Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #22

Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #22
I have a couple compact cameras and both of them only record jpegs, so this month's challenge will be post processing done to a .jpg. I'm sure there's still quite a bit that can be done to it - the entries I submitted last month were done on a .jpg because my software for some reason could not read the raw files properly. Apparently one of them still turned out ok
This picture was actually taken by my wife during our trip to Charleston, NC at the start of fall last year. While I was taking pictures with the K20D she was shooting away with the compact, and some pictures turned out pretty good!

The Rules
1. Have Fun!
2. Use any Post Processing Software and techniques.
3. Entries will close on April 30, 2014 at midnight Eastern Standard Time (a.k.a. New York time).
4. Maximum image dimensions for entries are 1024x768 pixels
5. Max of 3 image entries per person. Entries may be withdrawn or changed
6. List software used, as well as your method, with your entry so we can all learn.
7. There are no limits or restrictions - make the subject image into whatever you want!
But please do not copy or alter other entries....
8. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date, and judge’s the next competition.
9. Have Fun

Link to the file: Free File Sharing and Storage made Simple.

Information for the next host:
The MediaFire website is: mediafire.com
The log in name is: pentaxchallenge @ yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/253316-pentax-co...#ixzz2xdyAk6sd

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio RZ18  Photo 
04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Lovely image!
I have some ideas but it will be some time before I get around to it.

So much to do, so little time
04-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
great choice CR! here's my first crack

first in gimp for cleanup and crop then did virtual exposure blend in gimp (by making high and low exposures using the curves tool then blending them back together) then put it into color efex and used the 'sunset landscape' recipe then back into gimp for finishing touches, which included using some filters from the beautify plugin at small opacities, and some small curves color adjustments and then some selective usm sharpening using g'mic

Last edited by todd; 04-01-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added editing details
04-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm liking it already, Todd.

And Joe will be happy that this time, the bird doo doo will definitely be worked out of the picture every time

(man, we need a thumbs up smiley...)

I'm excited about seeing all you capable guys and gals taking a crack at this

04-01-2014, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Nice work todd! heres my #. several nik filters plus some birds added , removed guano and the pole towards end of dock on left side
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio RZ18  Photo 
04-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

you did an amazing job with the birds. wow
04-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
you did an amazing job with the birds. wow
Thanks todd. Seemed like it needed a flock.
04-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Striking job! I just knew to expect the unexpected from you, ivoire Love the attention to the details like shadows and such.

04-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Great results, todd and ivoire!
Impressive.
04-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

@ChristianRock... where was this taken? reminds me of the many beautiful marshland sunsets i've seen in FL. i pass by Marietta about 4x per yr but don't ever remember seeing vistas like this. Appreciate your and Barts comments
04-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ivoire - I did put a little description of the picture and where it was taken at the OP Charleston, NC. Not too far from Florida, so you're not that far off

There's some lakes here that offer some nice sunsets as well, but it's just different when it's by the sea!
04-05-2014, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

A beautiful scene to work with.

I started in LR with some fiddling to the exposure and applied a crop. This also got rid of some 'distracting elements'

This version, I edited in 3 plug-ins:

Color Efex 4, starting from a filter Midnight.

FilmPack 4 - Fuji Velvia 50 emulation

With these rich colours, one has to be slightly obsessed to go a b&w route
Nevertheless.
Silver Efex 2

Last edited by Bart; 04-06-2014 at 08:02 AM.
04-05-2014, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Edited on my laptop so the colours might not be great.

04-05-2014, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #14
ghl

This is a nice photo, and I liked the way the wood bannister leads the eye to the roof of the pier which points to the setting sun with an angle approximating the clouds -- so this is what I tried to emphasize as much as possible given the brightness of the sun.

First, I masked off the sky/clouds (sans the sun and the immediate bright areas) and did a noise reduction pass. Then, with the same mask I increased contrast, reduced red and boosted blue -- not much really -- if was mostly a contrast adjustment.

Then I masked off the wood bannister/wharf and sharpened with a radius of 2.4px by a small amount (don't remember) to bring out the micro-contrast. I also increased the gamma with this mask (too much I think, now.)

After this I created a orange mask and multiplied it into the whole scene, not much at all, just enough to give it a little glow.

Then I masked off the red of the lens flare and halos around the sun and added a small amount of green/blue.

After this I masked off just the top of the bannister, top of the upright kickboard on the wharf, and the planks with some shadow area and overlayed a yellow/gold color.

In the last step I selectively sharpened the wharf, bannister, and the reeds in the water, cloned out the large structure in the distant right, the guano, and cropped to get rid of the "pipe" on the left.

Last edited by ghl; 03-04-2015 at 12:52 PM.
04-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooey Quote
Edited on my laptop so the colours might not be great.
Nothing wrong with those colours!

(seen on another laptop )

QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
This is a nice photo, and I liked the way the wood bannister leads the eye to the roof of the pier which points to the setting sun with an angle approximating the clouds -- so this is what I tried to emphasize as much as possible given the brightness of the sun.

First, I masked off the sky/clouds (sans the sun and the immediate bright areas) and did a noise reduction pass. Then, with the same mask I increased contrast, reduced red and boosted blue -- not much really -- if was mostly a contrast adjustment.

Then I masked off the wood bannister/wharf and sharpened with a radius of 2.4px by a small amount (don't remember) to bring out the micro-contrast. I also increased the gamma with this mask (too much I think, now.)

After this I created a orange mask and multiplied it into the whole scene, not much at all, just enough to give it a little glow.

Then I masked off the red of the lens flare and halos around the sun and added a small amount of green/blue.

After this I masked off just the top of the bannister, top of the upright kickboard on the wharf, and the planks with some shadow area and overlayed a yellow/gold color.

In the last step I selectively sharpened the wharf, bannister, and the reeds in the water, cloned out the large structure in the distant right, the guano, and cropped to get rid of the "pipe" on the left.
An impressive set of steps!