Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I want a P&S camera that will give me the 'control' of an SLR if I want it but still retain all of the gimmicky features that you normally get with P&S like face detection, anti-shake and all that crap. I want to go from 'scene' mode to Av if I want to, I want to control shutter speed and ISO. But I want it with 1/4th the footprint of my K10D.
It sounds like you and I might be in a similar situation. I'm looking for a small, "pocket-sized" point-and-shoot that still offers some basic control (A-S-M modes), has an OK lens, acceptable ISO performance (not DSLR quality, just good ISO 100-400) and good JPEG processing. I'm also only willing to spend between $100 and $300 on a point-and-shoot.

I own three Pentax DSLRs, an old Olympus C-5050, and a Panasonic FZ50 but I want a compact point-and-shoot for those quick moments where I don't have time to grab a camera out of my bag.

The C-5050 is just a little too big and much too slow. The FZ50 is bigger than my old *ist DL with the DA 40 attached. My K10D bodies are likewise too big to fit in my pocket for shooting at a moment's notice.

I was on vacation last weekend and missed several photo opportunities because it took me more than 10-15 seconds to remove my K10D from my bag. By the time I had the camera out the photographic moment had passed.

There are also times (such as when I'm attending a formal dinner as a guest) when I don't want to bring a bulky SLR because it's either not convenient or impolite.

Sometimes an "average" point-and-shoot photo is better than no photo at all.

Anyway, I gave the Pentax E50 serious thought but it lacks enough photographic control and its auto white balance really stinks (and it ONLY has auto white balance ... no presets or manual). The Pentax A40 has serious hit-or-miss issues with autofocus. I realize most cheap point-and-shoot digitals have hit-or-miss autofocus, but I found the A40 "missed" more than it "hit."

I've been considering a couple of different cameras but none of them are "exactly" what I'm looking for. The cameras on my current "short list" are:

Canon A590 IS
Nikon P5100
Panasonic Lumix LZ10 or LZ8

However, my list keeps changing and I haven't made a final choice yet. The problem is that every point-and-shoot camera I've seen so far makes at least one compromise that I don't like. The A590 has less than stellar build quality and slower than usual flash recycle times. The P5100 is a little bigger than I'd like and a little slower than the competition. Every Panasonic camera has poop for image processing and the JPEGs require a lot of work in Photoshop to clean up (even more than usual for a point-and-shoot).

06-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been thinking about getting a P&S myself, but I want RAW, but I don't want to spend the money for the Ricoh or the Sigma. The least expensive camera that you can get new (that I know about) that has RAW and other advanced features is the Canon G9, which runs around $500. Before I moved to a DSLR, I had a G7, which I was pleased with, except for the fact that it didn't offer RAW (stupid move on Canon's part). Fortunately, they came to their senses and put the RAW back in the G9.

Being the frugal person that I am, I still don't want to spend $500 for a camera that will simply be a backup to my K10, so I'm thinking that when I'm actually ready to buy, I'll most likely go on KEH and pick up a G6, which can be had for somewhere in the $300 range.

Buddha, BTW, looks aren't everything. It's what's inside that matters the most.

Heather
06-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Hwblanks, The Panasonic DMC-lx2 (and Leica - think its Digilux 3) have manual exposure, and raw. It also allows shooting in 16:9, 3:2, and 4:3 image formats with the flip of a button. How I love that feature. Picture quality is great. Think its a little less money than Canon. In raw it also shoots jpeg. File sizes are bigger than K10D in raw. A very straight forward camera to use. Very well built.
thanks
barondla

Check out the winners of POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
Ed in GA

I had a Fuji S3000 and found it to be an acceptable P&S Camera.

You might want to take a look at one of the later versions.

FUJIFILM USA | FinePix S8100fd : Overview

Oops, I didn't look at how old this thread is. Fuji 8100fd is still a good recommendation though.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 06-15-2008 at 08:49 AM.
06-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Hwblanks, The Panasonic DMC-lx2 (and Leica - think its Digilux 3) have manual exposure, and raw. It also allows shooting in 16:9, 3:2, and 4:3 image formats with the flip of a button. How I love that feature. Picture quality is great. Think its a little less money than Canon. In raw it also shoots jpeg. File sizes are bigger than K10D in raw. A very straight forward camera to use. Very well built.
thanks
barondla

Check out the winners of POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
I agree that I love the flexibility of my Panasonic Lx1. If you want more control then look at the Panasonic LX line. Very compact with lots of controls and bells and whistles on their newer models. No viewfinder though. That will be hard to find in the current line up of p&s with the controls you desire.
If you don't mind a larger camera the Panasonic fz30 or fz50 are amazingly flexible cameras. I think Fuji has a lot to offer too, I'm just not familiar with their offerings.
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That Panasonic LX2 is a good bit less money than the Canon...
Panasonic | Lumix DMC-LX2 Digital Camera (Black) | DMC-LX2K
It sounds like a great buy, especially when you know it's basically identical to the Leica Digilux 3.

When I do get another camera, I don't know for sure if I'll go smaller in the way of the Panasonic or just get another smaller DSLR body (either the K100D Super or K200D). In the meantime, I've got another couple of lenses I want to buy before buying another camera.

Heather
06-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Theres always another lens. Don't ask me how I know.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That Panasonic looks like the ticket, but more research is needed. I am glad I came back to this forum cuz the P&S bug hit me again today.

06-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Being able to shoot 16:9 format is just incredible to me. This gives the camera a real wideangle lens. Flipping the switch on the barrel allows 4:3 and 3:2. The quality from this little camera is amazing. Check my shot in P&S contest #3. Don't know it could be much better with the K10D.

Things I don't like:
no viewfider. Lcd does have a high brightness setting and an off angle setting.

Can't just shoot raw. Its jpeg+raw and the file sizes are larger than K10D using raw. Min 2gb card recommended.

af a little touchy in macro. Most P&S seem this way to me.

Saw an article in OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAHY by Dewitt jones. He and other pros were carrying this camera. Got my attention.

thanks
barondla

Checkout POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8.
Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I found that DeWitt Jones article:
Basic Jones | Outdoorphotographer.com
I remember reading that article in the print version of the magzine, but I didn't specifically remember the cameras he used.

Barondla, if you've got any of those 16:9 pics, I'd love to see them.

For me, it would be either the Panosonic or the Canon G6 or 9. One thing that the Panasonic has going for it is that it's about half the weight of the G9. On those little cameras, a lack of viewfinder doesn't bother me, as I find the live view gives me a more accurate view when I'm framing my shot. Other than the 1GB "play" card I use in my K10D, the rest of my cards are 4GB each.

Just in case anybody is interested, here is the link to the info on the G9:
Canon Powershot G9 digital camera
According to the specs, it has a widescreen mode, but it didn't say anything specifically about 16:9.

For the record, here are the specs for the Panasonic:
DMC-LX2K - Lumix Digital Cameras - Shop and Compare at Panasonic

This purchase is a good ways off for me, so it's not like I need to make a decision now. Who knows what the camera companies will produce between now and then?

Heather
06-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Barondla, do you have any sample pics with that Lumix that you can show us, well me in particular? I am very curious about the IQ of that camera.
06-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Buddah, did you see my entry in P&S contest #3? It is a vertical 16:9 of white tulips. Check it out. That shot was resized. Didn't do anything else to it (at least I don't think I did). It is the jpeg. Was in a hurry to get it in the contest.
When I saw the 16:9 feature in the specs thought it was a gimmick. Now I leave the camera there most of the time. The Canon would be like all other P&S, a more boring 4:3. Don't forget, the Pana also allows us to shoot what we are used to 35mm-APSc wise, thats 3:2. 16:9 is like having a panorama camera.

May enter another shot with it in contest #8.
thanks
barondla
06-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I saw that tulip shot and it's amazing! If I didn't know it was taken on a p&s, I would've assumed that you took it with a DSLR.

Heather
06-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #29
AML

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess the real issue is what do you want the P&S to do.

I had a pentax EI-200 (2MP) and used it for many years, before it was religated to the shelf in 2005.

It got replaced with a Kodak 7590.

I spent a lot of time going over this decision, but in the end what I wanted was a P&S that had full manual controls and an eye level view finder (it has an electronic viewfinder).

Essentually I wanted a 1 lens mineature version of an SLR, and to this camera I have added a set of close up lenses so that I can do better technical photos when I travel for work.

The only things I wish this camera had were shake reduction, and a different lens. (it comes with a 10x zoom 38-380mm equivelent) I would prefer a 6x 24-150mm equivelent, because it would be much better as a travel camera in that case. (note they offer one like that now)

Unfortunately pentax for some reason does not make a P&S like that, so I went outside the family so to speak
Lowell Goudge, i also have 2 DX7590's and would never part with them. They are such workhorses and they do produce wonderful colours/pics without too much fuss. As you mentioned, it would have been nice if it had SR, but that doesn't detract from the camera too much anyway. I've found when i use my Oly T-Con 17 with it, it doesn't do too badly at wildlife shots.
06-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
Forum Member

consider the fuji e900

It has raw, good 32-128 lens, low noise (super ccd), fast, full manual controls and less menus than some p&s. You can still buy it new for 200 at beach or buy dig (same shop anyway), IQ is a small step below my a30 in perfect light but much better in tougher conditions. Negatives are: 6 sec raw shot to shot and some jpg artifacts. Also the wa attachment you can buy is cheap and sharp corner to corner.