are better things to spend money on.

I think he just wants a new compact camera.

But he has the K5IIs and doesn't need a point and shoot.
03-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I have retired my W-60 and WG-1 from underwater use. They WILL leak eventually... I will use them in harsh and/or rainy weather... but not underwater.
I use my GoPros and an old W-30 ($10 from eBay) for underwater now...
04-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I personally will never buy another "waterproof" camera from Pentax. I originally had the WG90 which worked great for a while until the last day of a vacation I was on the camera decided not to be waterproof anymore and filled with salt water for no reason. Then just this past week the WG2 I bought to replace that camera decided that it was not going to be waterproof as well after beiging used for 5 minutes into a snorkeling excursion I was on in Belize. It worked perfectly fine for five minutes in the water then I got "memory card error" flashing on the screen, it started flashing purple and then the camera went dead. Now when I put a battery in all the LED lights come on around the lens and I can't turn the camera on or off. I am in the process of writing a not so nice letter to Pentax about this. I can see this happening once but too have it happen twice is unacceptable. I fully believe in the SLR's but I am done with the point and shoot "adventure" cameras.