Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Mx-1 ovf add-on?

Just wondering if anyone had considered adding a cold shoe to the MX-1 to enable use of an optical viewfinder. I'm not quite sure if this could be done. I use a Lumix 24mm optical viewfinder on my Samsung TL-500 and love it for fast shooting/bright light and composition - it also enables me to shut down its fully articulated screen and save power.

I am anxiously awaiting my MX-1 from Adorama - at the price I could't resist! I suspect that it and my TL-500 will become 'fast' friends. These serious compacts have become my preferred travel companions. The ability to use an ovf on the Pentax would be nice.

02-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wjhawthorne3 Quote
Just wondering if anyone had considered adding a cold shoe to the MX-1 to enable use of an optical viewfinder. I'm not quite sure if this could be done. I use a Lumix 24mm optical viewfinder on my Samsung TL-500 and love it for fast shooting/bright light and composition - it also enables me to shut down its fully articulated screen and save power.

I am anxiously awaiting my MX-1 from Adorama - at the price I could't resist! I suspect that it and my TL-500 will become 'fast' friends. These serious compacts have become my preferred travel companions. The ability to use an ovf on the Pentax would be nice.
You could always mount a optical viewfinder onto flash bracket, or even a homemade small flash bracket that would screw into your tripod mount. The other option would be epoxy or double sided tape onto the top with a cold shoe. Id go with option A
02-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can add a cold shoe mount but that will either involve drilling the top plate or gluing the mount to the top plate - both will ruin the camera.
The idea for the bracket that goes to your tripod mount sounds nice... but I have a feeling you might be having problems with overlapping the bracket over some controls.

Personally, I think that the best idea will be to have an LCD viewfinder rather than trying to reinvent the camera with a cold shoe just to have an optical viewfinder and possibly damage the camera.
02-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

I wish they would have had a MX2, but I don't think it will happen

02-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
I wish they would have had a MX2, but I don't think it will happen
A lot of people are wishing the same thing (myself included) but chances are very, very small... only time will tell.
02-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
You can add a cold shoe mount but that will either involve drilling the top plate or gluing the mount to the top plate - both will ruin the camera.
The idea for the bracket that goes to your tripod mount sounds nice... but I have a feeling you might be having problems with overlapping the bracket over some controls.

Personally, I think that the best idea will be to have an LCD viewfinder rather than trying to reinvent the camera with a cold shoe just to have an optical viewfinder and possibly damage the camera.
Good thoughts - definitely would not wish to compromise the camera - I probably should just stick using the ovf on my TL-500.
02-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For the life of me I can't see why anyone would need one. The tilting screen makes this camera usable in practically all situations.
I've never struggled even in the brightest sun (and we get a fair bit of that in Australia).