Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX-1 or XZ-2. $50.00 difference?

Seems like the Pentax suffers from buffering issues which could be problematic for something like whale watching. Since I have a K2000 and K30 the interface should be easy to get used to. The lens ring on the XZ2 seems a nice touch which might be worth the extra $50.00. Other than that it seems these two cameras should have identical IQ and ISO performance when shooting RAW.

Style-wise I like the idea of a "retro" look (the MX-1 in an X20 form factor would be ideal) but in the end IQ is more important. Nevertheless, I think the screen on the back is horribly out of place on the MX-1 (at least on the silver version) but looks appropriate on the XZ-2. Then there is that, the screen or more accurately the lack of a viewfinder. Not having a viewfinder in sunlight seems like it would be the real Achilles heel of both the MX-1 and the XZ-2.

What say you?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 03-10-2014 at 10:17 PM.
03-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have an XZ-1. My only problem with the XZ-2 is it's bigger than the XZ-1 (the XZ-1 just barely fits in my front pocket - not sure the XZ-2 would).

If you already know the size is OK I'd say get the Olympus for functionality. But it's true the menus on the XZ-1 are nothing great - I still fumble around in them sometimes.

Also, the XZ-1 was one of the first compact cameras with its RAW files supported in Capture One (they probably liked the camera for the same reasons I did). So you might check on RAW support first as well.
03-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sorry Pentax, the XZ-2 wins simply due to the hotshoe. I was looking at one the other day, it seemed very well made, comfortable and very handsome
03-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The wife rejected the XZ-2 because it has a touch screen and she doesn't like them. The MX1 which she chose and not me she loves. The lack of hot shoe doesn't worry her. I use a Nikon P7700 as my small camera as I can plug in a microphone when I take video on the run. I feel the images from the MX1 are much better.

03-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A black MX-1 arrived this evening and my first impressions are all positive. The size and weight are perfect and slightly reminiscent of my first 35mm rangefinder as a kid (yes, an OVF would be nice). It's small enough to bring along without debate, large enough and with enough weight that, in the hand, it feels like a proper photographic tool. Since I ride motorbikes most of the time and wear a jacket of some sort the inability to fit into a shirt or jeans pocket is a non-issue; when I drive I always carry a back pack so, again, non-issue for me. The menu structure is familiar and logical (I have a K2000 and K30). In black, the LCD isn't nearly as obtrusive as it is in silver; it's a handsome camera.

I wouldn't have bought this for the original MSRP, and I decided the Oly is just outside my comfort zone for a walkabout camera, so the MX1's current price is low enough that I can accept the limitations that have been brought up in many reviews and opinions. I wanted an affordable walking around alternative to my DSLR kit, other than just my phone, and that's what this is and more. Barring a defective unit, it's clear from all the photos that have been posted here and elsewhere that IQ will be just fine; certainly better than my phone.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 03-12-2014 at 11:09 PM.
03-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos from the MX-1 have the wow factor imho..
You'll love it

BTW: The LCD is black even on the silver plate version.
03-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, the black LCD on the silver version looks very out of place. That's why I opted for black; the LCD, while still not very elegant, doesn't look nearly as tacked on.
04-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

So, the Pentax is 249.00 pretty much everywhere... and the XZ-2 is selling on Amazon for 199.00!!

Might be hard to resist... though I do like the look of the MX-1 pictures better. But Oly has hotshoe and mic in... and I think a slightly better video mode - though it is pretty noisy... and 5x zoom vs 4x in the Pentax...
But Pentax has image stabilization, and that counts for a lot. It's what makes my MZ-18 useful even though the sensor technology is so old.

Edit: actually - just saw some videos of how noisy the AF and the zoom of the Oly are. It's really bad! The MX-1 videos don't show that much noise. Maybe I just need to get the MX-1!

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-29-2014 at 11:54 AM.
04-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So, the Pentax is 249.00 pretty much everywhere... and the XZ-2 is selling on Amazon for 199.00!!
Hmm, I'm not seeing the $199 price for the XZ-2-- is it a lightning deal? The price I see on Amazon, as well as other retailers, is around $299. Which makes the MX-1 for $250 a good deal, and the $199 I paid for my MX-1 an absolute steal!
04-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hmmmm I don't see it anymore.... I see it for 292.00...

Edit: I see refurbished for 249.00...