Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #1

Pentax W35?

I can't believe Pentax is abandonning their waterproof p&s! I have looked at close to 100 pics of Oly's new 1030W and overall, its IQ is still behind Pentax w30 (imo). I think Pentax gave up too soon since there only Oly to compete with; with an improved w30, they should corner the waterproof p&s market easily. So here is my wish for a W35:

-- Optio S12 sensor but with 6meg only: need good iso for those underwater shots.
-- ccd sr.
-- faster lens.
-- raw .
-- evf.
-- lcd optional
-- flash optional

Feel free to add your wishes, but remember try to keep the msrp reasonable.

04-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
Banned

I think that right now pentax is putting all its attention (and money) into their DSLR's and getting the selection of lenses up to par. that and the long awaited medium format.
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Doubt Pentax is abandoning the waterproof P&S. It is a good seller for them. They also have the H20 website. They just aren't ready to change the camera yet. Think this is good. They change P&S so often people get confused (whole industry does it). Don't need new update every 3 months. W30 is still on Pentax price list.
Have been debating between adding an A40, Z10, or W30 to my kit. Do I pick best image quality (A40), biggest range (Z10) or water proof (W30). Don't dive but love a well weather proofed camera for the kayak and bicycle, etc.
Would like a camera with raw and manual control of aperture and shutter speed. Only A40 has manual. Darn it.
thanks
barondla
04-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Barondla, what you would like would be an AZW80.

04-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AWZ80 sounds good to me. Don't see why they can't add manual to any of the cameras. Buy a $150 Samsung compact and it has manual exposure. Actually have a friend that has threatened to sell the ol' 750 Optio. That is the one P&S I regret not buying when new.
I should be happy with the Olympus Stylus 720 (weatherproof), and Pana LX2 that already lives at home. At least the P&S don't take up much room. Still want a Pentax because the menus are so familiar to me.
thanks
barondla
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Damn Brit

The next DSLR is going to be sealed and certified to 200 feet. LOL
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optio W40

I heard that Pentax was about to release the W40, but there was an accident at the plant that made the batteries (Matsushita factory burnt down, I believe).

I don't recall Pentax stating that they were abandoning the Optio line...

1001 Noisy Cameras: CES 2008 Digital Camera Predictions, Speculations and Other Stories

Regards
Ted