Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
How does this model compare up with cannon compacts please? Are they better then Cannon compacts?

03-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AuraTodd Quote
How does this model compare up with cannon compacts please? Are they better then Cannon compacts?
'Than'

And Canon has only one 'n'
Which model are you wanting to compare against? And for what feature or features?
Too many variables so I will just say that the MX-1 is better than any Canon compact because it is
03-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I knew me spelling would get me into trouble

QuoteQuote:
Which model are you wanting to compare against?
canon Powershot SX260 HS
03-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Canon SX260 HS vs Pentax MX-1 - Our Analysis

MX-1 wins

03-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I heard the sensor is better, but the zoom struggle's a bit.
03-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Aura, according to what you have stated in your similar thread at the UK Pentaxuser forum, you already own a Canon SX260 HS, therefore you don't really need an MX-1 to take photographs. But, like many of us you're naturally curious about other cameras. Thing is, there is only one action that will satisfy your curiosity and answer all of your questions properly and that is of course to buy an MX-1 and see for yourself.
All you will get here or any other forum are other people's opinions which relate to their own experiences, preferences and expectations - none of which can give you anything other than more curiosity and questions. Buy one before they're gone for good.

FWIIW, I have owned a G10, G12, IXUS 220HS and S95 and I ended up selling every one as I was never happy with the feel or performance and neither did I like the colours from Canon cameras. I have vowed never to be tempted again by Canon compacts..
03-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AuraTodd Quote
I heard the sensor is better, but the zoom struggle's a bit.
Not true!
Zoom works very well and is quite fast for my taste. Even focus is fast.

03-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll have to save up for one
03-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #24

I've had this compact for a week now and I'm now quite happy with it. I used a 2gb Sandisk Extreme III as I had a spare lying around and I had a lot of the "Data Being Recorded" messages on screen when I wanted to be able to change camera settings between shots. Inserted an 8gb Sandisk Extreme Pro and all issues seem to be gone. This was shooting jpeg. Raw is much less of a burden as well as in no writing messages, but you'll see it if trying to view images as their being written.

The quality of the build is very good - my current camera is a Nikon D80 and the little (!) MX-1 is able to hold its own in a quality showdown. Actual images are not that bad either.

Coming from a DSLR and a reasonably fast lens (35mm f2) I realise the MX-1 is a little slow in every respect, but I'm getting to know it a bit better now and I think I'll be keeping it. I mainly bought it as a pocketable holiday camera as I'm fed up carting the Nikon about - of course the discounted price here in the UK was another reason, but the vintage styling was the main one. I was going to get a refurbished Fuji X10 or an X20, but thought the image quality comparisons on dpreview were compelling enough to bag an MX-1. I've already got the X100 lens cap (much better) and have a lovely leather Footprint wrist strap on order.

Here's a shot tonight, long end of the zoom, ISO800, hand held (and after a few pints!). Only thing done was a bit of colour correction in iPhoto.

No doubt in my mind that this is a quality camera and it's becoming more affordable by the week.

Cat is called Sparky!

cheers

D.
03-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #25
Forum Member

It has a bigger sensor than most point and shoot cameras. It has a swivel screen so you can hold it low or high up. It has a very fast lens, f1.8-2.5 with a 4X zoom. It has nice macro down to 1cm . It is a bit big to carry and you can't really put it in a normal jeans pocket. The Pentax menu system is nice. It takes nice videos. Blunty has a nice review of it on youtube. Its more for art photos imo because it doesn't have a superzoom, but the colors are nice. It shoots in RAW if you want. It is great in low light. It has HDR.

you can check out these videos:
and