Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

goodbye kr, hello mx-1?

I started shopping around for a new dslr body after having dropped my kr on vacation and breaking the autofocus.I was about to pull the trigger on a k500. The kr was enough camera for the type of shooting i do, chasing my kids for portraits, car show pics, vacations snapshots, so the k500 would be even more camera than I actually need. I accumulated a few lenses over the past years, DA 10-17, FA 35, DA 70, and recently a gray market DA 55-300. Then I came across the MX-1 at half the price of the k-500 and I began questioning myself, my type of photos, and the many times i left the dslr behind because i didn't want to carry it and multiple lenses. 40% of my pics are still taken with the kit 18-55 lense and 40% FA 35. The fisheye and 55-300 are my "fun" lenses that I could do without. I know the the mx won't compare to the kr with the FA 35, but if it took the same quality photos that i've achieved with the kit lense, I would be happy to unload all the dslr bulkiness.

I know that most mx-1 shooters here use it as their back-up camera, but will I be happy with it as my primary camera? I think i've convinced myself to give it a shot. If anyone here thinks i'll be dissapointed, stop me! at worse case, the mx-1 will and up being my back up camera also, and i'll pick up another dslr later on.

04-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the MX-1 would suit you very well.
04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Go for it! I love it. I've used it as a primary for a few day trips. It's very capable -- and affordable
04-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Well I wouldn't mind adding an MX-1 to my bag, but for me a HUGE benefit of a DSLR is the speed and responsiveness. About the only time my K-5II keeps me waiting is to go into review mode. Otherwise its reaction time is such that I'm never left waiting, which makes for a more fluid and less frustrating shooting experience IMHO. While I own and love a Q, the K-5II is in another league with regard to startup, AF, and shot-to-shot times, eg.

Just something to consider, since you say you like to take shots of active kids and whatnot.

04-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the image quality and versatility. For the price, everyone should try one.

It is not exactly compact, but much more so than a dslr. And not a responsive, as previous poster noted. But depending on my needs, which varies with the situation, it its certainly fast enough. A least a fast as shooting with a film camera.
04-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
better as a back-up ...

I own a MX-1 and absolutely love it as a fun, carry around camera when I don't want to lug around my K5 and lenses. The MX-1 image quality is very nice and allows me to capture in RAW files, which I prefer to do. But for me, it couldn't replace a DSLR. The biggest reason is the lack of an optical viewfinder. There have been times when I just couldn't see what I wanted to, and I find it difficult to hold the MX-1 steady while framing and exposing my shot looking through a lcd screen. The MX--1 will handle your needs, but I think it's better as a back-up camera. The prices are great while they last, so I'd buy now and experiment.
04-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The MX-1 is an excellent camera and works from macro to about 110mm equiva;ent. If you shoot longer than this, then a DSLR would be useful. Given the reasonable price, you cold try an MX-1 without a big financial layout and see if it meets your needs. Remember that it does not have a viewfinder if that is important to you.

Dale
04-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Life is too short not to be different. Go for an MX-1. It's a great camera.

04-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
for the price, I'm going to give it a shot. if all goes well I'll be placing lenses for sale...
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm really tempted to just sell a lens or two that I don't really use and/or my K01 body... I've been eyeing that MX1 for the longest time...

The only thing that holds me back is the fact that it does not have a hot-shoe flash mount, which is something that really comes in handy for me. (hot shoe bounce/swivel flash, wireless flash transmitters, all that great stuff...)

But it sounds like you'll have fun with it! Let us know how it is.
09-03-2014, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
just to update this post, I picked up the mx and i'm loving it. i'm still holding on to my dslr equipment, but haven't been compelled to replace the broken Kr with a new dslr yet...time will tell.

some of my mx pics:

10-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My MX-1 arrived today. I got the chrome version. I just got done taking it for a quick spin and I think that it is a neat little critter. I had quite a bit of cash back bonus on my credit card so I am out of pocket all of about $120.
12-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought a used K-r and am now considering selling it and getting the MX-1 instead.

It was bought to be my wife's camera, so it's been just a point and shoot .jpg camera, basically, in her hands. Sometimes I use it as well, but since she's the one that will pick the pictures, and it's her camera, I also end up shooting in .jpg. And honestly I don't see a whole lot of difference between what I get out of that sensor and the DA 35 2.4 after using its internal JPEG engine, and images that I see from the MX-1. I guess if I explored RAW files I could get much better results, but for what it is being used for - point and shoot jpegs - the MX-1 might actually suit us better because it's a much smaller camera that can take similar quality pictures. Since she doesn't really want to learn photography (and ends up taking a lot of out of focus pictures because of that) the MX-1 with face detection on would probably improve her snaps...

Does that make sense? Or should I just stick to the DSLR for her? (I'm keeping my K20D for myself and I would get my DA 35 2.4 back!)
12-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #14

Makes sense. Just let her shoot in one of the Auto modes. The jpegs are fantastic, difficult to improve by raw editing.
12-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

She only shoots jpeg, and I have heard that the jpeg engine is really really good in the mx-1.