Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I am sending the X-5 back. My wife says she will stick with her Pentax film SLR.
After reading up on it I believe she thinks the X-5 is too complicated and would be a hassle to operate in anything other than auto-everything mode.
I understand and have much the same feeling about highly automated cameras and digital in general.

Chris

05-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when I see this thread, my first reaction is that how can similar type of bridge camera still demand much money like the Lumix FZ200 superzoom with similar sensor size and yet compare to this Pentax x-5 which is so cheap. The only thing I can think of is the "Leica" lens on the camera that makes the big difference I suppose.
05-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #18
Forum Member

the fz200 is special because it has a constant 2.8 aperture for one thing at least in my opinion. Plus, so many people love it (has good press) that they evidently don't have to lower the price There are cheaper lumixes available but that fz200 is different/evidently special.
06-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had an FZ200 for a few months, and while it had a beautiful EVF and fairly good results from that f2.8 lens, I didn't really gel with it. The smaller sensor meant that, as soon as you start to crop, artifacts creep in to the photos. And I like to crop. Since then, I've wondered if a cheap X-5 might be suitable as a point 'n shooter.

Regards

06-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
I had an FZ200 for a few months, and while it had a beautiful EVF and fairly good results from that f2.8 lens, I didn't really gel with it. The smaller sensor meant that, as soon as you start to crop, artifacts creep in to the photos. And I like to crop. Since then, I've wondered if a cheap X-5 might be suitable as a point 'n shooter.

Regards
if you didn't like the fz200, I don't see why you'd like the X-5. I just ordered an fz70, so would sell you my X-5.
06-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #21

yep amazing cameras imo , so easy to use and great photos virtually everytime - i got the Q too which again is excellent but can be hard sometimes to focus
or get set up .

i really have no complaints about the x-5 at all .
06-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulcote Quote
if you didn't like the fz200, I don't see why you'd like the X-5
Good point. I didn't like the loss of resolution when cropping, however the new Panasonic FZ1000 might be a totally different story. 1" sensor (4x larger than previous model), 16x zoom and 4k recording.
Panasonic Australia

Regards

06-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #23
Forum Member

I just got the lumix fz70 refurb camera). I like the ergonomics of the Pentax X-5 better than the lumix. Also, the back screen is better on the Pentax (looks nicer, clearer or something) and it tilts. The Panasonic seems bulkier . Well, I do like both cameras. I think even the eyecup viewfinder on the X-5 is nicer to use than the one on the lumix. The lumix does have that intelligent auto and super duper zoom. (60x) I tried focusing on the moon with he X-5 and had a hard time with it. Maybe I was doing something wrong. It was a cloudy moon after all. I didn't have time to do any manual focusing.

Yesterday I went out walking the dog with the Lumix Z70 and I noticed that I try to do nice creative shots, but when I have the Q with me, it feels more like I am finding more artistic shots. Sort of like an attitudinal thing I have with the cameras. I think I would say the same for the X-5 as opposed to the Q.

The Pentax MX-1 has them both beat for street shooting. At least the original Q beat as it has that larger sensor and also the tilt screen. The Q7 of course has a large sensor.

Well a recent post (I think it was the X-5 review) they got the X-5 for 89 dollars. Thats a real good deal. I paid 119USD delivered and thought I got a good deal. The X-5 is actually really cool looking. It looks more like a DSLR than my K500! haha. For me the benefits of the X-5 are the menu system, the nice screen that tilts, and the optical viewfinder. The downside is that it is bulky (but most bridge cameras are bulky). I think for just a little less zoom, the ZS-19 is wonderful as it is pocketable. (it has a 20X zoom). And that zs-19 has intelligent auto too which is pretty cool. But the X-5 is way better if you want to get low shots of pets for example, and it has that viewfinder which is essential in my opinion in order to see in bright sunlight.
06-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Daughter's birthday is coming up and she has expressed an interest in photos shot by something other than an iPhone. Ran across an X-5 return at a big box store that was like new. All the items were there and still shrink wrapped and for $89.00, I could not pass it up. Like a diligent father, I took it out for a test drive to ensure all was in working order. One word -- IMPRESSIVE. Nice feature set and very good picture quality. Gives a sense of working with a DSLR w/ kit super-zoom, minus a few features and the removable/swappable lens. This camera is the perfect starter camera to see how she takes to exploring photography without springing for a more costly and complicated DSLR. Wish it allowed for a UV or CPL filter to be mounted, however.
04-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
i bought a x-5 black and im a begginer in photography... trying to capture picture of moon but im still unable to take a good picture... plz help...

else when i save a picture taken in 16M mode in a computer from camera and i open it with microsoft viewer,, i zoom it in but its pixel splash.. i can zoom a picture to check detailing of a picture...

help me on both things.

thank you... here are some pictures i took...
04-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Forum Member

I took a pretty decent blood moon photo with the x-5. First of all, i used no tripod, and probably one should be used, but this was a spur of the evening shot. I took a lot of shots, at least 20, using different settings. Mine is just a little grainy from being cropped and from the high iso setting. I should have run it through an antinoise program but the noise was not too bad. I wanted realistic.

My settings for the best one, as shown at my photo site were: f/5.9, 1/4 sec., EV +2/3, iso 3200, and focus length 95.6., 16mm mode. Manual. I don't remember what "manual" was. Could have been Aperture Priority.

I know, a weird combination of settings and I am surprised at the 1/4 sec hand-held. I just know I was going back and forth with a lot of settings, holding it taut to my neck.

I sold my x-5 to my cousin. Actually I had bought a Panny FZ200 when they were on sale at Christmas for the additional reach. He enjoys it very much. My conclusion is it is a good camera. Experiment a lot and it will serve you well.
04-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This is the rule I use when taking moon shots ...

Basic Lunar 11 Rule (For Moon shots)

1. Set f-stop to f/11
2. Set the shutter speed to the setting nearest to the selected ISO film speed.
3. Start with ISO 100 and 1/100 @ f/11 and work from there keeping the below note in mind.

** Note: Aperture and shutter speed can be adjusted up or down as long as you compensate as follows:

• Adjustment of 1-step higher f-stop would require 1-step slower shutter speed.
• Adjustment of 1-step lower f-stop would require 1-step faster shutter speed.

Keep in mind lower ISO results on lower noise but longer shutter speeds.