Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX-1 real world "lag" times.

So many have brought up the write times and lock out times but I haven't found any actual times. The two burst modes are JPEG only and increase frame rate even more than the following but for the sake of comparison I've not included those numbers. I'm using continuous shooting mode as a point of comparison since it's the only mode that can be used with all three file format capture settings.

Also, I do mean "lock out" as in, you've taken all the pix you going to take until the buffer empties, i.e. you've taken 5 continuous RAW+ shots and you will not be taking anymore for the next nine seconds. Full stop. You're not just locked out of changing settings, you cannot take anymore pix. Again, full stop. Okay, here are the numbers:

Capture format: total frames (and approximate seconds per frame) before full buffer / lock out time
  • RAW+: 5 frames (@1.3 seconds per frame) / 9 seconds lock
  • RAW: 7 frames (@1.2 seconds per frame) / 11 seconds lock
  • JPEG: 39 frames (@1 second per frame) / 16 seconds lock

What I've concluded is that for certain situations where you need to shoot at a high frame rate (capturing a whale breaching while you're in a rocking boat) you're gonna have to live with a JPEG>Photoshop workflow. For other situations that don't require rapid fire capture (a particularly beautiful sunset on your evening commute through the mountains) you'll get to use your full RAW>Lightroom>Photoshop workflow. It's a walk-around camera that works great for snapshots and is even better for occasional, carefully considered, moments of languid, higher quality, photographic reflection in spite of leaving your DSLR behind. For the current price, I'll call that versatile instead of limiting.*

Cloud, meet silver lining.

*However at the original MSRP I'll call that, "WTH were you thinking Hoya?"

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 03-14-2014 at 06:03 PM.
03-14-2014, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Whenever I see complaints about the MX-1 being slow and RAW writing holding everything up, I have to wonder how many FPS could you shoot with the original Pentax MX? When the roll of film was spent (12/24 or 36 shots), how long before you could shoot another roll.?

I think some folks might be expecting too much of a retro style camera which was built for class and quality. There are other machine-gunning cameras around for the impatient type to buy.
03-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this.

Just to clarify, where you say 1.3 frames per second for RAW+, I'm guessing you really meant 1.3 seconds per frame, right? Because the JPEG-only mode should be faster than the RAW+ mode.

Totally agree about the price points. At the current $250 price it is a great camera. At the recent $200 price it was an absolute no-brainer.
03-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Whenever I see complaints about the MX-1 being slow and RAW writing holding everything up, I have to wonder how many FPS could you shoot with the original Pentax MX? When the roll of film was spent (12/24 or 36 shots), how long before you could shoot another roll.?
I think about 1 second between shots with a winder on it... also depending on the light conditions (if you take exposure time in consideration as well).

03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Thanks for posting this.

Just to clarify, where you say 1.3 frames per second for RAW+, I'm guessing you really meant 1.3 seconds per frame, right? Because the JPEG-only mode should be faster than the RAW+ mode.

Totally agree about the price points. At the current $250 price it is a great camera. At the recent $200 price it was an absolute no-brainer.
Whoops. Fixed.